Aquarium Schmo's 11 Gallon Frag Tank

Stand built and tank moved; for such a small tank, it was a lot of work to move. All three sides are removable for easy access. I tried several methods of hanging the panels and ended up using neodymium magnets which makes it super easy to remove them. Was initially thinking of going fancier for the overall look of the stand, but decided on a modern look. It is 36 inches tall. I used Behr Ultra semi-gloss black paint. Inside is a 5 gallon bucket for the ATO, two power strips (one is wifi enabled), dosing pump, air pump for skimmer, and an automatic power outage air pump.

Attachments

• IMG_20190505_175623442.jpg
    IMG_20190505_175623442.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20190505_213235405.jpg
    IMG_20190505_213235405.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 32
How has the all for reef been for you? Is that what you are dosing?

How has the all for reef been for you? Is that what you are dosing?

I started with All-for-Reef on both tanks and used it up, then switch to Carbo-Calcium. With weekly water changes, I questioned the need for the included trace elements in All-for-Reef; it is also kind of expensive and depending on how much you are dosing, it doesn't last long. With Carbo-Calcium, it is just Alkalinity and Calcium. It comes in a powder form that you mix with RODI water and it lasts a lot longer. It has kept my tanks very stable, so I'm happy with it. Except for the trace elements, I think they are the same thing. Carbo-Calcium comes in both a powder and pre-mixed liquid form, but All-for-Reef only comes in a pre-mixed liquid form.

How are you liking the Hipargero light? I am thinking about using one on my 16 gal tank

How are you liking the Hipargero light? I am thinking about using one on my 16 gal tank

The soft and LPS corals are doing amazing; excellent coloration and all very fluffy; for the ones that I moved over from my other tank, they are actually doing way better. For SPS, I added a birdsnest, acro, and two montis. The montis both had STN; the birdsnest is doing great; and the acro seems fine, but I'm not sure the coloration is what is supposed to be. But who knows, not sure I can blame the STN on the light. It would also help if I had a PAR meter to dial them in properly. I run mine at 2 clicks down for the blue channel and 6 clicks down on the white channel.

Every tank has its own fingerprint even if you do the exact same things with the tanks you have. I love how fluffy and full things are looking in here. Happy beautiful corals!

I started with All-for-Reef on both tanks and used it up, then switch to Carbo-Calcium. With weekly water changes, I questioned the need for the included trace elements in All-for-Reef; it is also kind of expensive and depending on how much you are dosing, it doesn't last long. With Carbo-Calcium, it is just Alkalinity and Calcium. It comes in a powder form that you mix with RODI water and it lasts a lot longer. It has kept my tanks very stable, so I'm happy with it. Except for the trace elements, I think they are the same thing. Carbo-Calcium comes in both a powder and pre-mixed liquid form, but All-for-Reef only comes in a pre-mixed liquid form.
I just got the kamoer x1 dosing pump and also am about to start dosing carbocalcium any tips for first time dosing beginner like me :D

I just got the kamoer x1 dosing pump and also am about to start dosing carbocalcium any tips for first time dosing beginner like me :D

Yes, buy a Hanna Alkalinity Checker, it will make dialing in the correct dosage super easy. I started my 11 gallon at 2ml and my 20 at 4 ml total daily and adjusted from there. My 20 gallon (mostly SPS coral) is currently at 5.3 and my 11 gallon is at 1.5 ml (mostly LPS). For Alk, if you are doing weekly water changes, aim for the same level as your salt mix. I use Live Aquaria salt which is around 8.5 dkh. I rarely test calcium since it is typically consumed at the same level as alkalinity.

Thanks for the tips, i actually just got the hannah alk checker. Tested my water and my alkalinity was pretty low, im gonna do a couple of water changes to try and bring it up slowly before i actually start dosing. One question how do i know how much i should start off dosing. I get how i adjust it, if it makes my alkalinity too high i lower it some and if its to low i add a little more. But what do i start off with, my tank is a 10 gallon btw

Thanks for the tips, i actually just got the hannah alk checker. Tested my water and my alkalinity was pretty low, im gonna do a couple of water changes to try and bring it up slowly before i actually start dosing. One question how do i know how much i should start off dosing. I get how i adjust it, if it makes my alkalinity too high i lower it some and if its to low i add a little more. But what do i start off with, my tank is a 10 gallon btw

you test and then dose and then test again to make sure that's where you want your parameters to be. repeat daily or every other day for 2 weeks. also BRS has a calculator to help with the dosage amount.

But what do i start off with, my tank is a 10 gallon btw

There is a method of calculating your daily consumption by measuring, waiting 5 days, measure again, then divide by 5 to get your daily consumption rate. You would then use one of the online calculators to determine the correct dosage. That's the best way, but I was too excited to set it up, so here's what I did:

The container says 5 ml for every 26 gallons, so I chose to start with 2 ml for my 11 gallon. For each scheduled dose, the minimum is 0.5 ml, so I think you would be good starting with 3 scheduled doses, but it really depends on how much corals you have in the tank. And if I'm not mistaken, I have heard corals don't consume as much at night, so I have them scheduled while the lights are on at 12:00, 16:00, and 20:00.

Back