Vics CD 180G Peninsula

civics14

Market
Reaction score
Updated 5/17/2023

Time for an upgrade and change in direction....

A few things that drove me to a new tank...
  1. Aiptasia!! This stuff is the worst! Going with all new rocks
  2. Overflow box always annoyed me taking up real estate
  3. I wanted something wider than 24" for aquascape
  4. Needed more movement in the tank - plan to add more LPS
  5. More tangs!!! Blonde Naso will be added, possibly the purple was well (tang police going to give me a ticket for this one)
Just placed my order with Crystal Dynamics. I chose CD due to its reputation on R2R and a lot of things that are added cost are standard there in their build.

Tank Specs:
  • CDA 60"x30"x24" (LxWxH) w/ Custom Stand built locally
  • Eurobraced & armored seams
Equipment List:
  • Controller: Reef Angel - only controlling temp now
  • Temperature control: 2x 200W Titanium heater controlled by Reef Angel
  • Sump: Ice Cap 36XL
  • Return Flow: Skimz L90, backup: sicce 9.0
  • Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 200 & Avast Skimmate Locker
  • Circulation Flow: 6x MP40wQd
  • Lights: 7x Radion G5 XR15s - updated 1/23
  • Calcium Reactor:Vertex Rx-c 6D + Kamoer FX-STP (pull method) + Custom 2 stage regulator
    • ARM & Reborn mix for media
  • Nitrate Reactor: Vertex Rx-U 2.5L filled with Seachem Matrix fed by Sicce 1.0 running low flow
  • Vodka Dosing: Ecotech Versa - 1ml /day
  • Kalkwasser: Avast K1 Kalk Stirrer & Ecotech Versa - 500 ml / night
  • Bio Media: 4x MarinePure Blocks
Current Stock List (updated 6/28)
  • Achilles Tang
  • Purple Tang
  • Sailfin Tang
  • Yellow Eye Kole Tang
  • Blonde Naso Tang
  • Blue Throat Trigger
  • Dispar Anthias
  • Scribbled Anthias x2
  • Chromis x3
  • Longfin Fairy Wrasse
  • Cleaner Wrasse
  • Royal Gramma
  • Fire Shrimp
  • Sapphire Damsels x2
  • 6 line wrasse
Observation/Frag Tank:
  • Tank: Red Sea Reefer 250
  • Light: 3x Euroquatics A1P mounted on AI HMS rail kit
  • Return: Current eFlux
  • Flow: 3x Nero 5
  • Skimmer: Vertex Omega 150
  • Calcium Reactor: Skimz Monzter CM93 DUO Internal & Custom Dual Stage Regulator
  • Temp Control: Inkbird + 100W Neotherm & 150W Neotherm
  • Live Stock:
    • Scopas Tang
    • Mulitcolor Angel
    • Lightning Maroon Clown
    • Clarkii Clown
    • Lawnmower blenny

Last edited:
Time for an upgrade and change in direction....

A few things that drove me to a new tank...
  1. Aiptasia!! This stuff is the worst! Going with all new rocks
  2. Overflow box always annoyed me taking up real estate
  3. I wanted something wider than 24" for aquascape
  4. Needed more movement in the tank - plan to add more LPS
  5. More tangs!!! Blonde Naso will be added, possibly the purple was well (tang police going to give me a ticket for this one)
Just placed my order with Crystal Dynamics. I chose CD due to its reputation on R2R and a lot of things that are added cost are standard there in their build.

