Cook's 180 gallon

Unfortunately, this mystery has been resolved. The CP dosage dropped below therapeutic levels and failed to eradicate brooklynella. I did a water change halfway through the treatment and added 60mg per gallon I also replaced +5mg per gallon to the whole tank to account for degradation, but that was not enough. My observation time was just letting brook regroup. It was hard to see on the fish, with just the slime coat being the main visual sign. I'm down to one phantom clown as of this morning. I tried a Hydrogen peroxide bath this morning to save both phantoms and only one is hanging on at this point. I hate to lose fish, but I came very close to releasing all these fish into uninfected tanks.

Update: Total wipeout

Last edited:
GHA or not I'm a bit jealous. Continually fighting the urge to do a 180g or 210g to replace my 90g. It'll be nice once it settles out.

Really long time since an update. This is the tank today. Still fighting GHA as usual, but it’s currently not too much of a problem. I have done only sporadic water changes and man does a calcium reactor make you lazy. I’ll be checking Alkalinity for the first time in two months today.View attachment 80499IMG_1916.jpegIMG_1918.jpegIMG_1920.jpegIMG_1919.jpeg

My tanks have been decidedly unpresidential lately and my alkalinity from back in September was 6. I made some adjustments, refilled my calcium reactor, and called it a day. The truth is that I have been lazy with my tanks for some months now as I have been focused on other things which happens at some point to all of us. This picture is from January right after I scraped all the coralline algae off the front glass:
January_2024_180.jpg

My alkalinity is now extremely low (5ish), which I verified yesterday at my lfs as I have not been willing to believe my measurements could be correct. I'm sure this means that all my parameters are out of balance, so let's find out.
Parameters so far:
Alkalinity: 4.8
Calcium: 420
Magnesium: 1290

I have prepared some Soda Ash to begin dosing to bring the alkalinity up slowly. Also prepping to do more substantial water changes as those have fallen off as well. Interestingly also, my clowns are laying eggs again.

Last edited:
My tanks have been decidedly unpresidential lately and my alkalinity from back in September was 6. I made some adjustments, refilled my calcium reactor, and called it a day. The truth is that I have been lazy with my tanks for some months now as I have been focused on other things which happens at some point to all of us. This picture is from January right after I scraped all the coralline algae off the front glass:
View attachment 86058

My alkalinity is now extremely low (5ish), which I verified yesterday at my lfs as I have not been willing to believe my measurements could be correct. I'm sure this means that all my parameters are out of balance, so let's find out.
Beautiful system!!

I add ca & alkalinity & mg & trace elements with both dosing pumps and the complex maintenance & repair of a calcium reactor.

View attachment 86058

I went through the same phase when life got really busy and really let the tank go. Issue I found is when I did that, I had less motivation to keep the tank up. Once I cleaned it all up and got things back on the right track, I enjoy it a lot more and now back to regular maintenance.

Back