Let the journey begin, Red Sea 200XL

fish

Supporting
Reaction score
My 75G IM build was put on pause as its too large for our current house, so I purchased a Red Sea 200 XL to hold me over. Shout out to Pure Reef!

I'm the least creative and patient person so I opted to go with CaribSea's life rock tree, though I think I may add/subtract a few pieces for a more tailored appearance.

Currently its crudely setup while it cycles, but I'll dial it in during the coming weeks. First I plan on building a manifold to feed the carbon and GFO reactors and figure out a clean way to mount all the equipment in such a tight space.

Equipment:
Tank: Red Sea 200 XL G2+ with sump
Filtration: Red Sea Reef Mat 250, Aquamaxx carbon and GFO reactors
Sand: CaribSea Special Grade live sand
Heater: 2x 200w with Ink Bird Controller
Flow: AI Nero 3
Return pump: Sicce SDC 6.0
Skimmer: Red Sea 300 DC
ATO: Red Sea ATO+
Controller: Apex A3

Livestock:
Will swap over the current fish from my Biocube
Mocha Storm clownfish pair
Court Jester Goby
Pink Streaked Wrasse
Midas Blenny
Cleaner Shrimp

Future Equipment: Recommendations are welcomed
Maybe add a UV
1 or 2 more Nero 3's
ATO reservoir
Dosing setup

Attachments

• 20231228_120012.jpg
    20231228_120012.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 20231228_120032.jpg
    20231228_120032.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 20231228_120019.jpg
    20231228_120019.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Congrats on the new journey~~. I’ve also went with Caribsea purple rock because they look much more natural and also isn’t bulky. I’ve used Marco rock in all my past tanks and one with Larva rock that failed due to mainly alk precipitation.

Why are you not using your live rocks from the bio cubes? Guessing the shapes of rocks for aqua scape isn’t what you like? I would still use them initially to get kick start on your cycle unless you are avoiding it due to other issues? Like pest and algae’s?

Looking forward to the build~

I simply wanted to start over fresh.

Received a large order from BRS to modify the plumbing and plumb in a couple reactors via a manifold.

Pics to follow.

Looking forward to it. I have 3 nero3 in 18”x18”. I bought two hygger gyre’s to try before buying expensive ones in case. I hope to replace direct flow with more broad flow.

Manifold has been built. I'm praying this thing doesn't leak. Need to find time to securely mount it inside the stand.

I only ruined one pair of shorts and a dining room table. Apparently PVC primer/cement is pretty nasty stuff.

Attachments

• 20240113_083044.jpg
    20240113_083044.jpg
    418.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 20240113_083054.jpg
    20240113_083054.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 56
Looking forward to it. I have 3 nero3 in 18”x18”. I bought two hygger gyre’s to try before buying expensive ones in case. I hope to replace direct flow with more broad flow.
I'm wondering if I should go with 2 Nero 5's on the back wall with the single Nero 3 on one of the sides for crossflow.

Just looked up the dimension of red sea 200xl and it is really nice.

You probably fine lots of options when it comes to using Nero 5’s or 3’s but I suggest nero 5’s for your tank size. I have feeling Ramping the 5’s at lower speed will also prolong the pumps. 1 Nero 5 gives 3000gph compare to 2000gph. Start with two and if you want to add the 3rd, once you have corals added~

I have all 3 pumps on random modes (random, constant, pulsing) at different time to give most random flow. Been working pretty good. But I’m giving a gyre a try. You might consider gyre and Nero combo’s.

IMG_6465.png

I finally found time to get the reactor installed. No leaks! It's a very tight fit but I'll be able to easily run GFO and carbon with a spare connection for any future equipment, maybe a UV?

At the same time I swapped in my Sicce SDC 6 return pump and got it linked to my Apex for some extra control.

First fish have been ordered. A pair of ORA Mocha Storm clowns which should arrive sometime this week. They were ordered over a week ago, but they delayed shipping due to the cold weather. Honestly, quite responsible of them.

Attachments

• 20240121_141245.jpg
    20240121_141245.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
What was the cost to make that manifold? I would love to implement that in my new build

What was the cost to make that manifold? I would love to implement that in my new build

I hate to add it up, but the manifold alone was probably $200. You can definitely shop around and find the valves for a lot cheaper than what BRS sells them for.

I hate to add it up, but the manifold alone was probably $200. You can definitely shop around and find the valves for a lot cheaper than what BRS sells them for.
200 is very reasonable. It’s looks very professional. I’d totally would pay that and a fee from you to get it made

200 is very reasonable. It’s looks very professional. I’d totally would pay that and a fee from you to get it made

It came out better than expected.

Next I need to figure out what light to buy. I'm slightly leaning towards the Neptune Sky.

My lid finally came in. Looks and fits amazing. I also picked up a Radion XR15 G5 blue to try out. It may be too blue for my liking but I don't think the Mobius app is saving the AB+ template correctly.

Attachments

• Resized_Resized_20240206_131148.jpg
    Resized_Resized_20240206_131148.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Resized_Resized_20240206_131158.jpg
    Resized_Resized_20240206_131158.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 18
The blues, hence the name, is blue. The standard AB+ will give you a deep blue with a green hue. I would just lower the blue channels and turn up the percentage to get the spectrum you like. Club has a par meter to rent to assist.

The blues, hence the name, is blue. The standard AB+ will give you a deep blue with a green hue. I would just lower the blue channels and turn up the percentage to get the spectrum you like. Club has a par meter to rent to assist.

I was going to make a separate thread on the issue, but when I select the AB+ template all colors move to 100%. I dont think that's what the template is suppose to be configured at.

If you are using xr 15 or 30 g5 blue with AB+

You should have top 4 should at 100% and bottom 4 at 24% as preset!

I’m currently increasing white only and eventually like to get it to 100% as well.

Picture for reference

IMG_6862.png

I was going to make a separate thread on the issue, but when I select the AB+ template all colors move to 100%. I dont think that's what the template is suppose to be configured at.
AB+ is actually correct at 100% all channels

If you are using xr 15 or 30 g5 blue with AB+

You should have top 4 should at 100% and bottom 4 at 24% as preset!

I’m currently increasing white only and eventually like to get it to 100% as well.

Picture for reference

View attachment 85303

That's what I've seen online. Mine selects all colors to be at 100% for some reason. I may be doing something wrong though.

Back