Spawning Report: Black Photon Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris x percula)

bobz

Supporting
Reaction score
Starting a log/journal to track the spawning and raising of the Black Photon Clownfish. The Black Photon Clownfish is a cross between the Black and White Darwin Ocellaris and Onyx Percula Clownfish.

Age: Unknown, this pair has been in my breeding system since 6/27/2019, acquired as mature bonded pair.
Tank Parameters: housed in a 20Gallon High, sand substrate, Live rock, flower pot, fake anemone, fake plants, variable powerhead
Tank mates: pairs of Bangaii Cardinals and Six-lined Wrasse
Breeding System Parameters: Total water volume of system is 120 gallons, sump w/skimmer, power heads in tanks, auto top-off, heater
Lighting: Small LED over each tank, light cycle 12 hour on/off 8AM-8PM
Feeding regime: Twice daily, morning mix of flake and pellet. Evening; mix of frozen mysis shrimp, LRS Fertility Frenzy, Brine Shrimp

Pair first spawned middle of February, 2020. Male and female cleaned off area in flower pot and laid eggs in pot. Continual spawning
every two weeks or so. Last clutch of eggs was laid on 3/15/2020. Rotifer cultures are ready for attempting to raise some of this batch.

more to come ...

C3F6D360-CE8B-4FDA-B475-D8A2ED63C388.jpegEggs continue to develop nicely. Silver eye spots can be seen in the fuzzy picture. It’s hard to get a good pic because the nest site is pretty far back in the tank. I am guessing that the eggs may hatch out this weekend. I’ll set up the collection trap tomorrow night just in case I miss counted the days But I am thinking it may be Sunday night when they hatch.

FF132E59-CBE0-4AD3-ADCD-F82C01FD1C35.jpegThis is the Vossen Larval Trap I will use to collect the larvae when they hatch out. Hatching usually occurs a couple hours after dark. The trap is attached to the inside of the tank with magnets and atrachwd to an air pump that causes a flow of water through the trap. An LED light source is setup at the intake to the trap on the outside of the tank. All the pumps are turned off and the larvae are then attracted to the light source and deposited in to the collection chamber. after a few hours I’ll check the trap and remove any collected larvae to the rearing tank. You never get 100% of them using this method but usually get a fairly good percentage.

EB5C5FF8-F187-4BA5-8E44-67197544AC63.jpegDay 7. Possible hatch night. Eggs looking very silvery. Will set trap tonight. Larval tank is setup and ready to go if successful hatch. They will be transferred to the tank and some green water added. Rotifers will be added once the egg yolks are absorbed and larvae are ready to feed. 717DDF78-3684-48D1-A183-5ACDF896DAB5.jpeg

this is neat.
curious - why fake plants and not real?
also what do you do with all of the babies? do you grade them? sell them to lfs?

Fake plants are easier to care for! Same with the nems. Photons and Darwin’s like the fake nems but the other pairs haven’t taken to them. I’ll let you know when I get some grown out

I’m really interested to see out this turns out I’ve considered breeding clowns but couldn’t find enough info online to feel comfortable investing in it.

Oh sorry, I wasn't looking for black photons...I was just curious.
It looks like a lot of fun.

Back