Octo Lux 90

Also, I'm seeing a lot of acros missing from the 1st post along with no more clam. Again, not trying to bash your methods, its just rare to be successful going down this path. But, it's a lesson we all have learned, hence the feedback and shock you would get from reefers who been doing this for a long time.
There's 2 acros missing. The deep water colony and one other piece which I explained were probably cooked going from black boxes 2 feet overhead to halide and 6 inches under the surface. The clam is not missing, there's just so many coral now you can't see it. Here's the clam as of 30 seconds ago:
20240116_181613.jpg

Easy lads...while forward progress is usually made by defying conventional wisdom - reefing is a zero-sum game.
Sooner or later everyone's tank will crash. Enjoy the moments where things are going well.

Last edited:
Easy lads...while forward progress is usually made by defying conventional wisdom - reefing is a zero some game.
Sooner or later everyone's tank will crash. Enjoy the moments where things are going well.
I'm not upset, my confidence comes from knowledge and experience. Barring some major catastrophe IE: heater sticking on, long power outage, or harsh chemical introduced there's no reason a tank should crash.

I'm not upset, my confidence comes from knowledge and experience. Barring some major catastrophe IE: heater sticking on, long power outage, or harsh chemical introduced there's no reason a tank should crash.

I think its awesome that you are using your experience and knowledge. We see your confidence.
It will be nice if you share more BUT, since you like to show that you have lots of corals and you can "grow em!" and keep em alive :) Keep it up.
I think its okay to just post what you like only too. There are lots of ups and down in this hobby and challenges ect...
Man you already know all this... so i'll stop :)

I think its probably best to think that LFS put lots of time into getting things running instead whatever... because you know, they got lots of water and money in it... <><

New head of Aussie hammer put in Sunday night:

20240206_213643.jpg

20240206_233904.jpg

Also added wolverine and flamethrower favias

20240204_233934.jpg
20240204_234236.jpg

Wolverine claws:
20240205_120732.jpg

Some should take noticed of this build~

Growth is amazing with them MH.

I assume you skipped the ugly phase from using the cured rocks?

Some should take noticed of this build~

Growth is amazing with them MH.

I assume you skipped the ugly phase from using the cured rocks?

My rock was all dry live rock, the ugly phase was around the second week when I had the diatom bloom. Being bare bottom avoids some issues. The tank was started with base rock and without any bacteria additives.

Last edited:
This is first tank I’ve seen that went right into growing mode without any ugly phases. Diatom is not really the uglies. It’s the hair algae that takes over the rock that we all have to battle. Your rock went right into green coral line algae. Using Mh. Whats the secret to such skipping!?

Edit: maybe you are scrubbing it with tooth brush. Idk lol.

This is first tank I’ve seen that went right into growing mode without any ugly phases. Diatom is not really the uglies. It’s the hair algae that takes over the rock that we all have to battle. Your rock went right into green coral line algae. Using Mh. Whats the secret to such skipping!?

Edit: maybe you are scrubbing it with tooth brush. Idk lol.
Hair algae is crazy. Using RO water you shouldn't ever get hair. I didn't even add any snails until the second month. Bare bottom tanks run much cleaner, also low fish load and water changes. Idk why, but this new generation of reefers seems to be against changing water and treat it as an absolute last resort.

PS cycling a tank is only for fish. You can start a tank and throw in corals no problem within 24 hours, especially if you use good live rock

Back