Scuba Lessons

mojo;36944 wrote: Moving this thread to the Diver's Den forum....

$650 sounds awfully high... I thought you could get certified for ~$250 these days...?

That is an all inclusive price. No buying masks, fins, belts, weights, etc. and paying for a certification dive trip. Other places only charge $XXX but then you have to pay all the other crap as well. The low price is just to get you in the door.

KRB;37050 wrote: That is an all inclusive price. No buying masks, fins, belts, weights, etc. and paying for a certification dive trip. Other places only charge $XXX but then you have to pay all the other crap as well. The low price is just to get you in the door.

So, KRB, you're saying that for $650 I can get lessons, all the gear I need, and a certification dive trip?

zman676;37052 wrote: So, KRB, you're saying that for $650 I can get lessons, all the gear I need, and a certification dive trip?

Basically, the gear is rental for the weekend. I think this is an advantage because you don't buy gear for something that you may not even enjoy. Scuba can be a bit scary if you are claustrophobic or not comfortable in the water. Also, when it comes time to buy gear, you will have a better understanding as the gear choices available. When I decided to purchase equipment, I spent more than I would have if I had bought gear for cert class, but I bought gear that I knew I wouldn't outgrow any time soon. Much like reef tank equipment, it sucks to get something as a quick fix only to find out you really need something better to really enjoy it.

Also, when you decide to buy fins, get split fins. They are far less exhausting on your legs and hips. I bought Tusa xpert zoom fins in the stiffer black compound. They are rigid enough to move me through current and still have the benefit of the split fin design. Try out as many items as possible before you buy. If possible, take another trip and rent gear to try some stuff out. Gear rental is pretty inexpensive and knowledge before you buy is priceless.

If anyone wants to go diving, hit me up.

Guys go to http://www.scubaatlanta.com">www.scubaatlanta.com</a> They are in Duluth. On Peachtree Industrial. Diane and Scott are the Best!! It's NAUI not PADI!!! Pay Another Dollar In.

Tell them Todd Washowich sent ya

The Class is $150. Books $50. Includes rental stuff and pool time.

You will have to buy your own Mask and Fins. (required to do that anywhere) and you WANT your own stuff.

When you take the class and pass the tests. You do a check out dive. If you do them with Diane. It's $225 for the check outs. If you want to do them somewhere else they will give you the paperwork to have whoever you want to give you the checkouts.

Nowhere better in the state as far as I am concerned.

Todd

KRB;37050 wrote: That is an all inclusive price. No buying masks, fins, belts, weights, etc. and paying for a certification dive trip. Other places only charge $XXX but then you have to pay all the other crap as well. The low price is just to get you in the door.

Why is mask and fin buying crap? I assume you are taking lessons to learn to dive right? You going to dive in rental crap all your life....

You want and need your own stuff. You know how many suits are peed in??? How about regulators that people throw up into? No way in hell would I ever rent dive gear. How about the last time the gear was serviced? I can go on and on.

Any reputable dive shop would make you buy the essentials to get you into the sport. It has to fit you perfectly.

My 2 cents........I bought the entire setup before I took the first class, but I knew I was going to be a diver...If you are testing the waters....Mask and fins are the basics. Regulator, BC and wetsuits , most dive shops have that included in the cost of the class.

So for Adventures in diving
$150 Class
$50 books
$225 check out dives
$75 Mask
$75 fins

$570 total (this is rough)

And you own the mask and fins....

Now why is the $650 deal better?

If you want....I will talk to Diane about setting up a group lesson for the club...not sure how many you will have....but I can ask

Well, I've been wanting to certify for a long time, though I don't know I'll have to money any time soon. However, I have a friend in Miami and some other locally who might be kind enough to certify me.

Assuming this happens, my boss (300+ dives) and I decided after our ski trip earlier this year that our next trip will be diving. We will either be going to Gray's Reef (I have family, friends, and housing available in Savannah, so it's convenient, sorta) or down to the Bahamas; we have friends on various islands throughout the region, so we might be able to finagle some hookups, esp. if it's more than just he and I and 2 of our friends.

washowi;37103 wrote: If you want....I will talk to Diane about setting up a group lesson for the club...not sure how many you will have....but I can ask

Todd if you could do that, that would be great :)

Yeah Todd, check it out. I am really close to them and will probably go by there and talk to them tommorow anyway.

At SaltwaterU, Seaventures is a vendor and they have great deals on classes. You can talk to the instructors and see what happens.

Skriz;37158 wrote: and what's wrong with padi?

Personal preference I guess. Investigate the 2. PADI certifies everything!!!!

I mean they have a National Geographic certification for pete's sake.

Basically at NAUI, you get certified for things that PADI would charge you for 3 certifications. More money for them.....PAY ANOTHER DOLLAR IN (PADI)

but nothing wrong with them..like I said, personal preference.

I need to call PADI. I got certified 5 years ago. I have dived many times but it has always been on my own equip with friends that are dive masters. I just remembered, I have not kept up with a log nor did I ever send PADI my stuff to get a PADI card! (Oops...) I wonder if this is going to be a problem if I find my paperwork and send it into them 5 years late!

