Bills Crystal Dynamic Aquarium 225 gal tank upgrade

Mine are just growing in place where the original lived with no issues. Occasionally, one will detach and I will relocate. But there is not a lot of flow where mine are located.
Mine are in a Sps tank and the flow is pretty high. I just don't want them to flow around the tank or go down the overflow.

Mine are in a Sps tank and the flow is pretty high. I just don't want them to flow around the tank or go down the overflow.
Most of them have quite a good grip on the mother dead plate and will not release for quite some time- as long as you don’t touch the plate or move the plate. The ones that release too soon are typically the ones that do not make it for me. If you are really concerned, later when they are a little bigger, plastic bottle top thing might work with lots of holes, just make sure they get some flow and the same light they have now. They do not like a lot of change at the early stages and they like a little flow and no detritus build up. For me, in all my tanks, the less I touch or move the plate trees, the better they perform.

Edit- here is an example, never touch it and it does ok here. B30F857E-E997-403B-BD79-32EF6FEDFB78.jpeg

Last edited:
Most of them have quite a good grip on the mother dead plate and will not release for quite some time- as long as you don’t touch the plate or move the plate. The ones that release too soon are typically the ones that do not make it for me. If you are really concerned, later when they are a little bigger, plastic bottle top thing might work with lots of holes, just make sure they get some flow and the same light they have now. They do not like a lot of change at the early stages and they like a little flow and no detritus build up. For me, in all my tanks, the less I touch or move the plate trees, the better they perform.

Edit- here is an example, never touch it and it does ok here. View attachment 53016
Those plates, that is simply a work of art.😍

Sorry, this may be big photo bomb, I just need to got thru them. I hope you enjoy.

20220116_171318.jpg

20220116_171317.jpg

20220116_171316.jpg

20220116_171244.jpg

A continuation of the photos drop from yesterday. I am still going thru them as I kinda went camera crazy, LOL!!!

20220116_171243.jpg

20220116_171206.jpg

20220116_171202.jpg

20220116_171121.jpg

On the 2nd to last photo, you can see where my Blonde Naso was spurred by someone. I am guessing the Gem tang.

On the 2nd photo, you can actually see the spurs growing on my Blonde Naso tang. Also, gotta love the photo bomb of the Scarlett Skunk Cleaner shrimp in the same photo, LOL!!!

A continuation of the photos drop from yesterday. I am still going thru them as I kinda went camera crazy, LOL!!!

20220116_171243.jpg

20220116_171206.jpg

20220116_171202.jpg

20220116_171121.jpg

On the 2nd to last photo, you can see where my Blonde Naso was spurred by someone. I am guessing the Gem tang.

On the 2nd photo, you can actually see the spurs growing on my Blonde Naso tang. Also, gotta love the photo bomb of the Scarlett Skunk Cleaner shrimp in the same photo, LOL!!!
I didn’t know you have a Gem Tang so friggin’ pretty

I have been totally redoing my returns today. I finally have it up and running.

I only hooked up the left return flow sensor so far, BUT, I am impressed. I am getting 450 gph at 50 percent of the Abyzz.

Screenshot (413).png

Now I need to check for leaks...UGH!!!

I have been totally redoing my returns today. I finally have it up and running.

I only hooked up the left return flow sensor so far, BUT, I am impressed. I am getting 450 gph at 50 percent of the Abyzz.

Screenshot (413).png

Now I need to check for leaks...UGH!!!

I hear those Abyzz pumps are awesome.
I'm jealous you have conductivity readings! Two of my probes have been out for 6 months and I've not been able to find replacements (always out of stock) :(

I had bumped up the percentage on the Abyzz to 60 percent, but ended up getting 600 gph, or 1200 gph when you add both returns. That was roughly 6x turnover, and I like it to be around 4x, so I lowered it to 55 percent. I also hooked up the 2nd
GHL Flow sensor.

Screenshot (417).png

I hear those Abyzz pumps are awesome.
I'm jealous you have conductivity readings! Two of my probes have been out for 6 months and I've not been able to find replacements (always out of stock) :(
Not sure why they are out of stock. I just checked BRS and they don't have any.

Do you have any pics of the new return layout?

After my last system and having more more now I have gone with the KISS method for my plumbing. Even then it's more complex than I want it, but 2 pumps and the distance I need to move the water it's as simple as I could make it.

After my last system and having more more now I have gone with the KISS method for my plumbing. Even then it's more complex than I want it, but 2 pumps and the distance I need to move the water it's as simple as I could make it.
Not yet, but, its about the same and maybe a bit simpler. I upsized the returns from 1" to 1.25" and now have a dedicated header for my reactors instead of 2 separate ones. I also went with a single pump vs. 2.

Last edited:
I was hoping to finish the return upgrade this weekend, but, I will likely need to replace the MB on my gaming computer and that will take up a bit of time. We will see as I do not have much left on the plumbing, just the reactor header. Then I need to clean up the wiring and doser tubing.

I just took some pictures, please excuse the mess as I still need to clean up the wiring and doser tubing. The one picture is of my header, I will just need to finish it and cut down the center tube.

20220128_161209.jpg20220128_161216.jpg20220128_161226.jpg20220128_161153.jpg

Last edited:
Back