Journey of DiefsReef 120 Peninsula

DiefsReef

Supporting
Reaction score
Hello everyone! This will be a look into the start of what I hope will be a long and enjoyable journey in the hobby of Reef Keeping.
My wife and I talked about an aquarium for many years and very seriously a few years ago but things happen and the wait continued.
Finally near the end of 2019 I pulled the plug and started collecting hardware.

I have a build thread on R2R as well if you go on that site https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diefs-120-peninsula.725470/
Its a little long winded so I will try and make this thread more readable and much shorter.

When I got the go ahead from the Boss, I bought a used 90gal 48x18x24 with stand and also found a great deal on a Red Sea MaxE 170 cube.
She (the Boss) then decided she wanted a peninsula tank (grr) so I starting all over again.
The end of February I ordered a Marineland 120 and started to build my own stand.
After many mishaps building the cabinet (I am not a full time cabinet builder :)) and many changes to the setup plan, the stand for both tanks are complete and the tanks are in place where I hope they stay for a long time.
I will be using the original 90gal for the 120 sump in my basement. All the plumbing for both tanks will go through the floor into the basement where I am setting up a fish room.

I'll add a few pics of the cabinet build first in case some are interested in that process. It took a lot longer to complete then I would have thought.
I'm going to move down in the basement now and get the fish room running.
I have to add support under the big tank which I hope to get installed this weekend.
I have to then get water mixing so I can cure rock while I work on plumbing, sumps and qt tanks.

Equipment list so far:
Peninsula 120 gal 48x24x24
2x VorTech MP40 pumps
2x Red Sea ReefLED 90 lights
Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO
400 watt Aquatop Titanium Heater
90 gal 48x18x24 in basement sump
Vertex Omega 150 Protein Skimmer
x2) External Blueline 55 HD Water Pump - 1100 gph (Panworld 150)
Wasserstein WiFi Water Leak Sensor, Smart Flood Detector

RS Max E 170 Cube 40gal breeder sump
1 VorTech MP10
1 Red Sea ReefLED 90

20200417_184309.jpg20200429_084611.jpg 20200521_122952.jpg

20200527_193809.jpg20200602_122452.jpg

20200621_095425.jpg20200621_095306.jpg

Last pic is the rework of the shop in the basement. Don't judge, I just started :D
20200625_120018.jpg

Attachments

• 20200701_154213.jpg
    20200701_154213.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200701_154252.jpg
    20200701_154252.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 19
How did you order a pre-drilled tank from Marineland? How did that process go with hole placement?
I ordered the tank with no holes and George from Pure Reef drilled it for me. Hole placement was made with template that came with the Eclipse L Overflow Box.

I'm thinking LPS/Softies to start. I'm not really sure, its all new but my wife likes everything that moves around so will see.
Oh and I asked if Marineland would drill and they said no. No custom setup so I ordered the tank with no hole. Took some time to get because of Covid but that gave me time to start on the stand.

Last edited:
I'm thinking LPS/Softies to start. I'm not really sure, its all new but my wife likes everything that moves around so will see.
Oh and I asked if Marineland would drill and they said no. No custom setup so I ordered the tank with no hole. Took some time to get because of Covid but that gave me time to start on the stand.

Oh ok. I hear marineland would put their overflow on the end though, not that it matters since you already got one. I like the external overflow, much more real estate. I have a peninsula myself, you'll love it.

There are some pretty bad ass LPS tanks out there. If I were to do it all over again, I would to predominantly LPS and just a few sticks up top. I like the movement of LPS.

Oh ok. I hear marineland would put their overflow on the end though, not that it matters since you already got one. I like the external overflow, much more real estate. I have a peninsula myself, you'll love it.

There are some pretty bad ass LPS tanks out there. If I were to do it all over again, I would to predominantly LPS and just a few sticks up top. I like the movement of LPS.
The grass always seems greener on the other side...but I agree - you'd probably live a longer, healthier life caring for an LPS tank.
And there's enough high dollar LPS out there to make even the toughest SPS guys pee their pants.

The grass always seems greener on the other side...but I agree - you'd probably live a longer, healthier life caring for an LPS tank.
And there's enough high dollar LPS out there to make even the toughest SPS guys pee their pants.
I have to get my feet wet first and see where it all goes.

Love your build. I’ve been an amateur wood worker since the mid 80’s and your detail work is very clean and good enough to get the job done. Not over-built like most wooden stands I see. Good luck!

Love your build. I’ve been an amateur wood worker since the mid 80’s and your detail work is very clean and good enough to get the job done. Not over-built like most wooden stands I see. Good luck!
Thank you! I've been playing with wood for some time myself and recently found the wonderful world of Pocket Screws. Love it!

Back