Spawning Report: Black Photon Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris x percula)

Its been a frustrating day/week... the type of day that no matter what you do something goes wrong. I did my normal maintenance of the tanks, which included partial water changes in the growout tanks for the clowns. After a water change in the tank that had batches 4 & 5 of 30+ day old babies, all of them died. I've followed the same procedure everytime and use the same water in all the tanks but this time they appeared to all die likely from sudden shock. So I lost both of those batches. Today, I had to do water changes again, and for batch 6 which has about 40 babies 14 days old, all went well until I came back down tonight to check on them and saw that the tank had cracked and was about half empty. I had to move them to another tank which is extremely stressful for both the fish and myself. I'm afraid to wake up tomorrow and see another tank full of dead fish. I also had to move the older fish that are now over 70 days old to another tank because I was having an ammonia issue in the tank they were in and water changes were not taking care of the issue so I am hoping there are no issues in the morning with those as well.... it's not going to be a fun night.

Well some good news. The batch 6 babies all look ok this morning! I may have lost one or two bu the majority look good. The older ones seemed to have made it through the night as well so maybe things are looking up! Fingers crossed...

Batch 1 & 2. 75 DPH. Looking good so far. View attachment 25520
I'm very new to the hobby and still to get my 1st tank up. Your thread is awesome to read through (of course with the exception of the mass die off :( so sorry to see that happen) Thank you sharing this journey and I hope the rest grow up to be great little Nemos!

I'm very new to the hobby and still to get my 1st tank up. Your thread is awesome to read through (of course with the exception of the mass die off :( so sorry to see that happen) Thank you sharing this journey and I hope the rest grow up to be great little Nemos!

Welcome to the hobby and to ARC! Make sure you ask tons of questions because if it weren’t for several people on this forum really helping me out there’s no way I’d have the beautiful reef tank I have today. I also joined before starting my tank up. You can never learn too much before making big purchasing decisions. Check all of your options out before blindly following someone’s suggestions. @sharis100, @aestheticlibra, @hzheng, @dball711, @Adam have been my greatest supporters but there is such a long list of awesome people here I couldn’t begin to name them all. Good luck and have fun with your build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been awhile since I updated this thread. The good news is that all the Photons are doing great. The oldest are now 135 days old and the younger ones are 75 days. Also had a few Bangaii Cardinals released a month ago so they are in with the younger clowns. Adults had stop spawning when I had to move them to another tank when their tank developed a leak and had to be resealed. They have just started spawning again so I'll wait a few clutches before raising any more. Still waiting on my other pairs to start up.... any day now ;)

Back