Repurpose bio pellet reactor?

jman930

Supporting
Reaction score
Anyone ever repurposed a bio pellet reactor? I would connect it to a manifold so I can control the flow. Can it be used for gfo or carbon or is it best to just pick up a reactor designed for those media types?

Anyone ever repurposed a bio pellet reactor? I would connect it to a manifold so I can control the flow. Can it be used for gfo or carbon or is it best to just pick up a reactor designed for those media types?
I would think you could with no issue, considering I use a mix-use reactor that can be used for any of those that you mention. When using GFO or Carbon, I just use a sponge filter as well, but if I were to use it for bio-pellets, I would just remove the sponge filter out.

By the way, @jcook54 recommended me to the Lifegard Aquatics reactors and they work great. Easy to use and clean and comes with a pump of its own so you can get consistent flow.

Should be fine to repurpose. One thing to consider though is how the flow affects whatever the media is, if it's built to keep the media bed moving, you may not want to use it with say carbon, but gfo would be fine. Or carbon but just at a low enough flow that is not able to lift the bed.

Good advice guys. That’s what I was thinking but wanted to confirm so I didn’t waste efforts.

Agree with all the above, use it for whatever you want, just watch flow rate.

The biggest difference in media reactor vs bio pellet reactors are just the sponge vs mesh. If you use a sponge in a bio reactor, everything will clog very quickly

Back