Dreams become Reality

Thanks, yes, the CA reactor is running great, and has adequately maintained Mg. Because of the growth of coral, I've had difficulty maintaining alkalinity. Therefore, this fall, I began dosing buffer/alkalinity with a peristaltic pump, and then included dosing kalkwasser with a peristaltic pump, and even now adding more buffer to the automated evaporation top off of RODI water. A wrestling match with both pH and alkalinity.

I thought to include the following in the construction of the system: (1) HVAC system duct into the aquarium LED light canopy, with the HVAC fan running a low speed permanantly, and (2) full time exhaust fan duct pulling air from the far side of the canopy all the way to the home's exterior wall (drier vent & metallic flex hose duct inside the ceiling sheetrock).

Wish I had thought to pipe in outside air into the aquarium cabinet to further remove C02 (and raise pH)? I have added ozone and CO2 removal pellets in twin canisters at the intake to the protein skimmer, and this has helped with pH.
I am confused, why is your calcium reactor not supplying your alk?

In the beginning, the calcium Rector was outstanding at providing calcium and alkalinity and magnesium. As livestock load increased in the aquarium from Coral growth, it was necessary to increase the weekly flow of the reactor. Ultimately, I had to add alkalinity in addition to weekly water changes. Reactor alone is now inadequate to maintain pH and alkalinity. I’ve had to add additional alkalinity. We still use the Calc reactor at full speed.

In the beginning, the calcium Rector was outstanding at providing calcium and alkalinity and magnesium. As livestock load increased in the aquarium from Coral growth, it was necessary to increase the weekly flow of the reactor. Ultimately, I had to add alkalinity in addition to weekly water changes. Reactor alone is now inadequate to maintain pH and alkalinity. I’ve had to add additional alkalinity. We still use the Calc reactor at full speed.
What calcium reactor do you have? Is it undersized?

Pump, twin chambers, APEX controller of pH, bubble counter, etc. One may see the dissolution of substrate this year in the 1st chamber. I do not know the brand, designed by Ming and sourced happily from George at Pure Reef. There is a laminated/sealed liner visible under all the equipment in the lower cabinet, to catch enough water to wet one of the water sensor alarms in the event of a water leak. Tank support is welded steel, covered in a cosmetic walnut veneer plywood. I was quite interested that many types of wood are available in easily sourced veneer over plywood. IMG_4054.jpegIMG_4054.jpeg

This is very strange to me considering from the looks of your tank, it doesn't seem to have that much coral to be consuming enough alk that your calc reactor can't keep up, unless I'm being confused by the size of your tank. What's the dimensions of your tank? I seem heavier stocked tank that seems to have no issue using what looks to be similar size calcium reactor. Who tuned your reactor and has it been tuned since your tank started to grow out? It might just need to be tuned again.

Good point, I'll check the tuning out again. APEX controls the pH in the reactor with a solenoid on the CO2 tank, and I set the water flow volume. The tank has a footprint of six by four feet.

Awesome! Our tanks are about the same age.

I havent setup my Calc reactor yet but do you dose or top off with kalk at all?

I have found CA/Alk/pH to be such a balance act. Really like the Calc Reactor. As the SPS and calc algae have increased growth and coverage, I've actually began dosing the A/B solution of CA/Alk in addition to using the reactor. This is evolving over time as I have a high bio load of both SPS & other coral and fish. Best wishes

IMG_0149.jpeg
The tangs, and fox face, actually eat broccoli. And constantly graze the rock work. They also enjoy a variety of frozen and pelleted and flake food.

Aquacultured purple tangs have pretty amazing growth, more than twice the size now of the aquaculture yellow tangs, purchased together last summer. The Zoa grow like kudzu....all fascinating.

Attachments

• IMG_1037.jpeg
    IMG_1037.jpeg
    343.5 KB · Views: 17
Back