Saltwater Mixing Station Fail

sergeantpup

Reaction score
Building a saltwater mixing station was supposed to be my PTO project this winter and while she looks sexy, it doesn't work....enough.

All the parts arrived a week ago. I put it together, cleaned everything, and leak tested this week. I made water over the last two days and I was more excited to do a water change this morning than any other time in my life.

I used a python to vacuum my sand and take out a formidable amount of water. Now, for the moment of truth, reverse the flow and fire up the refill via smartphone. I kid you not, the fresh saltwater got to the bottom of my tank and stopped. I was gutted. All the research, time, and money I sank into this to make water changes easier is short by 3-4 ft of head height.

Previously, I carefully researched pumps and used a water blaster 5000 by Reef Octopus. I swore 12 ft of head height would be enough to get me to the second floor of my house (which it did), I just couldn't pump it from the floor into the tank.

I rerouted the hose up the balcony to shorten the distance to see if it would help, it didn't. I removed the quick connect hose fittings (thinking they were diminishing the flow) and I received the same results.

So here I am, a tank 1/2 drained and no way to pump fresh saltwater. *sigh* buckets it is! I begrudgingly refilled the tank with 5 gallon jugs while using every profanity I could think of in my head.

Not only that, but I had to do it again because I had another tank that was in desperate need of a water change and everything was already out, so I hauled even more buckets.

Both the tanks are stable so now I need to figure out how to fix this.

The way I see it, I have a few options:

1. Swap the pump for a water blaster 10,000. This will give me another 3.5 ft of head pressure and the inlet/outlet size is the same (so no change to plumbing). Currently it's a 1.25" inlet and a 1" outlet and I'd like to stick with that at all costs if I can to prevent replumbing. If the pump gets any, I'll need to replumb from the pump forward to 1.25".

2. Raise the barrels. I was trying to avoid building a structure for this (they're already on wheels) but I'll do it if I absolutely have to. I could raise them 3 ft or so easily with cinder blocks (and removing the wheels).

3. A combination of water blaster 10,000 and raising the barrels.

4. Add another pump in-line on the second floor that would pump the water the rest of the way into the tank. Admittedly, I don't know how well this would work. Having to drag a hose AND pump is not ideal, but I'd do it if I had to.

This would only be a temporary solution. I plan to purchase another larger tank within the next 6 months that will be much closer to the water source and I'll be using a dosing pump for automated water changes.

I've come here looking for advice and opinions on how to best solve this problem. I'd be interested to know which solution you think is best or if there's a BETTER solution I haven't thought of.

20191222_135653.jpg

Gaining the extra 3.5' won't give you much flow out of the pipe, you won't have to carry buckets but also will be there a while. Using 2 pumps may work, but it's to my understanding that it won't work well. You will need a pump that has more than enough head pressure to do the job.

Everything else seems perfect I would just go with a bigger pump, the bigger the better, as Bobby says one barely big enough to get it there will keep you there forever

Search there sale ads here, I know someone had some mag pumps for sale or you might find something else.

The pump I use has 39' head pressure, I get around 1500gph to my upstairs tank.
I think I want to go with the panworld. If you're willing to sell, I'm willing to buy. If not, it's no big deal, I can just buy it online. I'm in N Druid hills so I'm not too far from you and I can get it anytime in the next two weeks.

Glad you got it all working!!!

In the future when planning pump purchase get something that has 1.5 times, preferably 2 times, the head pressure you think you're going to need. You can always restrict the flow at the other end but if nothing gets there you're sol.

Back