Saltwater Mixing Station

90galguy

Market
Reaction score
I found a YouTube video that had a set-up like the one I've drawn and attached. I'd like to get everyone's opinion on the set-up and if you see any improvements. I don't have a ton of room out in front of the containers as in the drawing, so I'd like to get it a little closer together but still leave enough room for the fittings. Would I need to make it out of PVC or could I go with some type of flex piping? Plumbing would all be 3/4". except for the 1/4" tubing running to the sump.

Also, what would you guys recommend as far as an exterior pump for this application? I have a 6'-7' rise to my sump from area where this mixing station will sit.

Thanks for the input!
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
696337=33059-Saltwater Mixing Station.jpg
>
696337=33059-Saltwater Mixing Station.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Saltwater Mixing Station.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

U can just put the ro barrel up top with a ball valve at the bottom. And use an mag to internally mix.

Not knowing how much room you have to work with.....you could do as I did....I put a 55 gallon drum on it's side and elevated it in a rack. My RODI unit fills this tank. Below it, I have a wheeled 45g Brute trash can that is my mixing container. Open a valve and it fills the Brute. Inside is a Hagen 802 pump for actual mixing. I can also put a hose on the 802 to fill containers. Now in your case, put a bulkhead in the bottom of the Brute, connect an external pump....say an Iwaki MD2 or something along those lines (there are many options here) and you've got yourself a fill pump.

I don't have room above for that type of setup. I only have room for this side by side configuration.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Actually yes. I have the bottom side of an above staircase to contend with.

90galguy;696376 wrote: Actually yes. I have the bottom side of an above staircase to contend with.

awwww...yeah, that explains it. This the config shown would be your best option.

I have been thinking about making a mixing station too. Is it very expensive to build?

so far I have about $30 for each Brute container and $30 in plumbing parts. I have to buy the pump and a few 1/4" tubing accessories and that should do it.

Purplegorilla gave me the idea to do the same kind of set up. Here is what mine looks like. I found a used Iwaki 40 for the external pump. The Tees going to the right and left are so I can just put a bucket under them to get salt water or RO/DI whenever I needed some. I also put unions everywhere so I could remove the Brutes for cleaning.

Reef%20Tank-120G_DSC04128w_RO-DI_System_080731.jpg
alt="" />

This might be a stupid question knowing that both th RO/DI and Saltwater mix will be going to the same place, but is there any reason to install backflow valves on the RO side so that the water doesn't get contaminated by the saltwater mix?

OK.................Just looking for some input here. I got the "OK" from my most trusted LFS so I think I'm good to go.

Does anyone else have any comments or suggestions? My only concern is with the connection above the vertical ball valve? It would be a 1/2" reducer that I plan to attach tubing up to my DT for water changes.

None of the connections are glued up yet so it might look a little twisted.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
697383=33119-RO-DI_Saltwater Mixing Station.jpg
>
697383=33119-RO-DI_Saltwater Mixing Station.jpg
class="gc-images" title="RO-DI_Saltwater Mixing Station.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I've been thinking of this too, thanks for posting the pics/diagram. Now i have to go shopping..

Hey 90galguy,

With that setup, do you have to do a freshwater flush after mixing? From what I can see from the plaumbing, once you have pumped the saltwater mix to your tank there will be some residual saltwater left in the plumbing. Just wondering as I may use this design thanks.

I believe there could be some residual saltwater but I don't think it would be the level of any type of concern. Can someone else chime in with your thoughts? I'll do a salinity test an the fresh water tonight and let you know.

They all look pretty good, but my concern is all the valves. I like the old K. I. S. S. rule. Keep it simple stupid. I like two pumps, one for RO and one for salt.

Depending on where it is(if its in a conditioned space or not) you may want to insulate the salt barrel.

I also recommend getting a maxijet mod or the like for a mixing pump since its low watts with high flow, rather then running a big pump to mix the salt with. And a heater of course.

I have mine with the RO above so it can gravity drain into the RO tank, and gravity feed to the ATO float valve(has a solenoid on a timer for safety). And the pump in the salt tank is also used to pump the water to the sump for easy water changes.

I have a small circulating pump in the salt mix once I have it going. I will be pumping up directly to my Sump for water changes as well. I'm also going to add an overhead gravity fed ATO as well.

Back