Dream 525 gallon peninsula display with large fish room.

I’m super exited about this build Adam! Great choice of tank size and close loop system! MRC does superior job with everything they do.
We have similar size fishroom. For humidity control I use three dehumidifier in the fishroom, additionally 1/2 ton hvac unit for basement.
My humidity generally stay around 50% mark.

Can’t wait to see this tank up and running ! Very exciting !!!
My basement is roughly 2100sf and I put in a 2 ton unit. It's a variable speed air handler and I have an 8" lines going in & out of the fish room. The dehumidifier I got at Lowe's is a decent sized one and I paid for the 2yr extended warranty. Got a feeling it won't make it that far. I hope with everything I've done I've got that end of things covered.

I'm so ready for the floors to be done so I can start the real build process. All the cracks and nail divots in the concrete are filled and I'm good to go tomorrow night with the grinding.
This is the coating I went with and I used their crack filler too.

The first time I ever went to Adam's house he pulled out a set of plans and said something like "Here' the fish area, we've moved a wall, removed a wall and added some supports here and there." The fish rooms were literally custom to the house before the concrete was even poured. Adam's put in a ton of time and treasure into this project and it's going to be pretty awesome.

@Adam I forgot to ask, how thick is the acrylic? On acrylic tanks, do you have to go thicker than glass for the same size tank?

I'm already in stages of planning of my upgrade to my next tank, but it won't be nearly the size of this due to the space I have and trying to see my options. Lately, glass cages has been getting some good reviews on R2R, especially with their new smoke glass option.
I was wrong about the acrylic thickness, it's 3/4". I don't know why I had 1" on the brain. I now remember using Acrylite calculator and talking with Jeff in February.

Maybe a mod can correct my posts above.

I was wrong about the acrylic thickness, it's 3/4". I don't know why I had 1" on the brain. I now remember using Acrylite calculator and talking with Jeff in February.

Maybe a mod can correct my posts above.
All good. For some reason, I assumed acrylic was cheaper than glass. Wow, I was way off. Lol. Got a quote from SEA and it made me sweat looking at the numbers.

I got the floors done over the weekend. I sure hope this coating is as good as they say it is, that's something I never want to do again. The grinding made a big difference. It got up all the construction adhesive, drywall mud and leveled the epoxy I used to fill cracks. It was also my first time using this coating so it has some roller marks and things you would want in a show room floor but the purpose was to seal it and that has been accomplished.

Here's a shot after the grinding.
signal-2020-07-26-110709.jpg

And the finished product. You can see the roller marks and patterns in it but all in all I'm happy with the way it came out. Funny thing is the area where the tank is going came out the best but we'll never see it. Murphy's Law...
20200727_181225.jpg

20200727_182004.jpg

Now on to setting up the RODI system and mixing station.

Looks great Adam! Everything seems to be coming along well, I love these progress updates! Thanks!

Here are a few pics of the move itself. I've heard that many hands make light work and this was a perfect example of it. There were a lot of folks and it went off without a hitch. I didn't take many pictures but wanted to at least document the process.

IMG_20200802_141135 (2).jpg

IMG_20200802_141129.jpg

Not much to update yet. As you can see from the move thread the tank is roughly in place. The only thing I've done with it so far is tinker a little with the plumbing parts. I still need to move it around some to cut into the wall for the drain and return lines then paint the wall on the tank side. Got valves and some couplers on the way for the closed loop and those two pumps are ordered.

In the fish room, Justin came over Sunday and helped me run another electrical circuit and a couple PEX water lines to plumb up the slop sink. The RODI is installed on the wall and I'm starting on the sewer line connections and plumbing up the mixing station. The room looks like a bomb of pvc parts went off.
I also have a friend stopping by 40% Below Outlet today to see if they have anything for the counter and cabinets.

I may have a month till I'm going to have to put the breaks on the aquarium stuff. The builder is pouring the slabs for the house across the street today. I need to have the bathroom done before the tile guys finish up in that house because I'm grabbing them to do the shower. I'll post a couple of pics tonight.

Back