12 gallon Gankpike

andi.rahl

Market
Reaction score
SO I thought I had started a tank thread on ARC already, but I must not have published it....anyways, hi! A little backstory before I dive into this tank:

I lived in SW Florida up until about 5 years ago. While living there, I ran a 6 gallon Fluval edge, which then became a topless edge due to chipping the front left corner, that basically became a biotope since I had a shoreline fishing license. I wound up using sand (waded out into the water and pulled it up from there), rock, and water from a Naples beach (this was before said beach was polluted by runoff from Lake Okeechobee). I brought home a variety of macros that I'd find washed up after storms or just clumps of things floating in the water that I'd bring home in buckets and sort through, a couple purple fleshed gorgonians (it wound up being nps), snapping/pistol shrimp, a variety of small crabs, some bivalves, a sponge, and some mangroves that were leafing and sprouting roots. I freaking LOVED this tank. I didn't have much coral, but I had a lot of cool crap in there that sprung up from having almost every element being brought in from the beach. I sadly had to break it down in 2016 to move from Florida to Wisconsin, and I wasn't allowed to have even my 6 gallon aquarium so it eventually went to Goodwill. Fast forward to today....

I picked up this Gankpike 12 gallon tank! It's a bit weird that it's rounded in the front, but I like it since you're seeing one of the side views when you walk in the font door and you get the other side when you sit on the futon! I originally wanted the 8 gallon from the same brand, but they were out of stock on Amazon and on their site until like just yesterday. I've had my tank since the end of March and I started putting the basics in it April 2nd - happy birthday to me! 🥳 As of this posting, I have diatoms, but they've considerably lessened since just a few days ago.

If you're unfamiliar with the Gankpike brand/12gal tank:
10 gallon display
2 gallon back area
L: 20.3" x W: 10.6" x H: 14"
rounded glass, w/black acrylic between display and equipment

I've been running the stock equipment that came with it, and some of it kind of sucks. (April 2st to April 21, 2021)
What was included:
-Air pump (taking out once I get the filter in place, will use to mix water)
-Heater - 50w but might higher (kept)
-Protein skimmer (removed)
-Digital thermometer with c/f options (kept)
-Filter media that kind of just stacks in the center section? (temporarily kept, to be removed)
-Clip on led lamp with 3 lighting settings, a timer, and 5 intensity settings (temporarily kept, replacing)

My equipment (adding all by April 21, 2021):
-Hygger magnetic mini wave maker with controller (Gonna guess that I'll probably have to put it on a low setting for my size tank haha)
-Aquaclear 50 (will be a combo of filter+refugium)
-Acke 12w led light for refugium
-Black AI prime 16 HD with bendy arm (I hope this is a good light lol it says 24x24x24 my tank is 14 deep)
-Grounding probe

Starting livestock:
-18 out 20 pounds of aragonite live sand - not sure why I didn't just use the last 2 pounds
- 1.5inch sand bed
-18 pounds of live rock: 2 pieces from Petco, 1 piece from Premier Aquatics (PA piece has some sort of sps maybe monti?? and teeny tiny zoas on it!)
-Several small snails, possibly nassarius, too tiny to get pics of
-Tiny feather duster worms all over the bottom of the PA rock
-Yellow sponge near the top of the PA rock
-Small plug of xenia propped against the back wall in hopes that it'll grow up the back
-Little rock covered in unnamed zoas, only a handful kind of open, the rest stay closed. (Lighting issue, I think since they've been dipped twice now since I got em)
-I FORGOT TO BUY A CUC and I don't drive so taking a Lyft to Petco today (April 18, 2021)
-Small amount of chaeto, will be moved to filter/refugium April 19, 2021)

Pests**:
-bristle worms
-vermetid snails
-asterina starfish

Dosed with Dr. Tim's on April 5, 2021

We've got PODS! April 17, 2021 - I'm beyond stupidly excited about this for some reason. Don't laugh at me, please! haha

I think this is a good start! so I'm going to post for now and head to bed.

