Ramping back up the breeding setup

Sorry it's going slower than you wanted but love getting an update! Hope your yasha is still alive, I've thought mine was a goner multiple times. Most recently I think her pistol shrimp friend died and it took like a month before she finally made an appearance.

It's been awhile since I posted an update here. Some positive news first, my Photon pair has finally started laying eggs again. I'm ramping back up the rotifers and I'll collect and raise one of the next few batches once the rotifers are going strong. I added a beautiful pair of Lightning Maroon Clowns that will hopefully not take too long to start laying eggs! Other pairs are doing fine but no spawning yet. I also have at least two pairs of Bangaii Cardinals that have spawned but so far neither have held the fry long enough. Unfortunately, I lost one of the Yasha Gobies and the other seems to be in hiding. I'll post some updated pics later this week.

I already have a pair of clowns and don’t really want more but yours are beautiful.

Did you ever see your yasha again or attempt to find a new partner for it? Recently some captive bred yasha gobys were added to live aquaria and this is the first time I've seen them anywhere since I started looking a couple years ago. I'm guessing they'd probably be a lot hardier and easier to breed than the wild ones! I've been thinking about getting a partner for mine but doubt I could convince LA to give me a male specifically. I also was curious if you know anything about their lifespan? I've had mine for a couple years so if it's a shorter lifespan it might not make any sense to get a partner for it now. It also has been developing black speckles, which seems somewhat normal, but I wonder if maybe it's a sign of older age or something else.

Did you ever see your yasha again or attempt to find a new partner for it? Recently some captive bred yasha gobys were added to live aquaria and this is the first time I've seen them anywhere since I started looking a couple years ago. I'm guessing they'd probably be a lot hardier and easier to breed than the wild ones! I've been thinking about getting a partner for mine but doubt I could convince LA to give me a male specifically. I also was curious if you know anything about their lifespan? I've had mine for a couple years so if it's a shorter lifespan it might not make any sense to get a partner for it now. It also has been developing black speckles, which seems somewhat normal, but I wonder if maybe it's a sign of older age or something else.
I did find the other Yasha. On the floor behind the tank. :(
I didn’t try to pair them up again but may try again with another pair. I’m reworking some things now and looking to setup a new system with a few different species later this year. Not sure on the aging thing but I’ve kept Yasha gobies for more than five years before so think it depends on the circumstances. They are my favorite goby!

Just here to support you and glad I found your threads! Sad I can't be breeding fish again currently and try my hand at it (maybe one day!) You do it for me :) The Lightning pair is incredibly beautiful, skunks are cute, blenny is (well you know how much I love those guys).

I'm sorry about your goby loss :( I know that feeling. Never had a yasha. They pair with the shrimp right? How does that work with breeding (just curious) if you have a pair with a shrimp....does he just....move out? Unwanted extra roommate? Creep and watch and still do light housekeeping?

I know it's a labor of love and many failures before success. How easy are breeding clowns comparitively?

Ha! Thanks! Not sure if three is a crowd when it comes to shrimp and goby pairs! :) You are welcome to come by anytime you feel the need to get your breeding jones fixed. The clowns have been much easier to raise than the gobies and blennies. Although the Lightening spawn have proved to be a bit more difficult. I have a new batch of eggs that were laid yesterday so will have another chance in a week or so. Glad you are back! BZ

Did you have any luck with that new batch of Lightnings Bob? I remember you saying they were about to hatch when I came by for those anemones. I hope all is going well!

Back