Tank Specs:
  • 60"x30"x24" (LxWxH) - more real estate!!
  • Eurobraced design - added structural security and peace of mind
  • Peninsula layout again - even though it is going to be backed up against the wall, I need to be able to access plumbing so it will be easier this way
  • 1/2" glass thickness - I can transfer over my mp40s with no issue
  • Bottom perimeter brace - added structural security and peace of mind
  • Reinforced vertical seams - added structural security and peace of mind
  • Overlapping double top brace - added structural security and peace of mind
  • Drilled for Shadow overflow - Finally, external overflow, one of the things I always wanted in a tank since I started saltwater
  • (2) 3/4" return holes drilled in corners of short panel - standard
  • Black silicone - cause it just looks nice
Equipment List:
  • Controller: Reef Angel - Carried over from previous tank. Works as needed, nothing fancy.
  • Temperature control: 2x 200W Titanium heater controlled by Reef Angel
  • Sump: Ice Cap 36XL - Can't really beat the price with the current 20% off promo. Once I get it, I am thinking of converting the ATO section to a fuge for pods since I have a mandarin.
  • Return Flow: Skimz L90 - Picked this bad boy up when BRS had the 80% off deal. This thing is a beast and is super quiet built on the askoll motor block.
  • Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 200 - Skimmer is a beast built on the askoll motor block.
  • Circulation Flow: 3x MP40wQd - carried over from previous tank, due to extra width, I will most likely add a 4th, we'll see.
  • Lights: 6x EuroQuatics A1P and the addition of T5s (just not sure which) - LEDs carried over from previous tank and something about T5s make a tank just look so much nicer with filling in shadows.
  • Calcium Reactor: Vertext Rx-c 6D + Kamoer FX-STP + CarbonDoser Regulator- Solid performer carried over from my previous tank. Most likely will upgrade to a two stage regulator and sell off the Carbon Doser.
  • Nitrate Reactor: Vertex Rx-U 2.5L filled with Seachem Matrix fed by Sicce 1.0 running low flow - carried over from previous tank, works like a charm to keep nitrates low
  • GFO/Carbon Reactor: BRS Single Canister fed by Sicce 1.0 - I don't tumble my GFO, always seem to get dusting, but 1/3 cup of BRS HC GFO & 2/3 cup Marineland Black Diamond mixed changed out every two weeks works for me
  • Vodka Dosing: BRS 1.1ml controlled by the Reef Angel - works great in conjunction with Nitrate Reactor and Marine Pure Blocks
  • Additonal: 4x MarinePure Blocks - I never had issues with aluminum that people stated, maybe because I run GFO and Carbon all the time? ICP test confirmed this after 2 years of use.
The stand will be built by me and ordering some shaker style cabinet doors to match the rest of the house.

I'll start posting pics when I get started on the stand build. Just need to plan it through first.
Hey if you need help planning the stand...I can help out by drawing it up in Solidworks for you.

Simple 2x4 frame skinned with finished plywood and custom made shaker style cabinet doors to match the rest of the home, painted white.
I can show you how to make the entire stand out of plywood if you're interested. It'll open up more room inside and be strong enough to hold Bill's Buick.

Sounds like a good build. Cant wait to see it. I am looking into a new build myself and was looking at CD tanks. Would like to know your thoughts on the finished product

I was in Southern Aquatics today and I'm pretty sure the 380 gallon they are setting up is a Crystal Dynamics tank. I look forward to your build.

Yes. It isn't setup yet, but the tank and stand are in place. Call to be sure it's a CD tank if you want to take a look. I'm pretty positive it was, because I hadn't heard of it before. I'm going to be moving and I when I do I'll be looking to get into the 150-180 gallon range, so definitely following here.

Sump came in and I was a bit paranoid because dimensions for return pump from CoralVue site didn’t match SaltwaterAquarium. It barely fits and only cause I have to put it in at an angle.

Attachments

• AB7F0C24-F4EC-4CD5-BBAB-372B4957E65A.jpeg
    AB7F0C24-F4EC-4CD5-BBAB-372B4957E65A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 129
  • 89B1FDEE-6384-42AD-9E3D-E1E5E5654BFA.jpeg
    89B1FDEE-6384-42AD-9E3D-E1E5E5654BFA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 129
Well, with the size of the return chamber your salinity should be rock solid stable, but the ATO is gonna be working overtime cycling.
It is a good looking sump.

Are you going to do the drilling for the overflow?

Well, with the size of the return chamber your salinity should be rock solid stable, but the ATO is gonna be working overtime cycling.
It is a good looking sump.

Are you going to do the drilling for the overflow?
CD is doing the drilling for me. One of their standard options.

i’m thinking of converting the ATO section to a fuge tho

CD is doing the drilling for me. One of their standard options.

i’m thinking of converting the ATO section to a fuge tho
The 180 will evaporate 1.5 to 3 gallons a day. If you've got the room for a bigger ATO tank, making a fuge out of the compartment in the sump is a great idea.

Back