Vics CD 180G Peninsula

Well, well, well....look who has been secretly hoarding gonis...
I have found that my gonis like the rockwork better than the frag rack...which is interesting because I don't know what the difference is. They just seem happier and more extended in the rocks.
all those gonis (except the red) was grown on the sandbed on a large frag plug. I was worried at first if they would bother each other, but they were all butting up against each other with no issues. So, I'm excited to create a Goni Island whenever I get my tank.

Well, well, well....look who has been secretly hoarding gonis...
I have found that my gonis like the rockwork better than the frag rack...which is interesting because I don't know what the difference is. They just seem happier and more extended in the rocks.
The red Goni I have didn't do well on a rock in my display. Where I had put it was just getting too much flow, light was probably a little strong too. When I moved it to the frag tank it's extension and growth exploded.

That frag tank is a standard 4'x2'x13". I put two powerheads opposite the drain end that blew over the racks set on pulse. Another one centered on the drain side that blew under the racks. That one was always on at 100%. The Goni was placed at that end only an inch or two off the glass and the light wasn't directly over it. Try that type of placement in your frag tank and see how they do.

The red Goni I have didn't do well on a rock in my display. Where I had put it was just getting too much flow, light was probably a little strong too. When I moved it to the frag tank it's extension and growth exploded.

That frag tank is a standard 4'x2'x13". I put two powerheads opposite the drain end that blew over the racks set on pulse. Another one centered on the drain side that blew under the ranks. That one was always on at 100%. The Goni was placed at that end only an inch or two off the glass and the light wasn't directly over it. Try that type of placement in your frag tank and see how they do.

I agree with too much light and it not being happy. I had to lower mine all the way to the sandbed in a 24" tank under indirect light (off center). However, it didn't mind the strong indirect, random flow in my tank. It waved around like crazy.

Out of all these Gonis, only the yellow one is wild, the rest are aquacultured and they grow pretty fast.

CDA reached out and stated that sine the tank has been delayed numerous times, they are going to cover half of the curbside delivery. So, that's nice.

Also, since I have free time waiting on my tank, I decided to paint the bolts on light fixture with some black touch paint I had lying around for my car. Turned out nice. I plan to go get some PVC pipes this weekend and paint them black as well. Hopefully I'll this tank sooner than later.

Attachments

• IMG-1723.jpg
    IMG-1723.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 70
What kind of lights are those?
Euroquatics A1P- company went bust and had a clearance event. I think they were retailing in their debut at $680 /each back in 2015, but since company went bust with no warranty or support, they were selling them off for $125 /each. They work great and color blending of the lights and the power is amazing, especially for the price. So for 6 of these and the mounting rail, it was about $1K all in. It can grow some serious SPS. When I had 4 on my 120, I ran it max at 60% blues and 20% all others and it did very well. With 6 on a 5' tank, I'm going to run them closer around 30% until I get some Par Readings.

I seen a few people sell them off on R2R cause the fact that there is no support and their website is now down, but if you get some and need the firmware update, let me know. I have it saved with the instructions on how to push it.

Edit: Here is a review on them from RB: https://reefbuilders.com/2015/07/07/euroquatics-a1-a1p-angel-leds-fully-ready-light-reef-tanks/

Not reef related, but I was able to get a hold of this that was delivered yesterday .

Christmas gift for the kids. Done!
Congrats! That's like wrangling a unicorn. So hard to find and I can't stand the people buying them up to sell for triple the cost. I hope nobody buys them and they have to sit in them and sell for reduced price later on. Not likely but a man can dream.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Congrats! That's like wrangling a unicorn. So hard to find and I can't stand the people buying them up to sell for triple the cost. I hope nobody buys them and they have to sit in them and sell for reduced price later on. Not likely but a man can dream.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I agree. A few of my friends want one but can’t get it anywhere. Its ridiculous.

I needed to extend a few of my MP40 cables, but I read that Ecotech charges $50+ and it requires you shipping in your dry side. No thanks. However, I recall someone on R2R & RC having a DIY on cable extensions as a plug and play.

