Dream 525 gallon peninsula display with large fish room.

Adam

Trustee
Staff member
Sponsor
Supporting
Reaction score
As many of you know I moved in the fall of 2019 and shut my 220 & 60 frag down. Special thanks to @spike for holding the livestock I wanted to keep. Glenn has been awesome holding everything and dealing with my delays getting the basement finished. He also got to see my Blue Throat Triggers spawn within days of putting them in his holding tank. It helps that he's only about a par 5 away as a crow flies, probably 3 or 4 miles by road.

So, in May of 19’ Nat and I found this hole in the ground that we really liked in the back of a subdivision and I immediately saw the outline of the system and fish room I wanted to put in and we decided to go ahead and make the move.
20190511_134053[1].jpg
20190707_130918.jpg

Gotta say, in the nine months we have been in Flowery Branch we absolutely love it up here.
20191004_173850.jpg

Once we finally moved in this is what I was looking at in the basement and I started taping off the area where I wanted the display. With everything that goes with moving, setting up the living area, hanging things where the wife wants and dealing with the garage & yard it took a little longer to get started in the basement than I had hoped. That and I got a little lazy in the late winter through mid-April with the Covid crap. Things have been slowly but steadily moving forward since then. It is still a mess down there but it is finally getting better.

20200129_165924.jpg

Now some info about the tank and fish room. The tank is 8’x4’x29” with 1” thick acrylic and fully braced at the top, made at MRC/SEA Atlanta. I figure the water height will be about 26”, that puts the volume at about 470 gallons before rock. With the rock, sump and a 60 frag connected the total volume should be somewhere around 600-625, maybe more if I run two sumps. It will have a closed loop to handle flow on the last quarter of the length and a pair of MP60’s on the overflow side to start. I have some WAV pumps if it needs more flow and may even try to incorporate a couple of gyres if needed.

signal-2020-06-02-131313.jpg
signal-2020-06-04-173311.jpg

The fish room is roughly 28’x16’ or just about 450sf. It will have a counter, cabinets, slop sink, a very large mixing station and multiple holding & QT tanks along with a 300 gallon frag system. I also put in an HRV (Heat Recovery Ventilator) that I hope along with the slightly over sized HVAC system will help with the humidity, but it will definitely keep any odors to a minimum and reduce co2 levels. I also have a dehumidifier that I'll have in there as well. The HRV will exhaust air from the fish room and from above the display and return outside air to the main entertainment room above the HVAC return vent. This keeps fresh air always heading in one direction. For the electric I have put in four five dedicated 20amp circuits and two multiple outlet 15amp circuits and have half that load run through a transfer switch for generator backup.

Here are the way things look now. I hope to have the floors sealed this weekend and be ready to move the tank in sometime next week. I know that will make Jeff happy. I just hope my back holds out!
signal-2020-07-22-094549.jpgsignal-2020-07-22-094535.jpg

Another special thanks goes out to @jcook54. I could not be where I am now without Justin’s help. I cannot begin to thank him enough for the multiple 40min, one way, drives to my house and helping me with everything from electrical work to hanging the drop ceiling. Even one time he came to help and instead of working in the basement we ended up sweating our tails off thinning a bunch of trees out from behind the house. This is him last Saturday working on the exhaust vent above where the display will be. It's on the other side of the wall directly between the two outlets in the pic above. And I forgot about the fifth dedicated 20amp circuit up there for there lighting.
signal-2020-07-17-160123.jpg

More to come after the floors are sealed and the mixing station goes in. Hopefully fist water will be sometime in September.

@Adam I forgot to ask, how thick is the acrylic? On acrylic tanks, do you have to go thicker than glass for the same size tank?

I'm already in stages of planning of my upgrade to my next tank, but it won't be nearly the size of this due to the space I have and trying to see my options. Lately, glass cages has been getting some good reviews on R2R, especially with their new smoke glass option.

Maybe those triggers should go with your old tank - you know, so they can stay in a familiar surrounding and such.
The male is a very active swimmer. I can't wait to see how he reacts in the big tank.
Oh man... I was chatting with Justin the other day and he was telling me about this set up. This is going to be amazing.

@Adam have you owned acrylic before? I've always been worried about owning acrylic and how it could scratch easily.
No, this will be a first. I was one of the guys that helped Rusty move his 1000 gallon tank in place several years ago. Between talking to him and a couple of guys with large acrylic tanks on R2R it eased any of my same fears. Many of them including Rusty have sand but I'm at least going to start bare bottom. If I can't stand the look I may add sand.

