Saltwater Mixing Station Build

MadMaxReefer

Supporting
Reaction score
Hi everybody, I just wanted to shared my saltwater mixing station build progress with you. I just finished mocking up my piping and will hopefully get everything buttoned up in the next couple days.

2x Norwesco 50g vertical containers
1x Amazon dc return pump 3150gph
RO guardian
150gpd Bulk Reef Supply RO
Back up float valve
Controlled by Hydros WiFi power strip
I plan to use a python for the hose setup but would love some suggestions for something retractable.

I will post some updates once I finish putting it together.

Attachments

• IMG_2714.jpeg
    IMG_2714.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2717.jpeg
    IMG_2717.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2718.jpeg
    IMG_2718.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 42
Hi MMR!

I did something similar, just much bigger. Word of advice, build a support for the vertical pipe coming off the pump going to the top of the right mixing tank. I used pieces of scrap 2x4 and conduit pipe clamp holders. The hose connection will add tension to the pipe and fittings.

For the hose. I got all elaborate and it was more headache than it was worth. I ended up buying an RV NSF rated Camco hose on Amazon and cut the metal ends off. Just buy one longer than you need and you can cut it to make a couple hoses. I use one for salt and one for RO water.

I replaced the metal fittings with this cheap kit from Home Depot

Here's mine. I added a smaller pump ro move RO water too.
1000005009.jpg

Hi MMR!

I did something similar, just much bigger. Word of advice, build a support for the vertical pipe coming off the pump going to the top of the right mixing tank. I used pieces of scrap 2x4 and conduit pipe clamp holders. The hose connection will add tension to the pipe and fittings.

For the hose. I got all elaborate and it was more headache than it was worth. I ended up buying an RV NSF rated Camco hose on Amazon and cut the metal ends off. Just buy one longer than you need and you can cut it to make a couple hoses. I use one for salt and one for RO water.

I replaced the metal fittings with this cheap kit from Home Depot

Here's mine. I added a smaller pump ro move RO water too.
View attachment 83169
Yeah I have been trying to figure out my plan to secure the vertical run. I intended on doing all hard pipe but the slip adapters on the Amazon special dc pump didn’t fit very well. It was too loose for me to risk it. Solve one problem create another lol.

Yeah I have been trying to figure out my plan to secure the vertical run. I intended on doing all hard pipe but the slip adapters on the Amazon special dc pump didn’t fit very well. It was too loose for me to risk it. Solve one problem create another lol.
I have lines run all over so I improvised to secure everything.
1000005010.jpg

At some point I'll probably make a connection to.the foundation wall as well.

Extending a pipe down 2/3's of the way down the salt mixing tank with a 45° on the end will help keep the salt from settling on the bottom too. Good luck with the build!

I have been quite busy over the past week. The mixing station is almost complete. I just have to figure out the right way to put the RO guardian on it and it should be ready to make salt water finally today. I had a few small leaks around the cheapo pump that I had to just glue up to get sealed.

I have also been working on setting up@JAC ‘s 300 gallon between my dinning room and kitchen. I definitely want to thank him for all his help in making this dream come true! I basically just need a sump and I will be ready to rock n roll. I’m looking at the Bashsea 48” or 60” pro or signature series if anyone has experience with those or alternate recommendations. I’m also totally open to used if someone has something close enough what I’m looking for that they want to sell. Would also buy new local if anyone knows of a place that would have such a large sump in stock.

Anyways here are a few pictures of this weeks updates.

Attachments

• IMG_2739.jpeg
    IMG_2739.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2733.jpeg
    IMG_2733.jpeg
    312.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2737.jpeg
    IMG_2737.jpeg
    320.9 KB · Views: 45
I have an Acrylic Habitats Life Reef 40 sump that I think I'm changing direction on for that build. Brand new in box, if your interested let me know and I'll figure a price.

Hey guys sorry for the delay on the update. I was able to pick up a sump from @scottw such a great guy! Here is update on where I am with the project. My next task with be plumbing this beast, figuring out my light mounting solution, and finally getting ready to fill it and start working towards transferring my 125 gallon inhabitants.

Attachments

• IMG_2758.jpeg
    IMG_2758.jpeg
    246 KB · Views: 37
Hey guys sorry for the delay on the update. I was able to pick up a sump from @scottw such a great guy! Here is update on where I am with the project. My next task with be plumbing this beast, figuring out my light mounting solution, and finally getting ready to fill it and start working towards transferring my 125 gallon inhabitants.
Can’t wait to see this baby full of water. I am very excited for you to get this full. If you need any help you have my cell.

A few pics of the mixing station. I still have a little work to do on it but it’s up and running.

Attachments

• IMG_2761.jpeg
    IMG_2761.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2760.jpeg
    IMG_2760.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 33
It's all coming together and looking great. That mixing station is going to be super helpful. I never made it past the brute cans lol.

I love seeing your plan slowly unfolding, and I can't wait to see it scaped.

Update: I have some trim work to do, I need to finish the control mounts in the back, and still waiting on a few more parts to finish it out. Unfortunately my fish in my 125 FOWLR had an ich outbreak so it’s probably going to be empty for a while until they go through a long painful treatment process. However I guess this gives me plenty of time to be patient on getting the big tank up and going. A big thanks to @JAC for coming out and helping me plumb the tank and also helping me through my first time ever dealing with the ich. He was also able to help me sort many issues on my RS250 reef tank. Man this club is awesome!

Attachments

• IMG_2812.jpeg
    IMG_2812.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2811.jpeg
    IMG_2811.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 30
Back