Not real happy with reef breeders led and sps...add T5 for better growth? Or go MH?

reeferman;985655 wrote: i dont know your situation at all but i will say that one of the best,well respected acro vendors out there[Adam Derickson at Battle Corals]runs Reefbreeders over some of his tanks and Radions over his dt.he always has some of the best most colorful acros out there.im only bringing this up to illustrate that it can certainly be done with Reefbreeders.

It definitely can, but just about everything he sells are under 250w radiums. He likes his radions but has admitted not getting the same amount of growth from them.

Mikesmith34;985648 wrote: A s...load:shout:. Like really it was pretty warm in the living room. Some peeps run exhaust into the attic or something. I could not nor did I want to.

I never really has a problem with my water getting 2 hot but I had 2 canopy fans blowing on the water. Now evap rate was extremely high 1.5-2 gallons a day but it keep the temp in check

Were you running a chiller? Usually that's going to be the source of heat. I know my office gets pretty warm in the summer with the DT in there.

tonymission;985660 wrote: Were you running a chiller? Usually that's going to be the source of heat. I know my office gets pretty warm in the summer with the DT in there.

No chiller just two fans in the canopy

reeferman;985655 wrote: i dont know your situation at all but i will say that one of the best,well respected acro vendors out there[Adam Derickson at Battle Corals]runs Reefbreeders over some of his tanks and Radions over his dt.he always has some of the best most colorful acros out there.im only bringing this up to illustrate that it can certainly be done with Reefbreeders.

Yes and you don't do such a bad job yourself running an led lit tank. Very nice stuff

tonymission;985659 wrote: It definitely can, but just about everything he sells are under 250w radiums. He likes his radions but has admitted not getting the same amount of growth from them.

not so true.i speak with Adam just about every week and he tells me all the time how much he loves leds.a lot of the stuff he sells is grown under led,just ask him,hes very forthright with his setup.

thanks Mike,ive never had a problem growing or coloring any acros under my leds and have been doing it for well over 3 years

No expert but it seems from an outside perspective that MH gives you a little more room for error, but LED is less forgiving. It seems that if you have everything else in check then LED works great but MH will still grow corals even if the water chemistry is not perfect

exactly right...but,if water chemistry is not perfect,youre not gonna be able to get the most out of acros regardless of what light you are implementing

reeferman;985666 wrote: not so true.i speak with Adam just about every week and he tells me all the time how much he loves leds.a lot of the stuff he sells is grown under led,just ask him,hes very forthright with his setup.

thanks Mike,ive never had a problem growing or coloring any acros under my leds and have been doing it for well over 3 years

Yea you don't know it but you were the nail in the coffin for my MH. I had been thinking about it for awhile and took the plung. Could not be happier with growth of color ( well except for my joes rainbow). Very much alive just in neutral.

reeferman;985666 wrote: not so true.i speak with Adam just about every week and he tells me all the time how much he loves leds.a lot of the stuff he sells is grown under led,just ask him,hes very forthright with his setup.

We text and talk regularly being from the same part of the country and me generally being annoying (and grabbing a few packs). Says he loves his radions but growth is a bit slower, also runs them with vhos in a prop tank and likes the color there. Has them in his DT because he's not going for just all out growth and made a comment about moving his blue panther back to the radiums as it's lost a bit of color when I told him I moved mine to the radium tank and it turned more blue. We've never talked about reef breeders, but I don't doubt he likes those too. I know he had/has a lot of LPS for awhile and that those were mainly under LED. Not sure which ones.

I'm definitely not trying to argue about which is better or disparage LEDs in any way. I have a radion and like it a lot. Just pointing out that I didn't think they were the key to his "acro success" based on our conversations.

I doubt reef breeders holds a candle to radion pros

As far as LED goes I'm of the opinion that it's the very best available on the market or DIY. Those are the only options!

Some will disagree but that's my opinion

reeferman;985669 wrote: exactly right...but,if water chemistry is not perfect,youre not gonna be able to get the most out of acros regardless of what light you are implementing

my understanding is that you're a heck of a reefer and so is adam... you could both make it work any way, but idiots like me need training wheels.

josh, i think hit the nail on the head with his margin of error comment.