One of the things about such a wide tank is it will help with light placement and keeping direct light from hitting the side panels. This helps keep coraline to a minimum. There are pros and cons to both though. Starfire is a softer glass and scratches pretty easy and is much harder if not impossible to repair. Acrylic is much lighter, is clearer and minimal distortion viewed from an angle. It also has much better thermal properties. A Starfire tank this size would be double the cost and triple the weight.

@Adam I forgot to ask, how thick is the acrylic? On acrylic tanks, do you have to go thicker than glass for the same size tank?

I'm already in stages of planning of my upgrade to my next tank, but it won't be nearly the size of this due to the space I have and trying to see my options. Lately, glass cages has been getting some good reviews on R2R, especially with their new smoke glass option.
The acrylic is 1", if it was taller then it would have to be 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 depending how high it went. The outside hight is 29" but inside is 27" so filled and running the water hight should be somewhere between 25.5 & 26". The acrylic is a maybe a 1/4" thicker than glass but I'm betting some glass manufacturers would still go 1".

The acrylic is 1", if it was taller then it would have to be 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 depending how high it went. The outside hight is 29" but inside is 27" so filled and running the water hight should be somewhere between 25.5 & 26". The acrylic is a maybe a 1/4" thicker than glass but I'm betting some glass manufacturers would still go 1".

I might have to reach out to SEA to see how much a quote is, cause I've always liked how clear acrylic is but like you stated, you can fix acrylic and glass is impossible to repair. I seen plenty of videos on R2R as well regarding reefers repairing it while their tank is running with no issues.

The issue with thicker acrylic vs glass is I don't want to have to buy all new pumps.

Thanks for the insight, I'm going to check in with SEA.

Congrats on the new house. It looks awesome.!
Gotta love a ranch on a basement. Hugh basement foot print!
The big fish room is a dream for everyone. Cant wait to see it all setup. Really interested to see the mixing station setup.
You talked about humidity in the fish room. I'm setting up a fish room in my basement as well and was worried about the amount of humidity and how to remove it.
The room I am setting up is not tied into the HVAC in the basement as of yet so I was thinking about a squirrel cage fan and a dehumidifier. Wonder if that going to be enough or if I needed to get that room on the HVAC as well.

Congrats on the new house. It looks awesome.!
Gotta love a ranch on a basement. Hugh basement foot print!
The big fish room is a dream for everyone. Cant wait to see it all setup. Really interested to see the mixing station setup.
You talked about humidity in the fish room. I'm setting up a fish room in my basement as well and was worried about the amount of humidity and how to remove it.
The room I am setting up is not tied into the HVAC in the basement as of yet so I was thinking about a squirrel cage fan and a dehumidifier. Wonder if that going to be enough or if I needed to get that room on the HVAC as well.
If you're constantly exhausting air out of the house you're going to create a negative pressure in the space and it will suck in outside air from any gaps in the house. Door jams, windows, the attic... the higher the cfm the bigger the problem. If you just plan on putting the fan on the floor somewhere and letting it circulate air around that sounds like it will become a headache pretty quick. You'd be better off just putting a dehumidifier in the fish room. The best bet would be to add a couple flex duct runs to include that room and put the dehumidifier where ever you want down there. I have two systems, one for the upstairs and one in the basement that I had put in. The dehumidifier I bought has an auto pump and I ran the hose to the condensate pump for the HVAC system in the basement, so it gets pumped out of the house.

So far this house seems to be more airtight and better insulated than my last house. I actually have to turn the thermostat in the basement down to 74/75 to get the unit to cycle a few times an hour even in this heat. And I'm not even done insulating the rest of the exterior walls and putting up drywall! But the dehumidifier has made a huge difference already.

If you're constantly exhausting air out of the house you're going to create a negative pressure in the space and it will suck in outside air from any gaps in the house. Door jams, windows, the attic... the higher the cfm the bigger the problem. If you just plan on putting the fan on the floor somewhere and letting it circulate air around that sounds like it will become a headache pretty quick. You'd be better off just putting a dehumidifier in the fish room. The best bet would be to add a couple flex duct runs to include that room and put the dehumidifier where ever you want down there. I have two systems, one for the upstairs and one in the basement that I had put in. The dehumidifier I bought has an auto pump and I ran the hose to the condensate pump for the HVAC system in the basement, so it gets pumped out of the house.

