Spawning Report: Black Photon Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris x percula)

3 DPH. It looks like there was some losses overnight. Still have approx 15? Ammonia starts to spike so did a partial water change today. Have to keep an eye on that now. The remaining ones seem to be eating the rotifers.
the good news is that the Photon pair has laid again! The nest looks to about three times the size of the last spawn. So, should have more larvae to work with in about 8 days!

YAY! Thanks so much for tracking this again my blood pumping to see how this turns out. I'll have to get some tips from you when I start breeding.

Congrats Bobz! Much work is involved with your task at hand. I’m excited to see you are bringing “Breeder’s Corner” alive again. I traveled from middle Georgia to Athens 2 times to select some captive breed clowns and yellow gobies from a breeder some years ago. It was well worth the drive. Keep up the Great Work!

wannabee

Thanks! That was from John Lauth I’m sure. I learned a lot from him back then.

10 DPH. It looks like about 10 have made it this far. I switched them over to NHBS and they seem to be feeding. I expect them to go through meta soon and should start to see some stripes.
the second batch started hatching last night. The eggs are in the hatching tank and it look like about 20 or so hatched last night and the remainder should hatch tonight. Started them on rotifers tonight.

10 DPH. It looks like about 10 have made it this far. I switched them over to NHBS and they seem to be feeding. I expect them to go through meta soon and should start to see some stripes.
the second batch started hatching last night. The eggs are in the hatching tank and it look like about 20 or so hatched last night and the remainder should hatch tonight. Started them on rotifers tonight.
This is great ! Best of luck through the meta! Could I reserve 1 or two? And how much do you want for the babies?

Thanks! That was from John Lauth I’m sure. I learned a lot from him back then.
James Cook Athens, GA was the breeder. Great guy whom took the time to explain “Captive Breeding”. I enjoyed both of my visits to his place.

There was another breeder up in Athens. He use to sell to SunPets. I collected some Onyx eggs from him, years ago.
James Cook? He had a mated pair of clowns “Nearly Naked” that I had an opportunity to buy. I let the opportunity slip and Arc Sponsor “The Fish Store” purchased them. I later made a trip to “The Fish Store” and the had the pair setup in a tank in the far back of the store where you still could see them.

James Cook also had some clowns that he called ”Smokey O”. They were incredible; I bought 3 of them on one of my trips to Athens.

Wannabee

P.S. I could “kick myself” for not getting the pair “Nearly Naked”.

Many don’t understand the “hard work” your doing raising these clowns. “My hats off to you Sir!” My conversations with James Cook, breeder in Athens, GA some years ago opened my eyes to the delicate work and long days raising the clowns. No time for vacations and little time for self and family. My babies need to eat 24/7 and water table must be prestige. Thank you for providing information here for the younger generation that may want to try this. Great science project, especially for juniors and seniors. Maybe you”ll entice some to become Marine Biologist? Now that would be very cool!

Wannabee

YAY! Thanks so much for tracking this again my blood pumping to see how this turns out. I'll have to get some tips from you when I start breeding.
I can tell you with my own experience of visiting a breeder, James Cook some years back; you”ll never forget your visit to BobZ place. The visit will be a “game changer” and truly an “eye opening” learning environment for you. Nothing like going to pick out your clowns from a “captive breeder”.

One trip I made to Jame’s place in Athens, GA; I picked up 3 “Smokey O’s” I just told James I would be grateful if he selected the 3 “Smokey O’s”. Very beautiful species!

Wannabee

6 DPH. Started feeding the babies NHBS today. Looks like I am holding steady at about a dozen that have made it so far. They seem to be eating the shrimp so good sign.
You are aging those of us who raised Sea Monkeys lol. That was some pretty creative marketing when I think back. Glad to see you are having success!!

Back