Journey of DiefsReef 120 Peninsula

I love pocket screws great for cabinets and such makes it nice and neat. Holding pots pans and dishes is one thing but setting a ton or more on it me personally I would be leery of pocket screws. Probably just me. The reason I over built my stand is I didnt want to chance a headache in the floor.

I love pocket screws great for cabinets and such makes it nice and neat. Holding pots pans and dishes is one thing but setting a ton or more on it me personally I would be leery of pocket screws. Probably just me. The reason I over built my stand is I didnt want to chance a headache in the floor.
I glued every joint and made sure the pocket screw was not holding wight. Thats exactly the reason I built it the way I did. You can see it better in this pic..
20200426_073117.jpg

Nicely done. You don't have to over-build if you know what you are doing. I generally don't like the wooden stands I see for that reason. Most everybody uses the same old design but yours looks good.

VERY nice job on the stand!

Screws are there to hold the joint tightly together while the glue sets, not to be a structural component. With wood anyway... And I sell screws for a living ;)

Nicely done. You don't have to over-build if you know what you are doing. I generally don't like the wooden stands I see for that reason. Most everybody uses the same old design but yours looks good.
Thanks! I spent some time trying to decide on how to build the stand reviewing soo many different ideas on-line. I was getting stressed trying to decide which to use and finally gave up and said, I can do this and started building. Had a few mistakes along the way but thats woodworking for my anyway :)

VERY nice job on the stand!

Screws are there to hold the joint tightly together while the glue sets, not to be a structural component. With wood anyway... And I sell screws for a living ;)
Stainless pocket screws are not cheap for sure!

Stainless pocket screws are not cheap for sure!
Just an FYI. Stainless Pocket and Deck screws are 300 series and not hardened. With hardened carbon steel screws the wood will give out before the fastener, with stainless the part won't break but will bend and deform before the wood gives. Even more important not to have them in any load areas.

Just an FYI. Stainless Pocket and Deck screws are 300 series and not hardened. With hardened carbon steel screws the wood will give out before the fastener, with stainless the part won't break but will bend and deform before the wood gives. Even more important not to have them in any load areas.
Wow thx, I did not know that. Even more glad I watched where the screws were going and used lots of glue!
Oh and FYI, I did use biscuit joints to attach the side panels to the front and back because i needed to make sure they where not going to give..

Give me a bottle of Tightbond III and some clamps and I'll build a stand with no screws (but jointing and planing involved). Properly using wood glue is better than carving a stand out of a solid piece of wood. Like you alluded to, screws are only needed to hold the wood tight while the glue dries.

Spent the past 2 nights working on getting in the beam below the dt tank.
Just have to rock it in now and redo the drop ceiling and all done.
Didn't really have to put it in but great for piece of mind. Really stiffened up the floor above it!

20200724_080406.jpg 20200724_080511.jpg

Moving on to getting the fish room setup. ALOT of work left in there.

What do you think of this Aquascape for my MaxE 170??
I like all the little spots to hide but I can still find them :p

20201215_142936.jpg20201215_142949.jpg20201215_143009.jpg

20201215_143020.jpg20201215_143033.jpg

Attachments

• 20201215_143020.jpg
    20201215_143020.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 9
I'm looking for feedback on the rock scape. What do you think? Looks good, looks like kaakaa?? I think its hard to really see all the little hiddy holes and run throughs it will provide and of course it will be ugly until the coraline and corals take off. 17x21x23 is not a real big area to work with.

I'm looking for feedback on the rock scape. What do you think? Looks good, looks like kaakaa?? I think its hard to really see all the little hiddy holes and run throughs it will provide and of course it will be ugly until the coraline and corals take off. 17x21x23 is not a real big area to work with.
Looks good to me. Make sure that you cure that pukani well. I didn't cure mine long enough and I'm fighting a bacteria bloom and some algae.

Looks good to me. Make sure that you cure that pukani well. I didn't cure mine long enough and I'm fighting a bacteria bloom and some algae.
Thanks!
I had all the old rock in a citric acid bath then rinsed several times and lastly it sat in fresh water for oh 3 months.

How tall is the rockscape compared to the tank height? I've built my rockscape too tall to where the top of it isn't really usable for most corals. Make sure you give yourself some room if you're going reef tank with it.

Thanks!
I had all the old rock in a citric acid bath then rinsed several times and lastly it sat in fresh water for oh 3 months.
Dang, I wondered how you got it so clean!

I like the cave structure, but like @trizzino mentioned, how tall is it? I didn't realize it either in my current aquascape plan, then my friend questioned the same thing and I'm glad he did because I was about to cement it all together.

What do you think of this Aquascape for my MaxE 170??
I like all the little spots to hide but I can still find them :p

View attachment 34983View attachment 34984View attachment 34985

View attachment 34987View attachment 34988
Looks great! Are you going sand or bare? I have always used sand and notice that the scape always looks different after sand is added. The sand covers the bottom few inches of the rockwork and really changes how everything looks. Anyways, love the design, can't wait to see it in water!

Sorry guys I checked out for a while. Been super busy at work and at home and haven't logged in for a bit.
I've been working hard down stairs trying to get this thing ready for water. Pic s to follow:D:D
Below is the latest pic of rock in the cube. I knew I was going to be kinda high and wont be able to put corals all the way at the top but wanted the high rock for looks. will see how it looks after some grow out.

@trizzino @civics14
How tall is the rockscape compared to the tank height? I've built my rockscape too tall to where the top of it isn't really usable for most corals. Make sure you give yourself some room if you're going reef tank with it.
I knew I was going to be kinda high and wont be able to put corals all the way at the top but wanted the high rock for looks. will see how it looks after some grow out.

@mphammer
Looks great! Are you going sand or bare? I have always used sand and notice that the scape always looks different after sand is added. The sand covers the bottom few inches of the rockwork and really changes how everything looks. Anyways, love the design, can't wait to see it in water!
I'm going to add sand. I did take that into account when I created it figuring I would lose at least a half inch.

20210118_115015.jpg20210118_115154.jpg

Been working in the basement a lot!! things are starting to come together.

I see I haven't really updated the build thread much :rolleyes: so latest info below...

Painted floor and started to build some stands.
Put green board on the walls so over spray would not be an issue.
Floated and painted and trimmed said wall:p (I really hate that part!!) Yes thats 2 part epoxy on the walls as well, I had lots left over!

Ready to complete the stands and get them faced and then move some sumps in.

20210104_103021.jpg20210111_110040.jpg

20210120_153648.jpg

Back