So far this house seems to be more airtight and better insulated than my last house. I actually have to turn the thermostat in the basement down to 74/75 to get the unit to cycle a few times an hour even in this heat. And I'm not even done insulating the rest of the exterior walls and putting up drywall! But the dehumidifier has made a huge difference already.
Thx for the info Adam. I have 2 units as well and think it should be able to handle the extra room with no issues. Not having a system setup before now I have no idea how much humidity it will create but assuming a lot. I already have a good dehumidifier I can tie into the drain I'm putting in so should be fine there.
Are you putting a drop ceiling in the fish room? Wondering if that will pull moisture? The fish room I am building was a shop area and the only room in my basement thats not finished. Was thinking about pulling down the insulation in the celing to reduce insulation dust in the tanks.

Thx for the info Adam. I have 2 units as well and think it should be able to handle the extra room with no issues. Not having a system setup before now I have no idea how much humidity it will create but assuming a lot. I already have a good dehumidifier I can tie into the drain I'm putting in so should be fine there.
Are you putting a drop ceiling in the fish room? Wondering if that will pull moisture? The fish room I am building was a shop area and the only room in my basement thats not finished. Was thinking about pulling down the insulation in the celing to reduce insulation dust in the tanks.

The joists in the basement are all packed with insulation and I don't want dust and fiberglass particles falling down into the tanks. The joists also run in a different direction in that part of the house than they do in the back so the duct work has to run under them there and in the room adjacent where the air handler and water heaters are. I didn't want to go through all the work of running lumber down to lower the ceiling so it could be drywalled, so doing a drop ceiling seemed to be the best solution. The tiles I got are plastic, they will not hold moisture and will never sag. They can be easily pulled down for cleaning if they ever need it.

As far as the humidity goes. It all depends on how many tanks/sumps you have down there and totaling up the surface area, the more there is the more evaporation you will have. I'm going to have a crap ton of surface area to contend with, 100 to 130sf, so I'm doing my best to plan ahead. I'm also going to do my best to cover the sumps and see how much it helps.
@Dmitri how's the humidity in your basement?

The joists in the basement are all packed with insulation and I don't want dust and fiberglass particles falling down into the tanks. The joists also run in a different direction in that part of the house than they do in the back so the duct work has to run under them there and in the room adjacent where the air handler and water heaters are. I didn't want to go through all the work of running lumber down to lower the ceiling so it could be drywalled, so doing a drop ceiling seemed to be the best solution. The tiles I got are plastic, they will not hold moisture and will never sag. They can be easily pulled down for cleaning if they ever need it.

As far as the humidity goes. It all depends on how many tanks/sumps you have down there and totaling up the surface area, the more there is the more evaporation you will have. I'm going to have a crap ton of surface area to contend with, 100 to 130sf, so I'm doing my best to plan ahead. I'm also going to do my best to cover the sumps and see how much it helps.
@Dmitri how's the humidity in your basement?
I was trying to avoid the drop ceiling just because of the extra work and everything seems to run through that room so didnt want to cover it up. Interested to see how the plastic tiles perform and if they produce moisture on the top and possible mold.

I was trying to avoid the drop ceiling just because of the extra work and everything seems to run through that room so didnt want to cover it up. Interested to see how the plastic tiles perform and if they produce moisture on the top and possible mold.
Mold is a no no in my book. There are a couple of spots up there that can't be closed off. The spot where the HRV and duct work is and in the opposite corner where the water & sewer lines are. I do not believe the will be much, if any, temperature difference above and below the drop ceiling. Certainly not enough to cause condensation. My goal is to keep the RH at or below 60%. Right now it's in the mid 40's. I have the Ecobee thermostat is set to run the blower 30 min out of every hour whether or not it's calling for heat or cool. If I can't control the humidity as planned I'll get another dehumidifier.

I’m super exited about this build Adam! Great choice of tank size and close loop system! MRC does superior job with everything they do.
We have similar size fishroom. For humidity control I use three dehumidifier in the fishroom, additionally 1/2 ton hvac unit for basement.
My humidity generally stay around 50% mark.

Can’t wait to see this tank up and running ! Very exciting !!!

Back