MattGee87's RSM 250 Journey

mattgee87

Market
Reaction score
So where do I start,...Well I've been reefing for about 5 years now off and on. I started out with a Used Biocube 29, that soon led to a Red Sea MAX 130D. I sold that tank and upgraded to a 75RR tank with ATI 8 bulb dimmable T5's. Well here I am again starting another new tank with a used RSM 250. The main reason I am swapping is the Wife doesn't want a 75 gallon reef ( 48x18x18 ) in our living room. Our house just isn't big enough. The 75 gallon tank currently resides in the dinning room, which is great except I don't get to see the tank as often as i'd like. So being the great couple we are, we came up with a compromise. I could get a 36" tank that would fit on one of our walls in the living room BUT I had to give up the 75 gallon tank in the kitchen.

I originally was saving for a new RSM 250 but I found a deal on my local Craigslist that I couldn't believe. I found a RSM with chiller,2 mp40's, and a tunze 9001 all for $800. I jumped on the deal and brought home my new baby. Once I got it all home and cleaned up I did find 3 or 4 semi bad scratches. I contacted RSM and I will have to spend close to $500 on getting a new tank, Needless to say I was devastated. Well I ended up ordering a scratch removal product that is suppose to work, so we will see how it goes. It should be here by the 17th of this month. In the mean time I leak tested and cleaned all the pumps and skimmer. The one think I have notice is this tank is a lot louder then expected. I think some of the noise from the pumps are coming from the "leaning" on the glass and there other culprit is the fans in the lights which I do plan on replacing ASAP.

This build thread will be a slow one but, I plan on doing everything right on this tank ( such as QTing fish, dipping coral, etc..)

good luck on the scratches. i had some deep deep gouges on a used tank i purchased from craigslist and ended up using hard grit sand paper, on up to 2000 wetsand and then finished with a cerium oxide powder and a power drill.

it came out great, but one thing to note is that there was some "lensing" that occured because i was too aggressive with the gouge and didnt "spread" the depth out over a greater surface area. it was noticeable to me but others never saw it unless i pointed it out. and the gouge was removed.

good luck!

Russ-IV;1038272 wrote: good luck on the scratches. i had some deep deep gouges on a used tank i purchased from craigslist and ended up using hard grit sand paper, on up to 2000 wetsand and then finished with a cerium oxide powder and a power drill.

it came out great, but one thing to note is that there was some "lensing" that occured because i was too aggressive with the gouge and didnt "spread" the depth out over a greater surface area. it was noticeable to me but others never saw it unless i pointed it out. and the gouge was removed.

good luck!

I'm just glad that someone here has had some success removing scratches. I've got some cerium oxide on the way along with a pad to use in a drill. Only one of the scratches can be felt with your fingernail.

mattgee87;1038274 wrote: I'm just glad that someone here has had some success removing scratches. I've got some cerium oxide on the way along with a pad to use in a drill. Only one of the scratches can be felt with your fingernail.

more than likely you wont have the lensing effect i had then.

the one you felt with your fingernail you will need to wetsand first though. that cerium oxide just gets out hazing. not scratches.

Well I sanded for 2 hours and reduced one of the scratches by i'd say 75% to 80%

Here are the pictures of 2 of the worst scratches that i'll try to remove.

20150615_225653_zps68v0tdbh.jpg
alt="" /></a>

20150615_225710_zpsqbgxuomh.jpg
alt="" /></a>

surprised you sanded for that long. then again, i was pretty aggressive. the buffing the haze out with cerium oxide will be the most laborous part of it. i remember buffing and buffing and buffing for at least a couple hours. i used quite a bit of pressure doing it too.

those scratches look like a cakewalk compared to the gouge i removed.

Look into cerium oxide as well. Stuff is supposed to be great at polishing out scratches in glass.

RedStang;1038455 wrote: Look into cerium oxide as well. Stuff is supposed to be great at polishing out scratches in glass.

That is actually what I am using, seems to be working really well so far, just takes awhile lol.

well done!

that cerium oxide is a ton of elbow work to get it perfect. you didnt have to go deep enough for the lensing effect im guessing

Russ-IV;1038732 wrote: well done!

that cerium oxide is a ton of elbow work to get it perfect. you didnt have to go deep enough for the lensing effect im guessing

Your not lying , my arms are killing me this morning. All in all it was about 3 hours of buffing.

Now time to do the other 3-4 scratches.... :sick:

Glad to know it works! I had read it takes a time and effort but that it works great.

Looks awesome Matt. Great job.

Thanks, I do need some. Matt is just a lot closer. I may order some online if Matt doesn't want to sell.

JBDreefs;1038766 wrote: Could I buy your left over cerium oxide?

I more then likely won't have any left . I only bought 8ozs thinking it wouldn't take much. I think that one scratch took about 3 ozs so I may have to buy more.

JBDreefs;1038770 wrote: Thanks, I do need some. Matt is just a lot closer. I may order some online if Matt doesn't want to sell.

IF I have any left though, I will happily give it to you

Well its official I have water in the tank. After sanding on the glass for about 2 weeks I was able removed all of the visible scratches. It was a time consuming job but I'm happy with the results.

I plan on the cycle lasting 3-4 weeks so I won't be updating this thread until that is complete. I would like to get ya'lls opinion on the rockscaping

20150714_073255_zpszxh7myzw.jpg
alt="" /></a>

20150714_073321_zps9keerajq.jpg
alt="" /></a>
Loving the skimmer so far!

Back