Calcium Reactor Media for Substrate

chemaholic

Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
I am looking to grow out some corals in one of my tanks. I will start with zoas/palys and mushrooms. I have experimented with growing them out on large tiles so I can cut the tiles up to frag the colony. I had mixed results with this method. Another method I have heard of is putting a coarse substrate on the bottom of the tank, planting the original frag plug in it, and then letting the zoas just grow over the substrate. To frag you would separate the pices of substrate from the colony and glue it onto a plug or tile.

Has anyone tried using calcium reactor media as a substrate? Do you think it would work in the way I described above? Do you have better alternatives?

Thanks!

I glue small pieces of reef rock/rubble onto my rock for corals to grow onto, which is then easily broken off, and also use rubble in corners or baskets in my frag tank for corals to spread to. I expect calcium reactor media would work fine, as would Seachem Matrix, but I don't see how they would provide any advantage over plain reef rock rubble, and probably more expensive.

I glue small pieces of reef rock/rubble onto my rock for corals to grow onto, which is then easily broken off, and also use rubble in corners or baskets in my frag tank for corals to spread to. I expect calcium reactor media would work fine, as would Seachem Matrix, but I don't see how they would provide any advantage over plain reef rock rubble, and probably more expensive.
I will see if I can find some reef rock rubble. I have plenty of rocks I just have no desire to spend time busting them up. I did some of that for my last aquascape and it was a pain.

Go buy some really cheap dry rock and a hammer.

IMO growing on a tile and cutting the tile is the best way to grow out and frag stuff. What issues with this method are you having?

I’ve used bathroom tiles in the past as frag plugs. You can buy them cheap at home depot.IMG_5456.jpeg

Part of it is the cost of large tiles. Some of it is the time involved in cutting the mat then hoping the tile breaks right. I was just looking for an easier way. If I have to I can keep using tiles.

Part of it is the cost of large tiles. Some of it is the time involved in cutting the mat then hoping the tile breaks right. I was just looking for an easier way. If I have to I can keep using tiles.
@Adam - Share the process of making your own tiles, and absolutely cheap they will be.

While I haven't done it yet, I've seen some YouTube vids on making your own tiles.

I have everything needed to make silicone molds. Once those are made I'll mix a medium coarse aragnite sand with this...

Back