New reefer 220 build.

i was holding out on posting, not anymore, tank is done brother, call me when you ready to set frags in place!!!!

Will have to keep a very close eye on any For Sale threads...... you obviously have mad Photoshop skills. ;-)

Sent from my LGL31L using Tapatalk

hzheng33;1086721 wrote: also, I would drill some holes in the rock. these can be the future sites of new coral frags.

Almost makes me want to start the plumbing over. :tongue:

MYREEFCLUB0070;1086724 wrote: i was holding out on posting, not anymore, tank is done brother, call me when you ready to set frags in place!!!!

Been ready. ;)

Sewer Urchin;1086725 wrote: Will have to keep a very close eye on any For Sale threads...... you obviously have mad Photoshop skills. ;-)

LOL.

Ok, Rock and sand are in. Tank is filled and ammonia bumped up. I've still got to move some of the sand around but I'd like to get opinions of the rock work. Good, bad or indifferent.
b09cf4d324ea6ab4294a5ef074f88e98.jpg
alt="" />

I also have some Cardinals in QT. Finally fish in the house!

Thanks, this is the kind of stuff I'm looking for. I guess the pic isn't the best. There is a decent amount of space but I'll take a good look at it to see what I can do to make more gaps.

What about the overall structure?

aXio;1086871 wrote: Screw the rock... get that girl back in there!

I'd like to leave the rock in there... and scre... er, um, net... family forum... lol.

Oh the thoughts that run threw my head... :eek::blush:

Back to the scaping. I'll try to get a couple better pics when I get home tonight. The rocks on the top of each side are large pieces of Pukani and the one on the left is the biggest piece in the tank. I had a hard time recreating what I did in post #2 when putting the rock in the tank. I also incorporated two pieces of Tampa Bay live rock in there. I'm going for the a more minimalist two island look and I definitely want the right side taller than the left. While I know what I like I'm not the most creative artistically. So any help re-positioning pieces would be much appreciated.

We had a guy (Paul Whitby) present at one of last year's meetings on aquascaping and the use of the golden ratio and rule of thrids. He made a lot of good points about aquascaping and creating an aesthetically pleasing display. Might be something to research to give you some inspiration.

That what I'm trying to do with my sorry attempt Grant. I've been reading a lot but what I'm doing doesn't seem to come out that pleasing...

In the second post the tape on the table is for the 3rd lines of the tank. With what I've built the high spots in each mound are under the top bracing. I like the way most of the base Marco rock came out but the larger pieces of Pukani above just don't look right in the tank the way they did on the table and now that the two different kinds of rock are wet it's brought out their colors. I think I need to keep rearranging things. I've also been avoiding breaking up the Pukani and I may just have to break out the chisel.

My best is aquascaping advice...

Sometime you have to just walk away and sleep on it. Staring at it too much is my personal worst enemy.

aXio;1086896 wrote: Staring at it too much is my personal worst enemy.

Same goes for the other pics I posted... ;)

Yeah, I walked away from it a couple times last night. Hopefully I'll see things a little better/clearer when I get home tonight.

So this is where I'm at now after messing with it for a week and a half lol. I've tried to create many more open spaces while still getting some elevation in the water column.

384884db65c203251c1e0e29f98c40ea.jpg
alt="" />
7a3b54b53011ccdbb18ce7ae41cb9844.jpg
alt="" />

I have some areas to fill in at the base of some of the rock and epoxy spots for more stability and appearance.

I wish I wouldn't have thought I was done early on filled it with water and put the sand in. Guess that's a typical rookie mistake. The good thing about it is the tank is pretty much cycled. I took the ammonia up to .4 on 6/1 and have been phantom feeding it lightly every few days. Ammonia & nitrites have been zero for 4 days. The pistol shrimp and feather dusters that came on some TBS rock I got from MvM are all alive and well.

I like your new aquascape, especially that little ridge on the right.

Thanks Snot! I like the overhang it creates too. I've still got a little more tweaking to do and hope to get it done this weekend.

I've also got tubing on the way from EZtube for the light rack. I hope to get all that done and hung by early next week and I'll have some more pics to post.

Then it's time to fix the wall and get the opening trimmed.

Back