Prolonged bacterial bloom

ecoreefguy

Supporting
Reaction score
Well, I had a very bad case of bacterial bloom a few weeks ago. At this point I don’t see any solutions. Tank is relatively new, but I don’t believe it would cause this bacteria to stay for this long.
Parameters is ok
1.025 salinity (hanna
9.50- 9.89 alk ( trident/Hanna)
442 calcium (trident)
1289 mag -1350 ( trident /Hanna)
.09-.12 phosphate (Hanna)
8 nitrate (salifret)

I have a Nero 3 and a Tunze agitating the water surface. I am going to slowly maybe remove my matrix and see if it helps. Any ideas to a solution would be great. I never had this issue before. I did tried a new bacterial starter from fritz over dr time when I started the tank. Possible cause but can’t be sure

Grab yourself a cheaper UV Sterilizer (I recommend the Green Killing Machine, highest wattage that will fit in your display) and run in the display until bloom is gone. It sounds like you have an excess of organic carbon fueling the bloom. Check for aerosols and air fresheners/scented candles nearby.

Grab yourself a cheaper UV Sterilizer (I recommend the Green Killing Machine, highest wattage that will fit in your display) and run in the display until bloom is gone. It sounds like you have an excess of organic carbon fueling the bloom. Check for aerosols and air fresheners/scented candles nearby.
My wife likes candles…. Fk

Diatom filters work also. Check here.

Diatom filters work also. Check here.

Use the polishing filter or stuff it full of floss?

You actually use a 100 micron filter, then pack it with diatomaceous earth. It acts as a very fine filter.

I did it for a bacterial bloom in my Qt tank when I couldn't use a uv due to copper. Worked like a charm.

When I had a bacterial bloom the only thing that worked was a properly sized UV sterilizer. It knocked it out in about 3 days. Water changes didn't do anything because the bacteria would reproduce so quickly. Just make sure you have plenty of oxygen in the tank because bacteria blooms will suck oxygen out of the water and kill livestock.

Back