New member here!!

becerril17

Supporting
Reaction score
Hi all! My family and I just became members and we are thrilled about it! We are fairly new to saltwater but we have 15+ years experience with freshwater. We have wanted to start a reef tank for years but always allowed the fear of failing talk us out of it. We decided to take the leap and have fallen more in love with it than I ever imagined. We have a 40g breeder, this is our 5 year aquarium. We will one day go bigger but with the space we have currently and no plan to move until our kids are at least out of elementary school this is what we’re working with!
We have our own RODI until set up in our laundry room which was the best thing we could have done! Our tank has 50lbs of sand and 45lbs of rock. We are currently using a canister filter, one day we will upgrade to a sump. We have two wave makers as well!
We have a pair of clownfish, one Yellow Tail Damsel and a Banggai Cardinal. For coral we started out with a very small frag of of Palythoa, then added slowly and now we have a small leather coral, a small frag of Zoanthid and a small frag of GSP. Everything is thriving and doing wonderful, we are so excited for what the future holds for our tank!

High Five Boom GIF by TipsyElves.com

Congrats! I would throw some live rock pieces (rubble is fine) in there to help with the bio diversity. The dry rock will absorb a lot of nutrients as it takes a while to reach saturation. It's important to not bottom out P04 and N03 because dinos thrive in it. However, dry rock can also leech phosphates at first while they are in the beginning stages of the tank. Go slow, test and feel free to ask questions along the way!
Happy reefing

Last edited:
Back