Vertex RX-C 6D Calcium Reactor

schwaggs

Supporting
Reaction score
I restarted my system last March which is a 210 display and about 500 gallons total water volume. I have been using Kalk through my topoff as well as monthly 20% water changes for CA replenishment but lately it hasn't been keeping up. I decided I wanted to use a CA reactor again and instead of the DJ88 designed DIY CA reactor I have been using for 10+ years I decided to purchase a commercial CA reactor for the restart. I picked up a Vertex RX-C 6D during BRS's Black Friday sale and decided to set it up last night.

Their packaging is right out of the Apple playbook. Very impressive, high quality packaging and out of the box presentation. I didn't take pictures but there are several Youtube videos covering this if you are interested. Build quality and industrial design of the Vertex is incredible.

Setup instructions are very well done. The one drawback is there are very few pictures in the manual. I suggest you watch the BRS video before setting it up and if you do, you should have no issues. I placed the reactor above my horse trough sump area.

To feed the reactor, I tapped off my display return line which is providing more than enough pressure the way I have it setup. I did something unique in that I am running the tank water through a 20 micron paper filter before feeding the reactor. With my old setup, algae and/or detritus would plug up the needle valve requiring frequent clearing which I am hoping to avoid. I also decided to place the needle valve for flow adjustment right after the filter stage, BEFORE water enters the reactor. This is opposite what the instructions request and how you would typically setup a reactor (typically the needle valve is on the output of the reactor). My thought being is regulating clean water as opposed to the water leaving the reactor will result in less clogging of the needle valve especially since I plan on feeding at a slow drip, not at a quicker flow that might clog less. Another option would have been to use a peristaltic pump for feed but I didn't want to incur that expense at the moment.

The flow meter is very cool and works well in my setup. I haven't measured its accuracy but it looks to move relative to the flow. My indicator will not drop below 100ml/min even though there are marks for flow down to 30ml/min. There appears to be a plastic stop inside the meter that is stopping the gauge. I'm going to contact BRS to see why that is.

I installed a pH probe from my Apex expansion module in the included probe bladder in the main chamber's lid. If you do not wish to run a pH probe (not sure why you would even consider doing this), a plug is included.

I used ARM small media in the main reactor chamber and secondary chamber even though the introductions call for only coarse media. I've used small since starting using a CA Reactor 13 years ago and believe the extra surface area is better. I rinsed it well to remove the dust and floating debris that ARM seems to come with then scooped it into the reactor chambers. It didn't fall through the grate, isn't blowing around and seems to be flowing just fine. I used a little less that two 1 gallon containers of small ARM to fill both areas of the reactor. I left the 3rd chamber empty for now. I might pick up some magnesium media or use GFO in that area.

Startup was a BREEZE! Much easier than my DIY reactor. I basically opened the feed needle valve full open which started the filling process. The main chamber filled, then started filling the secondary chamber. Once both were full of water, I started the circulation pump and it just started circulating. No cavitation of the pump, no excess air to bleed off, it just started! Love this thing!

I ran the flow full open for a few minutes until the water in the reactor cleared (even though the media is rinsed, it sill ends up a bit cloudy). Then I adjusted the flow to a slow drip, probably 1 to 1.5 drops per second and let it run without CO2 all night to make sure the plumbing was good. Woke up this morning and the drip rate is just where I left it, no leaks!

So far, this has been the best aquarium equipment experience I have had!

Today I'll setup the CO2, take some pictures and provide an update.

Some pictures of the setup. I had to replace the solenoid valve on my ancient Milwaukee regulator. It must have received some feedback tank water and corroded. That regulator is my original from 13 years ago. I find the trick with them is to set the pressure low, like 5 lb/square inch. It Is rock solid on turning off and the needle valve rarely plugs. I don't think the solenoid can handle too much pressure.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

And a full tank shot of the new beginning!
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

Vertex makes great products , I'm sure your numbers will be rock solid before you know it. Nice tank by the way!

Thanks guys! I'm really happy with this reactor!

While we are discussing CA reactors, I thought I would share my CA reactor Apex programming.

I have the solenoid valve plugged into one of the relay outlets on an EB8. I had problems with the solenoid not turning off when I used a non-relay outlet.

I have the pH probe installed in the reactor connected to a PM1 expansion module.

The program running the solenoid is fairly simple:

Fallback OFF
If pH_CA &gt; 7.30 Then ON
If pH_CA &lt; 7.00 Then OFF
If pH &lt; 7.8 Then OFF
Defer 000:30 Then ON

Fallback OFF - turns the solenoid off if the EB8 ever gets disconnected from the main controller
If pH_CA &gt; 7.30 Then ON - these commands keep the pH in the reactor between a pH of 7 and 7.3
If pH_CA &lt; 7.00 Then OFF
If pH &lt; 7.8 Then OFF - fail-safe to turn off the reactor CO2 if something is causing the main tank pH to drop too low
Defer 000:30 Then ON - prevents the solenoid from turning on and off too rapidly

I also have this program on a virtual outlet to trigger the alarm when the pH in the CA reactor is out of normal range.

Set OFF
If pH_CA &gt; 7.50 Then ON
If pH_CA &lt; 6.75 Then ON

Finally, I have this program on a virtual outlet to trigger when the CO2 solenoid does not turn on for a period of time. This is primarily caused by the water flow through the reactor slowing when the needle valve gets plugged.

Set ON
If Outlet CA_CO2 = ON Then OFF
Defer 120:00 Then ON

Back