Oh, buy your own regulator mouth piece, mask and fins (get the shoes + fins, much more comfortable!!!) Tony is right, germ city there. When you know that you love it... Splurge on a BCD and a Regulator. A shorty wetsuit is pretty cheap too...

Kirk, tell me when you want to get a cheap trip going and I am in!!!

washowi;37099 wrote:

So for Adventures in diving
$150 Class
$50 books
$225 check out dives
$75 Mask
$75 fins

$570 total (this is rough)

And you own the mask and fins....

Now why is the $650 deal better?

Don't forget
$20 snorkel
$20 Booties
$59-129 hotel room for the night
$25 weight belt (some dive shops require this)

I would put a good set of fins at over $100 easy as well

oh yeah and on their website it lists $59 for books

That total is pushing the $700 mark

Most shops take five weeks or so to get ready for your cert dives
then you take a weekend trip somewhere for cert dives

and you might not even want to be a diver after doing your cert.

$650 all inclusive done in 1 weekend with no risk of being stuck with gear you don't like, want, or need

http://www.godivingnow.com">www.godivingnow.com</a>

I knew I was going to be a diver, I am a water baby. My wife on the other hand I wasn't so sure about. She almost gave it up after cert. Thank god I convinced her to try it again in belize. She had an amazing time and is now a diver for life. We own all our gear including tanks now and I enjoyed having the opportunity to try different equipment in the beginning. I was able to make a more educated purchase when the time came.

Also, I agree with the throw up in the reg and pee in the wetsuit thing, but any shop worth doing business with cleans and inspects all their gear before or after each trip. Just do your research and go into each situation knowing what to look for and what to watch out for.

You will need a refresher course. 5 years is along time, and without a card. You can't dive or get air with anyone. You can't dive with your friends forever..How did you get air? They just bring you bottles?

KRB;37280 wrote: Don't forget $20 snorkel
$20 Booties
$59-129 hotel room for the night
$25 weight belt (some dive shops require this)

I would put a good set of fins at over $100 easy as well

and you might not even want to be a diver after doing your cert.

I knew I was going to be a diver, I am a water baby. My wife on the other hand I wasn't so sure about. She almost gave it up after cert. Thank god I convinced her to try it again in belize. She had an amazing time and is now a diver for life. We own all our gear including tanks now and I enjoyed having the opportunity to try different equipment in the beginning. I was able to make a more educated purchase when the time came.

Also, I agree with the throw up in the reg and pee in the wetsuit thing, but any shop worth doing business with cleans and inspects all their gear before and after each trip. Just do your research and go into each situation knowing what to look for and what to watch out for.

I did forget the booties and snorkel..

If you want to get cerified you have to pay the costs....

However, I did my check out dives in Lake Lanier. No hotel room or costs. Weight belt? My BC is integrated. No weight belt needed. It still puts you at the same costs as the $650 deal...except now you own your stuff.

It's not a cheap hobby, When you decide you want to do it. The full gear will run you $2000 on up. But once you have it, It's yours for life.

Average two tank dive trip will cost ya $85 to $250 a dive. But, once again,

Adventures in Diving will let you dive in the pool for free when they do the skills. If you are iffy, call Daine and tell her. She is wonderful!..

She has to make a living but never forces anyone to buy stuff they do not need or will let you try stuff out.

If you are going to be a diver. You need your own stuff. This is a life and death hobby. You want to know your stuff will work when you are deep on the reef.

DO NOT SKIMP on equipment. BUY the best stuff you can afford.

what happens when you get your full foot pocket fins to start with because you think you will like them more than open heels. Come to find out after training full foot pockets blow and now you have to spend another $150 for the bad *** apollo split fins you really want now that you have some kind of idea about it. Or you get a weight belt because you cant afford a $400 dollar BC at the moment. You decide to buy your own BC, it is weight integrated and you wasted money on a weight belt. Or you get what you think is a good mask, it fits your face and all, but get in the water and the field of vision is crap and it is something you didn't think about while purchasing because you were too worried about fit and being able to squeeze your nose like the salesperson said. More money wasted.

Don't get me wrong. I am sure Diane and everyone else are fine people and are not out to rob you blind. I just think having to purchase gear to try something is foolish. Why not try it without buying potentially the wrong gear. Then, when you know if you like it and what gear works best for you, go spend your money with a good dive shop. Educate yourself first just like in reef keeping. Why buy a maxi-jet just to get started when you really want a closed loop.

I agree with buy the best you can and wait a bit if necessary. There is a big difference between alright and great when it comes to gear. If you are going to dive regularly, you will want the pimp sh*t

a> only does certifications, they do not sell gear. They will happily help you make the right decisions about gear purchases without any alterior motive.

I not going to argue the point.

I really don't care. seems like you have done your diving with them so you are loyal to them. Great.

A proper dive shop will determine your needs and swap out your new equipment at no charge. unless what you want cost more. You would have spent it anyway.

If you want to dive with your guys fine. Dive all day long. Have fun...but they are not cheaper than any dive shop certification. The $650 is the same cost as a dive shop. Except you don't own anything. They certify at the same place as 99% of the shops in ATL, Pelham Alabama.

I am sure they are a great place and fun people.

Back