I haven't had time to post the breakdown of Sanjay Joshi's presentation at MACNA this month on switching his 500g tank from MH to Radions this year.
My feelings on LED and MH are pretty widely known amongst those who've been around here a while. But, I will say that Sanjay had nothing to report that would make me want to take my halides off the tank anytime soon.

Bottom line, he had to end up running the same total watts of LED as he did halide to achieve the same coverage and PAR values. He admitted the only reason he did it was the fact that his chiller failed while he was at MACNA the previous year and wiped out his tank. He said he just never wanted to worry about a chiller again. His break even period factoring in ALL variables was 3.5 years with the Radions. (And that's paying a discounted $600 per fixture.) He also estimated about 80% growth with LED compared to MH. He also said he had several acros that simply won't grow at all that used to grow like a weed for him under MH.

BUT, all that aside, I still stand by my original post in this thread that I think the OP should confirm other parameters prior to switching because it CAN be done with the fixtures he has now. Just more difficult to.

i would agree that the other params need to be checked and confirmed and be very stable.
im not arguing growth either,mh are king for growth but really,im not interested near as much with growth as i am with color.my acros grow very well but as Seth said,maybe 80% comparative.
i certainly dont believe the leds are the key to Adams success either,i was just pointing out that it could be done and if he was comfortable with them,they must do alright.

I should have my red sea pro NO3/PO4 test kit in the mail tomorrow. We shall see I how I fair lol....

Seth The Wine Guy;985695 wrote: I haven't had time to post the breakdown of Sanjay Joshi's presentation at MACNA this month on switching his 500g tank from MH to Radions this year.
My feelings on LED and MH are pretty widely known amongst those who've been around here a while. But, I will say that Sanjay had nothing to report that would make me want to take my halides off the tank anytime soon.

Bottom line, he had to end up running the same total watts of LED as he did halide to achieve the same coverage and PAR values. He admitted the only reason he did it was the fact that his chiller failed while he was at MACNA the previous year and wiped out his tank. He said he just never wanted to worry about a chiller again. His break even period factoring in ALL variables was 3.5 years with the Radions. (And that's paying a discounted $600 per fixture.) He also estimated about 80% growth with LED compared to MH. He also said he had several acros that simply won't grow at all that used to grow like a weed for him under MH. </em>

BUT, all that aside, I still stand by my original post in this thread that I think the OP should confirm other parameters prior to switching because it CAN be done with the fixtures he has now. Just more difficult to.

Wow that's nuts that it took an equal amount of LED watts to what he had in MH before! All things being equal most of us running LED's are probably waaaaay under lit!

I can also attest to the statement that some acro's simply refuse to grow under my LED's. They just sit there with that funny look on their faces as if to say "that's not real light, I'm not growing".

DavidinGA;985743 wrote: I should have my red sea pro NO3/PO4 test kit in the mail tomorrow. We shall see I how I fair lol....

My test results:

NO3 - zero (tested 5 times lol)
PO4 - 0.04

Guess my algae scrubber is working like a champion after all.

Well I'm going MH now :)

Gonna stick the leds in the closet for now.

ugu5y9eb.jpg
alt="" />

Picked up a used set of 250w gear for $190. It came with:

2x lumen bright minis
1x lumen max

3x radium bulbs (4 months old)

2x coralvue ballasts
1x galaxy ballast

I'm debating adding some T5's now for tank viewing when the mh lights are off.

DavidinGA;987365 wrote: Well I'm going MH now :)

Gonna stick the leds in the closet for now.

ugu5y9eb.jpg
alt="" />

Picked up a used set of 250w gear for $190. It came with:

2x lumen bright minis
1x lumen max

3x radium bulbs (4 months old)

2x coralvue ballasts
1x galaxy ballast

I'm debating adding some T5's now for tank viewing when the mh lights are off.

Congrats, that's a pretty sick deal! You'll love it.

Back