*linked items might be differently priced than when posted or what you might find in stores; linking so people can get a better idea of what I'm using. I'm not affiliated with Amazon.
**"pests" being subjective
***Yes, I like to write disclaimers :p

Attachments

• 173349831_10160897817285884_5845298099197497162_n.jpg
    173349831_10160897817285884_5845298099197497162_n.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 82
That's an interesting tank design! I love my ai prime light although the ui could be better. Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Added a small cuc, one of those large soft tubed feather worms, and a Duncan today. One of my nassarius decided to hang out on top of my magnetic glass cleaner while the others are in the sand. What a weirdo, I love him. I thought my diatoms were basically gone but I came back home to about the same as yesterday. Oops! 🤷‍♀️ I'm not really wanting to take close up pics right now 'cause it's ugly. I'm sure everyone understands haha

Diatoms are not as bad as I thought, on this side anyways.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1618807439770.jpg
    FB_IMG_1618807439770.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 66
How do I get the Duncan off of the plug without hurting it?

Attachments

• 20210418_222408.jpg
    20210418_222408.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 56
Ok, that is a very cool tank. I've never heard of them before but I might have to get one of those.

Ok, that is a very cool tank. I've never heard of them before but I might have to get one of those.
I accidentally found it while scrolling through tanks on Amazon! I prefer the boxiness of normal tanks and the 8 gallon would have fit that bill, but my impatience won out and I'm glad it did! It's such an interesting tank. I don't like the back chambers, to be honest, and I might cut the dividers out after work. It needs infinitely better filtration and I don't know how that's going to work with how it's divided. I'll be creating my hob refugium today after work. It'll still have filter media but also a bigger chamber for chaeto. It worked in my old tank so hopefully it will do the same in this. Just gotta figure out the back chambers situation.

I'm gonna have to take the black divider piece out because I can't get any help from the filter. Frustrated about that but my tank is getting messy just from my cuc waste. When I get my epoxy to finally glue my rock in place, I'll be half draining the tank anyways to do some things anyways. Annoyed that the tank didn't work out how I wanted it to but on the plus side I'll have more space for stuff on the sandbed?

Ahhh so I pulled the black acrylic divider and small glass dividers out of the back of the tank, only to discover that the acrylic was stuck on with black silicone... I will have to work on the removal another day because I am way too tired. I also tried to cement my scape in place and it didn't come out right/looks bad so I'll have to get it out and hack it apart and redo it. 😭😭😭 I'm afraid to scrape the silicone off but I know I can't leave it on. It looks horrible.

So I realised that never really kept this thread alive, which was unfortunate because my tank was pretty...at least up until it crashed a couple of weeks ago while I was out of town. I have spent weeks trying to get it back on track, but basically nothing survived. A few snails, a few hermits, that's it. I'm frankly devastated and will be searching for ways to get inexpensive softies to start up again - if anyone has any or any suggestions (I don't drive and don't have a lot of money to spare these days...) let me know. thanks.

and will be searching for ways to get inexpensive softies to start up again - if anyone has any or any suggestions (I don't drive and don't have a lot of money to spare these days...) let me know. thanks.
I'll give you some xenia, gsp, Kenya tree and a few yellow polyps. Can't do terribly big frags but a bit of everything and it grows quick but you'd need to come up to Cumming or 92@400.

Sorry that I didn't see this sooner! Unfortunately I only know my bestie and her roommate here, I don't have a way to get there, but I really appreciate the offer! Thank you very much.

Yall I literally can't win. I had set up a second smaller tank in my bedroom ages ago. I never put anything but rock, live sand, and Dr. Tim's in it. However when the other tank crashed, I moved the piece of rock I was keen to keep and the couple of barely surviving pieces of coral over into that tank. Now the mother fn thing has sprung a leak - thankfully it's just a relatively slow drip but it'll be annoying to deal with until my new tank arrives. Petco doesn't have any standard 5.5 gallon tanks in stock so I'm gonna try to get the rimless 5.5 one even though others have reported leaks 'cause I don't have the money right now to buy more live rock and sand to set up anything bigger and my original tank is just not in any shape to be set back up. I just got new coral from a forum member otherwise I'd just scrap the whole thing.

Back