220g Fish List

k3nnyp

Supporting
Reaction score
I've always kept my mixed reef aquariums lightly stocked but moving from my 120 to a 220 I'm hoping I didn't go overboard.

What are your thoughts?
Too much?
Just right?
Add a handful of blue green chromis? ( nixed from my original list )
Why only two tangs?

- From previous 120g
2 clown fish
flame angel
yellowtail damsel

- Added to 220g
3 Anthias
midas blenny
diamond goby
powder blue tang
blonde naso tang
2 cleaner shrimp
2 peppermint shrimp

What I'm doing to help with the bio load

* Upgraded skimmer to Skimz Octa SC205i
* Automating water changes
* Purigen in sump ( 2 bags )
* Regularly change Seachem Seagel in reactor
* UV Sterilizer on it's way
* MarinePure Block ( seeded in previous tank )

You are good. Might want to add seed to the cycle to be safe. I've had more than that in my 220.

Thanks 1Percula. We're looking good right now but good advice.

My daughter has named each of the fish and wanted me to add them here.

- From previous 120g
2 clown fish - Marlin and Nemo
flame angel - Stripes
yellowtail damsel - Yellow Tail

- Added to 220g
3 Anthias - Ricky, Nicky, ****y ( The male )
midas blenny - Blue Eyes
diamond goby - Dots
powder blue tang - Yellow Fin
blonde naso tang - Mohawka
2 cleaner shrimp - Pippy, Zippy
3 peppermint shrimp - Work In Progress

Hey Kenny,

I have 12 fish, 4 shrimp, 3 stars & 3 urchins. My NO3 has been 2-6 and PO4 .02-.08, PO4 has mostly been .02-.04. My sump is a 120, probably has 75-80 gallons in it. Total water volume is right around 260. I'm thinking about adding a 3rd tang down the line and maybe a wrasse. I also have a large diy ATS ready to go if my nutrients start rising.

I added to my bioload slowly and I think if you do the same you should have a little room left. Other than the tangs the majority of your fish are smaller. Just see how everything balances out over the next 4-6 weeks and go from there.

I did go through a delayed ugly phase at the 5 month mark and it is just cleaned up in the last couple weeks. Adding Vibrant and getting my Alk & Cal balanced out I believe were the keys to getting the GHA under control and now virtually gone. I'm also at the point that I only have to clean the glass once a week or so.

Good to hear. Are these the correct acronym definitions?

ATS = Algae Turf Scrubber
GHA = Green Hair Algae

I had thought of the ATS myself and have the screen already. My grow lamp is closer to the water now than in my 120 and I'm running it for longer. The Chaeto is growing much more rapidly than before. I'm hoping the UV knocks down some of the algae as well once it gets here and I plumb it in. I went with the Emperor Aquatics 65w and plan on feeding it based on the recommendations in the UV sticky.

Yes, those are correct.

I haven't been running my UV for a while as I've been dosing Vibrant, which in turn killed the chaeto I had. But the tank looks the best it has so far. I started dosing it twice a week and am down to once a week now. Tomorrow is my last weekly dose before I go to every other week. If that goes well I'm going to continue to wean off it and go to more traditional methods. I am real happy with it though. In just less than 2 months it has cleared everything up. I do want to start keeping some chaeto again though, more for pods than anything else, so I'll have to stop using the product to be able do that.

I had 26 fish in a 210. And one thing I can tell you is just make sure you've got plenty of rock to accommodate. The minimalist approach won't work with a stock of fish.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Are you referring to managing bio load or territory. I have a good amount of nooks and crannies for fish to sleep but Im not for sure how many more fish before they would become a problem.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

k3nnyP;1112153 wrote: Are you referring to managing bio load or territory. I have a good amount of nooks and crannies for fish to sleep but Im not for sure how many more fish before they would become a problem.

I was referring to territory

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

The 2 tangs might fight. Same body type and there are only 2. I'd add a third. Seems counter-intuitive but it mixes up the aggression factor.

Jenn

Thanks Jenn. I'll keep that in mind. So far so good. They have been pretty peaceful so far. Only concern is my clowns deem to be a little stressed over the extra tank mates.

Back