Chapter 2: 50g Lowboy LPS

What did ASD say when you sent them pics and video?

Not very promising response.

For those following this debacle - what are your thoughts? I know where I stand but need a litmus test of someone not involved. Please share with me your thoughts on the situation. Here’s a brief factual summation (dates are a guesstimate)

Late April: ordered a torch online wysiyg (~$215 + $30 s&h)
Early/Mid May: asd called on shipping date and advised they dropped and killed the torch while packing. They offered a credit only.
Late May/Early June: after multiple emails - we agreed to wait for another replacement torch during which time I purchased an additional octo (~$40) & zoa (~$15)
Mid June: asd advised replacement torch was acclimated and ready to ship along with my other orders
Yesterday: received 1. Torch with the flesh peeling and with an obvious barnacle; 2. The wrong zoa; 3. A freebie with a huge aptasia. Notified them immediately with photos & video of torch still in unopened bag
Today: torch is very obviously going to die

sorry for the pain. I had a decent experience with them but prolly won’t be ordering corals from vendors anymore. Shipping turned me off of it

I’m glad you got what you paid for!!! They should be giving you more for all the hassles you gone thru if they want to make up. I thank you for letting it known publicly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need some astute and unbiased eyes. These were photos sent by ASD last week of the replacement torch.

IMG_3791.jpegIMG_3753.jpegIMG_3752.jpeg

And here is the torch they sent. Unfortunately the flesh band is broken to 2 spots like the first one they sent.

My question is do you guys think this is the same torch? Particularly I am looking at the stem base in the photos that appears to be overhanging off the plug as opposed to the one they sent which sits pretty well inside the plug. However at this point I’m fairly biased and don’t trust myself to be impartial

IMG_3790.jpg

I don't think they're the same, barring the edge issue. The one you got was visibly splitting/figure eight shaped, but the one in their pictures is totally round...

Those were my thoughts exactly but I wanted to see how others felt or what they saw with impartial eyes. Beyond that torch they sent me tapers down from the head to the base. The photos show a relatively straight head to base.

Kaleb (the ASD rep) is out of the office until Sunday. But I sent him videos. I’m not sure what to expect…this is the second torch they’ve sent with a broken and peeling flesh band.

My main issue now is that he sent a photo of a healthy torch and *may* have shipped out a different one. I’m hoping others chime in because I don’t want to be “that guy”

Last edited:
It irks me man…why would you tease me with photos of a healthy torch and then send a different one that’s falling apart in the shipping bag? That’s messed up.

They’ve agreed to send a final replacement with the caveat that I buy additional corals (no specified $$$ amount).
TBH I think they’ve tried everything they can. It sucks that these torches keep arriving damaged and under somewhat questionable circumstances but it’s a huge pita for me to deal with and I don’t like sounding like a whining little b.
Between buying all these damn shipping modules and unnecessary additional corals - it stinks but it will be a relief once this ends either way

To conclude this ASD fiasco - they sent the 3rd and final torch...and I bought a few things on their clearance site.
This torch came in the worst condition of all 3. You could see the skeleton along the top rim and there were tentacles/polyps littered in the shipping bag.
I didn't even put this one into the tank. Straight into the garbage.
So we're done with this - they've sent 3 torches (each progressive worse than the prior). I've paid s&h 3 times.

While I do think they've tried to make it right - I still don't have a torch and am out $215 + $30 + $30 + $30 = $305. But I understand that ASD is out 3 torches.

For those wondering - yes I have ordered torches/euphyllia from ASD in the past and they came in fine. In fact on the last shipment I ordered a hammer which came fine.

I dunno maybe these banana torches don't ship well or maybe they've never acclimated to life in a tank. Whatever the case - this concludes the ASD electric banana torch chapter.

Back