Toadstool not happy

NanCrab

Supporting
Reaction score
I’m hoping someone can help me here. I have a toadstool I bought about 3 or so years ago. It was tiny. It had grown to about 5x the size it was when I got it. For no apparent reason (chemistry is stable) it has pulled in its polyps or whatever they’re called and been closed up. It also appears to be shrinking. It isn’t extending at all. I’m not quite sure what to do. To my knowledge there have been no swings in parameters but I don’t have an Apex or any kind of continuous monitoring other than temp.
These parameters have been very consistent for almost a year. I dose a small amount of All For Reef hourly on a pump
Yesterday:
Temp: 78.6
pH 8.0 (Hanna)
dKH - 8.4 (Hanna)
Specific Gravity 1.025
PO4 high yesterday at .12 with GFO running (Hanna)
NO3 high 25 (Hanna) but has been for a long time even with ReefMat, skimmer, bio balls, matrix, water changes (done yesterday after I tested H2O (have turned of bio all reactor because it seemed to make nitrates higher)🤷🏻‍♀️
Calcium and Magnesium (NYOS) 420 & 1270 respectively
Can’t think of anything else. Everything else is happy and healthy
Before (not this color I just dont
IMG_5448.jpeg
Now (for about a week)
IMG_6450.jpeg
Any ideas greatly appreciated! Also help with nutrients. We feed heavy. I don’t usually vacuum or disrupt the sandbed but maybe it would help? I obviously am struggling a bit with algae too
Thanks!

Ours reacted one time due to a new sachet of phosphate remover. We had to pull it, rinse again and it was fine. There is also a chance it is preparing to shed its skin too. You might add some carbon to clarify for a few days to see if that helps.

Thanks Brandi! I already have carbon running in a reactor. I did recently stop the bio ball reactor though. Maybe I should rinse them and start them up again

I think your nitrates are fine but mag may be a little low. When’s the last time you measured the TDS of your RO water? Stuff was looking a little funny in my tank and come to find out I needed to change the RO filters because my TDS was super high

I think your nitrates are fine but mag may be a little low. When’s the last time you measured the TDS of your RO water? Stuff was looking a little funny in my tank and come to find out I needed to change the RO filters because my TDS was super high
My TDS meter says zero but I wonder if it’s trustworthy. I need to change out my resin

Back