Snail/slug?

RahsReef

Supporting
Reaction score
Hey, last night after my light shut off, I noticed this guy on the wall of my tank. Not sure if its a snail or a possible sea slug. I just recently started dipping my corals so it must have got in before this took place. I do not have any damage to corals so not thinking its something terrible. Please let me know and sorry the pics are terrible. Thanks for your help! During the day he hides in my rock structure like the rest of my hermits. So usually dont see yhe CUC until the light is off.
5b3f06bbae069e0a34455cda87aa0192.jpg
f860491288c2b4b31b80f0e6ceb1f06b.jpg
5d21d42be12dd5fd8394e923d0d9094c.jpg

Sent from my Galxy Note

It looks like stomatella snail to me. They are a pretty common hitchhiker and I would suggest you get rid of it by giving it (and any others you might find) to me.

Seriously though, google stomatella and you'll see a bunch of pictures. They're small but do a good job of grazing on algae and just looking cute in general. I've got a bunch of them in my frag system and occasionally I'll pull some and add them to my other systems.

It looks like stomatella snail to me. They are a pretty common hitchhiker and I would suggest you get rid of it by giving it (and any others you might find) to me.

Seriously though, google stomatella and you'll see a bunch of pictures. They're small but do a good job of grazing on algae and just looking cute in general. I've got a bunch of them in my frag system and occasionally I'll pull some and add them to my other systems.
Yes! That is the word for them! I can never remember the names of stuff.

Is that a stomatella snail or a keyhole limpet snail? It looks like a keyhole limpet snail to me but the picture is a little fuzzy.

Is that a stomatella snail or a keyhole limpet snail? It looks like a keyhole limpet snail to me but the picture is a little fuzzy.
Is a keyhole limpet snail okay if that is what it is?

Sent from my Galxy Note

Since you asked - little limpet snails are pretty similar but their shell is more "pointy" and they tend to be a lot smaller. I've got a bunch of them in my overflow and you can see where they've eaten away the film algae.* So they are "good" but they just too small to really make any noticeable difference. There are a few bad limpets out there but the little white one's that commonly come in as hitchhikers are just fine.

Since you asked - little limpet snails are pretty similar but their shell is more "pointy" and they tend to be a lot smaller. I've got a bunch of them in my overflow and you can see where they've eaten away the film algae.* So they are "good" but they just too small to really make any noticeable difference. There are a few bad limpets out there but the little white one's that commonly come in as hitchhikers are just fine.
Thank you! Wonderful information to know. :)

Sent from my Galxy Note

Back