Ramping back up the breeding setup

bobz

Supporting
Reaction score
It's been awhile, but I am finally getting back to the business of breeding fish. I was able to get a great deal on a sweet setup from a member who was breaking down their systems. I just got the breed stock tanks setup and cycling. I am planning on starting back slow with some clownfish and cardinals to get back in the swing. When I had to stop a few years back due to travel and work, I was working with Tailspot Blennies and my Yasha Shrimp Gobies. Hoping to get another pair of Yasha's and picking up where I left off. Next step will be to get the rotifer cultures back up and running but since I don't have any spawning pairs yet I've got time. If anyone has some spawning clowns and would let me collect the eggs, let me know! I'm happy to come by and collect some. I'll post some pics of the new setup in this thread and keep things updated as they occur. If anyone is currently breeding, and wants to talk reach out! Bob

That's one heck of an endeavor. Looking forward to seeing how things progress.

Thanks! I'll be drilling some 10G tanks this weekend to add to the setup. I hate drilling 10G glass.... hoping to get a couple without breaking the glass!

Glad to see the Breeder's Corner coming Alive Again! Bobz; any chance you'll have some "Naked" Clowns? BTW, glad to hear your back in. Truly; much patience and hard work involved in "Breeding Tank Mates". I look forward to see some pictures of the progress.

Maybe the ARC could invite a "Guess Speaker" like Tah to come to a monthly meeting to talk about the "breeding" aspects of Reef Tanks. Some years back, I was honored to be a participant in a monthly meeting with Tah.

Wannabee

Wannabee. thanks man! I'm just getting some pairs together now and I do like the Naked clowns so if I can find some I may! I'm working on getting the brood stock systems going. Had to drill a few tanks, finally was able to get a few 10's drilled without cracking. I was using my drill press but it was putting too much pressure on the glass and cracked at the last seconds... back to using my hand drill and was able to drill 2 10's without any breakage. Drilled two 20s as well but that glass is thick so never any issues. I got the tanks plumbed up last weekend but screwed up on the plumbing and there was too much weight and stress on them and ended up STILL CRACKING two of the drilled ones! Dang!!! Had to take it all apart and now have to rework the return drains.... and wait for the next Petco 1$ sale! I've got three 20 highs running and starting to stock them now. Still need to crank up the rotifers but was holding off since I don't have anything to start with yet! I do have a couple pairs of cardinals PJs & Ochre) spawning and may try some of those. Time to order some instant algae from Reed.

Couple of shots of the brood stock system so far

Attachments

• 71E7CED1-71CF-4946-8D10-4ABBA4B33681.jpeg
    71E7CED1-71CF-4946-8D10-4ABBA4B33681.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 97
  • DBB2D3AF-CA4F-4697-89CF-7F04C5FD6844.jpeg
    DBB2D3AF-CA4F-4697-89CF-7F04C5FD6844.jpeg
    982.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 00869F01-E04C-431A-9C78-4D579BA6B8F6.jpeg
    00869F01-E04C-431A-9C78-4D579BA6B8F6.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 86
  • CE909B3A-19DF-4B8F-809B-4396607C86A5.jpeg
    CE909B3A-19DF-4B8F-809B-4396607C86A5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 91
  • D7B71EF7-FEAE-4F48-B681-A55E9453692A.jpeg
    D7B71EF7-FEAE-4F48-B681-A55E9453692A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 92
The above system is pretty basic setup, mostly using the equipment I had available. It is currently three drilled 20 high tanks, placed lengthwise in to the stand. The sump is 36" with a return chamber and using the Reef Octopus Skimmer. Keeping the filter socks for now, return pumps are Supreme Mag 5s, one for each supply loop. I am trying the MarinePure Biolfilter Media in the sump which I picked up at Shac's since these systems will not have a lot of LR. The total capacity of the systems will be about 120 Gallons when all tanks are complete, three 20's and 4 X 10's or 15's. depending on what I can get at Petco! The tanks them selves have some crushed coral and sand with some LR for cover. I am going to add some macro algae to the tanks to give some additional protection for the fish, not planning on keeping any corals in these tanks so the lighting is pretty much a T5 strip and a Razr LED that I had from previous nano tank. I've got a DA Reefkeeper on the system to monitor the basics and control the lights. Each tank has a small powerhead, I picked up a couple of Freesea pumps for circulation. I am maintaining the salinity at 25 PPT, a bit lower than my reek tanks. So far there is only one tank with any fish, a pair of small Darwin Clowns with a RBTA that had just split in the main display and a pair of six-line wrasses. I'm looking to add more pairs over the next month but taking it slow to start. If anyone is looking to rehome some bonded pairs let me know! Eventually the growout system will be setup with several 20 and 29G tanks plumbed separately. These tanks get fed pretty heavily once they get going so keeping them separate from my main display makes more sense. I'll keep you posted! BZ

Cool! Were you ever able to raise any Yashas? I was trying to find a captive bred one for several months, contacted some of the universities that were breeding them and found some forums with notes by private individuals, but it seemed like most of the breeding programs had fizzled out. Not sure if that was because of difficulty or lack of demand but I finally settled on a wild caught female. I only got her Friday and she's been hiding in the pistol shrimp tunnel ever since so hopefully she's ok in there!

I know some people don't like to buy online but bonded pairs are in the LiveAquaria Diver's Den pretty often! I almost got a pair but decided I'd stick to one and leave room for another fish in my little system. Hopefully she won't get lonely!

I don’t usually either but in this case I did snap up the pair on LA. Should have them on Wednesday!

Back