Greetings

keviningeorgia

Supporting
Reaction score
New to aquariums and fell in love with saltwater looking stuff at the LFS so I jumped in. Have a 29 gallon, protein skimmer which does very well so far and a canister filter. I let it cycle with live sand for 4 weeks prior to getting fish and cuc, everything seems to be doing well and I'm waiting to get into coral for a few more months but I may have made a mistake getting a BTA too early. Oh I'm running an AI Hydra 16 for light also. I'll give the BTA a few weeks before I get concerned unless I see bleaching. I'm starting to spot feed it once a day to supplement his adjustment to the new tank. It's about 4 months old total. I know 6 months is recommended so I messed up but I keep water levels near 0 and ph at 7.8-8 and top off with RODI freshwater. I do minimum weekly water changes of 10-20%. I have 2 clownfish, firefish (dart fish) a flame back angelfish, cleaner shrimp, bunch of snails of various type that seem to do well keeping it free from diatoms and algae. And some kind of Wrasse I forgot which one. Very new here so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Looking to upgrade in the near future to larger tank but I want to ensure I can keep what I have Alive Will answer and questions also. Thanks!

Welcome to ARC, and good luck in your new hobby. You may be right about being too early with the BTA, in my experience they have a really rough time until the aquarium establishes some maturity. I suspect daily feeding will be an unnecessary irritatant. I rarely feed mine. One to three times a week should be plenty. They tend to close up when unhappy more than bleaching. As long as it stays open with tentacles fully extended, everything is probably good.

Thanks! Ok I'll cut back on feeding. It closes up after my lights go out and stretches out and fills the bubbles during the day. It's only been in there about a week so I suspect it's still getting adjusted. Appreciate the advice.

Welcome! This was a fun post to read because I'm new to ARC too, though not new to the hobby. My current tank is also a 29! 10 gallon sump, aquamaxx 1.5 HOB skimmer, 3 AI Hydra 26's for my lights. Livestock is a Hawaiian white spotted puffer, yellow coris wrasse, single clown, and a plethora of coral.

Its cool that there's a couple of us running the same tank, hopefully we can compare pictures at some point (after I manage to tackle my algae problem and I'm brave enough to post a picture lol)

I’ll wager there are a few more 29 gal displays in this group!

Welcome to the ARC.
We are glad that you are here, so feel free to ask questions, post pictures and participate in forum discussions. We are all here to learn and celebrate this amazing hobby!

Back