Calcuim reactor question

itsamyheff

Supporting
Reaction score
So I started a calcuim reactor about 5 months ago. It's a geo system. I'm using dead coral pieces, aragonite reactor media, and remag in the reactor. I've been slowly tuning it. I'm running into lower calcuim numbers(360) and high alk numbers(12-14). My ph is 6.5-6.7 in the reactor. Do I increase my return pump to get higher calcuim and will that drop the alk? I haven't been adding anything additional.

I’m not sure how you are setting up the reactor, but the only 2 pumps on a GEO is usually a circulation pump and the feed pump. You can increase calcium 2 ways. Lower the pH in the chamber a bit, which will increase the calcium saturation in turn. But be careful cause you might turn the entire thing into a slurry. 2nd is to increase the effluent.

As for alk, the solution is kinda simple to solve. Check your mag levels and check your salt mix. Some salt mixes with alleviates levels. If that’s the case, change salts. If that’s the case, stop the CaRx for a bit and just dose calcium and let the alk slowly get used. If it’s not the salt, still stop the CaRX for a bit and dose calcium only until alk and calcium matches. Once things get normalized and you start the CaRX again, if alk is still raising rapidly, check the effulence. See if the levels are off.

I was calling the effluent the return. I've stopped the CaRX twice now with water changes to get back in check. I've changed from Fred's salt to red sea pro as well. Last time I got the calcium at 400 and alk at 9. After starting the CaRX my numbers went back to the 360 calcuim and 14 alk. My thought was to raise the effluent rate up to get the calcium back up but I don't know what that will do with my alk numbers. I didn't lower the ph in the CaRX for the fact that the tank is full and didn't want to turn it to muss. The tank is a mixed reef with zoas, hammers, torches and sticks. Everything looks happy except for 2 of the hammers.

Larry, here’s a link to Dave Grim’s (Acroholic) guide on calcium reactors. You may remember him? Everything you need to know, and then some!
Bill

Thanks Bill. I do remember him. You posted this on another thread not to long ago and I read over it. If I understand it correctly, I raise the ph in the CaRX- alk goes down, and increase the effluent rate- calcuim goes up. My biggest concern is that alk staying up. The calcuim needs to climb but it's atleast in the low side of being in range.

I've busted up several since garbage co. won't pick up or recycle. Last one was a 29 long, wasn't tempered so I took apart and saved the glass panels in case I ever want to build a sump.

Back