20g IM AIO

jcook54

Secretary
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
Well it's been 20 years in the hobby for me and I've finally decided to try out a nano tank. I set up a 20g Innovative Marine All-In-One a few days ago and the cycle has started. Here's the steps I took to get this thing up and running.

1. I made a cardboard template of the tank bottom to play around with aquascaping on. 23" x 11" didn't sound too small but when I had the template cut I realized just how nano the tank actually is. I fooled with a lot of different configurations, picks a few that I liked and then sent pics to friends to get some outside input. I deleted most of the iterations but here's what I settled on.

PXL_20210219_200211817.jpg

2. The levelling mat that was on the tank was kind of torn up and I decided to replace it. If you find yourself in this situation, make sure you have a new razor blade for scraping the close cell foam mat off. I initially went at it with a blade that I thought was adequate but I was wrong. Switched to a new blade and it started coming off a lot easier. I did have some help.

PXL_20210220_131334372.MP.jpg

3. I set the tank itself up and added the rock. Took a few pictures at this point to send to my reef pals just to make sure the 'scape got a thumbs up all around before I added the sand.

PXL_20210220_174831864.jpg

4. Added water and voila! On a tank like this it's possible to actually measure the exact water volume since I was adding it in 4g increments. This 20g tank took 15 gallons to fill up given all of the rock, substrate and other hardware taking up space.

PXL_20210220_211628074.jpg

5. The temperature stabilized at 77° and within 24 hours it got really cloudy. The larger rock on the left side of the tank was added without being cleaned. Everything was dry but I figured the dead organics would help kick start the cycle. Everything else was thoroughly rinsed and clean before added to the tank. The only "live" stuff I added was a handful of matrix and a few bioballs from my basement tanks to help seed things.

PXL_20210221_143943283.jpg

7. Now I'm waiting. I did add some nitrification bacteria ( thanks @Adam ) and I'll ghost feed every once in a while before I even start testing for anything. I'm in no rush and will let the cycle cycle without any lights. I may start to look at adding living things some time in May or at least that's the goal.

The IM system that I bought was pretty much the complete "Pro" package that came with the DC return pump (346 gph), the random flow nozzles along with a ghost skimmer and a dope little IM Aquagadget reactor. Right now it's got the Finnex 150W heater on it but I don't think that's going to last too long once I start adding critters. The light that's shown in the Fluval SEA Marine LED 24". It's a really nice piece of equipment and the bluetooth connection really make programming it simple. My biggest complaint is that when the power goes out, the program reverts back to 12:00 midnight when the power comes on. Since it's a Bluetooth connection and not wifi, I have to be home in order to connect and get the time set right. The PAR level at the high point of the tank are in the 170s and the sandbed tests between 80-100. The spread isn't all that great but it is close to the water and the tank is only 11" front-to-back.

The only other thing I'd like to point out is that IM really is an outstanding product. This is the first tank from them that I've had in my possession and the quality and attention to detail is really something else. For example, the back side of the overflow has a little plastic lip that forces the water away from the back wall and into the media trays or filter sock. The media trays are great quality and the legs on the front are a few mm shorter than the back side and this forces the whole tray to the front of the back wall and well under the lip I mentioned before. There are quite a few little things like this that tell me it was well thought out and designed. I did have a question and reached out to IM customer service and got a response within 24 hours and that pretty good for a random email to customer service.

My original goal for the tank was to do a mantic species only tank but now I'm considering a nem tank since I refuse to put any of those wandering things is any of my systems. I'm not sure where I'll land but, for now, the cycle has started and I've got a few months to think about it.

Back