Not real happy with reef breeders led and sps...add T5 for better growth? Or go MH?

dball711;985319 wrote: Also know that T5 bulbs need to be replaced every 8-12 months. With 4 bulbs thats $100-$150 additional every bulb change.
Too easy.

dball711;985319 wrote: Also know that T5 bulbs need to be replaced every 8-12 months. With 4 bulbs thats $100-$150 additional every bulb change.
Right. That's fine with me if the growth jumps.

tonymission;985293 wrote: That's a really sweet setup Seth! I did wade through the video. There are plenty of ways to pull off a successful reef and you've obviously done that, but I think generally speaking, the point remains. T5s are a really good supplement to combat the spotlight effect of a both LEDs and MHs. You have top level reflectors for your MHs and your kessils appear angled which I assume allows for more light "around" the rocks and corals. I think that's a great layout. Didn't say it couldn't be done but all in one fixtures have yet to incorporate that same setup. Makes the angles and higher level reflectors impossible to put together in a single fixture.

Fwiw- I run dual light cycles. That's what I mean by true hybrid. Six on six off. One is MH only and one is LED only. Hence the angled kessils to get a balanced light spread for the LED lighting period.

Not sure what you're saying. You mean getting the T5 bulb combo "right"? I just did some searches and there seems to be close to a consensus depending on what you're looking for.

All I know is anecdotal, but I have two tanks running MHs. One with 4 ati bulbs and the growth is great and the SPS colors are deep and rich; yellows are my standard and none in this tank are pastel.

Frag tank was radium bulbs only and most of the frags were washing out a bit but great growth. Even in a few days with the new radium/t5 fixture I'm seeing color come back.

Either way, I'm resigned to knowing I fell in love with a hobby that's not cheap. I've given up other hobbies to allow for this and not with any regret. Cheaper and easier isn't what I'm going for... If it happens to be cheaper and easier then I'm all for it, don't get me wrong. I try to do everything with the best interest of the livestock in mind. Usually that means a bit more effort and investment. I try to counteract the effort side with automation and redundancy to at least make it less of a chore.

Seth The Wine Guy;985354 wrote: Fwiw- I run dual light cycles. That's what I mean by true hybrid. Six on six off. One is MH only and one is LED only. Hence the angled kessils to get a balanced light spread for the LED lighting period.

That's interesting. Just something you experimented with or what led you there? It's working!

Do remember when adding it all up. Those 3 250's put out some insane heat into the room that your homes ac must cool back down. I went from 250x2 mh to photon 48 on my 90 and it's working great. Every tank is different but my corals are growing great. The heat from those lights in my living room made it miserable and my water stays nice and cool. I'm no expert by any means but I just don't think 2-32's are enough light for that big tank.

Mikesmith34;985383 wrote: Do remember when adding it all up. Those 3 250's put out some insane heat into the room that your homes ac must cool back down. I went from 250x2 mh to photon 48 on my 90 and it's working great. Every tank is different but my corals are growing great. The heat from those lights in my living room made it miserable and my water stays nice and cool. I'm no expert by any means but I just don't think 2-32's are enough light for that big tank.

How much room heat would say the mh added?

I'm with Seth and also run Led (Radion) and MH (Phoenix 175w 14k x 2) on a 75 gallon.
I'm getting awesome growth compared to when I only ran LEDs.

Camellia;985420 wrote: I'm with Seth and also run Led (Radion) and MH (Phoenix 175w 14k x 2) on a 75 gallon.
I'm getting awesome growth compared to when I only ran LEDs.
I wonder if your growth would slow at all if you ran only the mh?

DavidinGA;985426 wrote: I wonder if your growth would slow at all if you ran only the mh?

IDK, never have done this but many on here have. They will chime in sooner or later!

DavidinGA;985412 wrote: How much room heat would say the mh added?

I would say each 250w bulb is like dropping a 125w heater in the tank or better. Same goes for t5.
Plan on a chiller for sure. Sanjay Joshi only had (3)x400w over his 500g and needed a chiller. His chiller failed last year while at MACNA sending it into the 90's wiping out nearly the entire tank. It's the ONLY reason he said he switched to LED.

His entire presentation at MACNA this year detailing his switch from MH to LED was very interesting.

DavidinGA;985412 wrote: How much room heat would say the mh added?

A s...load:shout:. Like really it was pretty warm in the living room. Some peeps run exhaust into the attic or something. I could not nor did I want to.

I never really has a problem with my water getting 2 hot but I had 2 canopy fans blowing on the water. Now evap rate was extremely high 1.5-2 gallons a day but it keep the temp in check

i dont know your situation at all but i will say that one of the best,well respected acro vendors out there[Adam Derickson at Battle Corals]runs Reefbreeders over some of his tanks and Radions over his dt.he always has some of the best most colorful acros out there.im only bringing this up to illustrate that it can certainly be done with Reefbreeders.

Back