Tomini Tang - not eating…3 weeks…help!

sjf

Reaction score
Hello! Hoping I can get some guidance on how to get my fish to eat! Purchased a Tomini Tang (3 weeks ago), has been isolated in quarantine during this time and been through preventive parasite + bacterial treatments. Water parameters are all normal. He seems healthy overall but he’s absolutely not appearing to consume any food! I’m afraid it is going to pass away due to the lack of nutrition. I’ve tried seaweed/nori/ brine/mysis/flakes and pellets. No luck to getting him to consume. Here are some pics to give you an idea of its (visual) health. Any observations that I am missing? Not sure if I can attach a video here to show its movement but will start with the pics first. Would appreciate any suggestions to help me save this one!!

Attachments

• IMG_2035.jpeg
    IMG_2035.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2034.jpeg
    IMG_2034.jpeg
    201.9 KB · Views: 9
Get a small rock and rubberband some Nori with garlic on it. Some tangs like to pick at rocks and not eat nori off a clip.

Get a small rock and rubberband some Nori with garlic on it. Some tangs like to pick at rocks and not eat nori off a
Thanks. Will try that. Any guidance on the garlic addition? Meaning….is that like a liquid added/soaked in the Nori or should I be looking for nori that already has garlic added to it? Appreciate the clarification. Thx.

I tried the suggestion from NAS yesterday and tied the Nori (w/ Seachem garlic soaked prior) using a rubber band to a small rock. I watched from afar (for about a hour), but could see no change to his curiosity or behavior to feed on the nori. I additionally also reduced the light intensity in the QT. He seems to be moving around the back glass a lot more versus the prior day (not hiding in the PVC pipes as much) but still no visual feeding activity. Nori is still in the tank (almost 24 hrs now)…and starting to disintegrate some. I tried some frozen brine this morning but it’s just floating around; no reaction from the Tomini to want to feed. Btw - aside from looking “skinny” (IMO), he still appears to have a healthy profile and stable movement. Zero signs of disease or inflammation or redness anywhere on its body. Open to other suggestions or ideas. Thanks in advance for trying to help.

I tried the suggestion from NAS yesterday and tied the Nori (w/ Seachem garlic soaked prior) using a rubber band to a small rock. I watched from afar (for about a hour), but could see no change to his curiosity or behavior to feed on the nori. I additionally also reduced the light intensity in the QT. He seems to be moving around the back glass a lot more versus the prior day (not hiding in the PVC pipes as much) but still no visual feeding activity. Nori is still in the tank (almost 24 hrs now)…and starting to disintegrate some. I tried some frozen brine this morning but it’s just floating around; no reaction from the Tomini to want to feed. Btw - aside from looking “skinny” (IMO), he still appears to have a healthy profile and stable movement. Zero signs of disease or inflammation or redness anywhere on its body. Open to other suggestions or ideas. Thanks in advance for trying to help.
Sorry to hear it didn’t work for you. Maybe look into metroplex/kanaplex for possible parasites that are preventing him from eating.

Reactions: sjf
Thanks NAS. I’ve not used metroplex/kanaplex (historically), but he went through the API “ All Cure” Parasitic dosage as part of my QT process. Do you think trying Metroplex /Kanaplex dosage will give him a better chance? I don’t mind trying the suggestion (just don’t have any in my QT medication stash right now), so just curious if this medication works differently from the API All Cure, in your opinion? Thanks!

I saw it eat (flakes) at the LFS and it was eating some in the QT the first few days (few nibbles but then started spitting the food out and then ignoring it entirely as the days progressed).

Back