So, after digging up some old R2R & RC threads, I found it and the parts list. I needed only 3 extensions, but I ended up buying enough parts to make 10x 1M cable extenders for the MP40wQD. Each coming out to be $7.96 each in material, tax, & shipping.

After I make them, I'll post some up for sale if anyone is interested @$15 each, else I'll post on R2R @$20. Of course, I'll test each one out to confirm they work first.

Here is the part list from Digi Key if you want to make your own (Part # is the underlined), or if you don't want to buy in bulk to make the shipping worth it, you can just buy 1 or 2 or 3... from me.
1606825521334.png

I love diy'ing stuff like this. Satisfies my need to tinker and saves me money. With my new setup I'm going to need a couple more break out boxes. I'm going to make a couple that are powered three wire so I can use optical sensors. I may go the same route and make some extras if people are interested.

I love diy'ing stuff like this. Satisfies my need to tinker and saves me money. With my new setup I'm going to need a couple more break out boxes. I'm going to make a couple that are powered three wire so I can use optical sensors. I may go the same route and make some extras if people are interested.
That is awesome! Yeah, tinkering is a bad habit for me. I bought enough tubing for the BRS 1.1 to last me 3 lifetimes thinking others may some to save a few bucks. But, it doesn't look like many people use the BRS 1.1 doser anymore as there are much cheaper alternatives that doesn't require some sort of timer. So, I'm stuck with like 40' of tubing. LOL.

Next DIY I need to do is extend the power supply on my lights. I need to figure a way to organize this mess of power supplies. I wish there could be 1 power supply for like 4 mp40s without paying $300+ like the hydros engine.

That will be a nice clean movable way to extend. I'm cheaper than that and have experience soldering so I'd probably just splice the wire in the middle, only cost would be wire and heat shrink, both of which I already have.

I had picked up 2x MP40s, 2x Radion XR30 G4 Pros w/diffusers, Ecotech Battery Backup, Reeflink, & AquaticLife 48" Fixture from Thi (@tqpolo) for a great deal. Thanks!

I sold of the AquaticLife 48" fixture since I have no plans for it, thanks @Mart1990 & enjoy!

I tried using Reeflink, the second time but I hate it!! It's unresponsive and a pain. 1 of each of the Radion & the MP40 had the old green RF chip, so I ordered the mobius chip for each of them since I prefer the Mobius platform. So, the reeflink will go up for sale as well after I get my Ecotech order.

I have never been a huge fan of Radions, mainly due to price point. As soon as I get the other RF chip, I plan to test it over my RS250 to see how it is and if it's worth keeping or stay with my hydras & OR3 bar. Else, they will go up for sale as well. This is another bad habit, not leaving things alone, and just messing with things.

That will be a nice clean movable way to extend. I'm cheaper than that and have experience soldering so I'd probably just splice the wire in the middle, only cost would be wire and heat shrink, both of which I already have.
I thought about going this route as well, since I am fairly handy in this aspect as well and I am trying to get better at soldering, but considering now I'm up to 6 MP40s and if I ever want to sell them off, I'm not sure how fond a potential buyer will be of a spliced wire. Also, I figure this way, I could make a few extras and offer them up some reefers as well as a quick addon.

However, I do plan to splice the power wire of my lights. Since I'm for sure keeping those!

How does the extender work? I assume you take the controller apart or is the MP40 wQD different from my MP10 wQD? If it's the same, then I could use 2.

How does the extender work? I assume you take the controller apart or is the MP40 wQD different from my MP10 wQD? If it's the same, then I could use 2.
you just open the controller, unplug the cable, and it plugs into one end of the new cable and the other end plugs into the controller. As far as MP10 and MP40 cables, my understanding is they are the same. MP60s won't work.

"Ecotech charges $50+ and it requires you shipping in your dry side"
This kind of stuff really p#$@es me off, $50+? That kind of price gouging makes me want to avoid a company, even if they do have a good product. Shows such little regard for their customers.

Back