Matrix in Reactor

ralph atl

Market
Reaction score
I have about 1.8L of Matrix in a SeaSystems SSR-200 reactor (pads removed) hooked up to MJ1200. Outlet goes directly into baffles right before return pump. Do I need to add a valve and lower flow? What flow should I be using for this?

im not sure what is recomended but i know chemical medias like carbon and gfo work best with long contact times (slow flow) and would assume that the bacteria inside the matrix would do better with slow flow as well but mjs dont handle head pressure as well so dialing back the flow would most likely would lower the lifespan of it. i had a mj 400 on a purigen reactor for about a year and had cut the flow back more than half and now that 400 bearly pushes any water at all

Edit: sorry to ramble on but my point was either use a smaller mj or a pump that can handle the pressure that dialing it back will cause

I see lots of people talking about Matrix these days. I am under the impression, perhaps correct or not, that it is basically a fancy sintered glass. It might have more anerobic capabilities than I what I use in my Eheim canisters, but its biological rather than absorbtive media.

Ergo, if that's true, I would think you'd want a strong to moderate flow through it. Just like it would be in a canister filter.

I don't think it really matters in the long run, as the stuff is going 24/7. I'd go with strong-moderate flow like McPhock said. I have all the water entering my sump from the 155 going through Matrix. If you see a lessening of the flow over a short time, however, you might want to use something stronger than a MJ. I could be totally wrong on that, but I'd think Matrix would need a fairly strong pump to get through that reactor filled with it. I wouldn't valve it down at all with a MJ.

Acroholic;808627 wrote: I don't think it really matters in the long run, as the stuff is going 24/7. I'd go with strong-moderate flow like McPhock said. I have all the water entering my sump from the 155 going through Matrix. If you see a lessening of the flow over a short time, however, you might want to use something stronger than a MJ. I could be totally wrong on that, but I'd think Matrix would need a fairly strong pump to get through that reactor filled with it. I wouldn't valve it down at all with a MJ.

right now it's good flow, so I'll keep it like this. Thanks!

Larger size matrix (ie pond matrix) needs massive flow. I've been told by seachem that you cannot do too much flow with this stuff and the more the better.

Right now my 465 is at zero nitrates, so I am liking Matrix a lot right now, and that is me feeding 3x daily, frozen included.

I just want to throw my experience with a SeaSystems SSR-200. These things<u> cannot handle any pressure at all.</u> The acrylic tube is very thin and will expand under any pressure, the lid and flange will not, so they will crack. Make sure that flow out is equal to flow in or the capacity of outflow is grater then in.

I know this because a little while ago I changed out my carbon and was rinsing it. I stuck the end of tube loosely in kitchen sink faucet ( like I've done 10,000 time before whole holes filter casing) about 10 sec later I hear a loud pop. The faucet wasn't full open, I would have thought that if there was any pressure the tube come out of the faucet aerator.

I know that it's not going to happen with a MJ1200, I would only be worried if some one had a large pump ( say in a sump room in a basement) and it somehow the valve was open full throttle. If you add a valve don't add it to the discharge side.

mysterybox;808596 wrote: I have about 1.8L of Matrix in a SeaSystems SSR-200 reactor (pads removed) hooked up to MJ1200. Outlet goes directly into baffles right before return pump. Do I need to add a valve and lower flow? What flow should I be using for this?

Imo, don't reduce your flow rate.

Sewer Urchin;808643 wrote: I just want to throw my experience with a SeaSystems SSR-200. These things<u> cannot handle any pressure at all.</u> The acrylic tube is very thin and will expand under any pressure, the lid and flange will not, so they will crack. Make sure that flow out is equal to flow in or the capacity of outflow is grater then in.

I know this because a little while ago I changed out my carbon and was rinsing it. I stuck the end of tube loosely in kitchen sink faucet ( like I've done 10,000 time before whole holes filter casing) about 10 sec later I hear a loud pop. The faucet wasn't full open, I would have thought that if there was any pressure the tube come out of the faucet aerator.

I know that it's not going to happen with a MJ1200, I would only be worried if some one had a large pump ( say in a sump room in a basement) and it somehow the valve was open full throttle. If you add a valve don't add it to the discharge side.

Good psa. Aquarium equipment is not designed for high pressure applications. The only thing that can handle pressure is an rodi unit.

Any vales should be on the input side of the reactor. That assures it will not pressurize. I'm using two on my 465 and they are working very well. I have a lot of flow through mine that has the Rox .08 in it. I had to retape one of the barbed fittings initially, but no big deal. One thing I have been doing for years is lube the top o ring with a silicone grease. Tighten the keyhole top screws evenly in a star type pattern. That goes a long way to assuring leak free operation.

Ralph, I just turned my setup on today. I'm doing the same as you. Same reactor, same pump, wide open. IMHO, you literally cannot put too much flow through this media. The more water turnover the better. It's not about contact time like GFO/Carbon.

And agree completely with Raj & Dave, ANY valving for flow needs to take place before the reactor.

On my calcium reactor, I valve before and after the reactor. I tried just valving into the reactor but it's just way too touchy. Doing the before/after seems to GREATLY reduce the pressure in the reactor.

Ralph, seriously? Why bother?...your blue milli will make Luke Skywalker's light saber look dull...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mysterybox;808596 wrote: I have about 1.8L of Matrix in a SeaSystems SSR-200 reactor (pads removed) hooked up to MJ1200. Outlet goes directly into baffles right before return pump. Do I need to add a valve and lower flow? What flow should I be using for this?

Ralph,
I just set up a Sea Systems reactor with seeded Matrix in my 100 gallon reef system. I measured 10 ppm nitrate in the tank yesterday, and am curious to see what a couple liters will do for the nitrate level.

I think I'll need a better pump...or I might tee it off little eheim pump that I use for gfo & carbon...

Sounds good! I was about 10 when I started this as I let trates creep up feeding too much nutrmar ova! I stopped though...

We'll all need to update this thread with results...

I tested nitrates today just before water change and feeding and trates are back at &lt;1.0!

Of course, I also carbon dose 50/50 vodka/vinegar at 18ml daily......but even the last few weeks they were steady at 10.0!

I am attributing 2 things:
Stopped Nutramar Ova feeding and the Seachem Matrix has kicked in after 3 or so weeks (anecdotally).

I still feed heavily however, feeding 2 cubes of PE Mysis, 2 cubes Hakari Mysis, and 1 cube of Spirulina Brine with added Selcon Daily in a 90 (85).

oh forgot....I also feed live food at least 10 days out of 30, mostly being live black worms......that adds phates and trates for sure....

I can count how many times on one hand that I have tested nitrates in the past year, and I've never had any registerable readings except when I used a crappy API kit.

I think the matrix in the fuge really helps. I don't carbon dose anymore.

Fwiw, I use Tropic Marin Nitrate test kit...it's the only hobby test kit that I've found to distinguish between &lt;1.0 and 10....IMHO....

HACH on sale is like 75, not gonna do that.

Thanks for all of the input!

mysterybox,

Sorry for the delay in response! When using the Matrix, you can have any flow rate going through the media. It will function as a nitrifying and denitrifying filter at a high or low flow, just as long as water if flowing through it.

I hope this helps!

Back