Holiday Party Suggestions

FutureInterest

Market
Reaction score
So, we've been getting quotes for the holiday party and I thought I had a good idea of what I wanted us to do... At the last expo planning meeting though, I was looking to get some feedback and received very good suggestions. So I've changed my preference but I also thought it would be worthwhile to just open this up for conversation and look to get feedback from our membership on what they would like to see done. If you have any other ideas or comments/suggestions please let us know!

Keep in mind that we will do gift cards and some cool prizes wherever we go. The more cost effective an event is though the more we can put towards gift cards/raffles/prizes. We have quotes from various places but here are a few of the ideas we've been bandying about thus far:
  • Somewhere cost effective - Golden Corral, A chinese buffet, Bucketshop Cafe etc. There would be no charge to supporting members and they could bring immediate family as well. We can funnel more funds to gift cards and raffle items by going this route as well. Sean and Nathan have both suggested it and Shawn has graciously offered up the Bucketshop for us as well which is a great restaurant and potentially even do food at cost for us... wow! This is one that I'm personally leaning towards at this time.
  • Georgia Aquarium - The room would seat 110 or so. This one is pricey but possible. Supporting members would have to pay 30-35 and non-supporting would have to pay 140. Yes its pricey. It makes more sense to just sign up for supporting membership if you are bringing a plus 1. Although the money goes to a good non-profit I'm still leary of dumping that much into this. Perhaps next year... which will be ARC's 20th anniversary we could aim to do something more extravagant.
  • Fogo de chao - We would do a room that could seat 60. It would be for a brunch on a weekend from 11:30-2. Supporting members would have to pay a nominal amount like 10 per person for reservation. Those that are non-supporting could join but would pay 45. So it makes sense to again have any plus 1 sign up for membership. You'd get more chances for raffle items and prizes as well as those are always just for supporting members. This is kind of in between the two above options as would other decent venues.
So let us know what you think by posting here or as always feel free to PM me.

Thanks,
Jin

What is an approximate date range to expect? This may affect people’s choices.

My vote is for somewhere affordable (the first category), but still delicious. While my wife and I love the food at Fogo, both of us had bad aftertastes and upset stomachs the last couple times there... despite the food and atmosphere being amazing. We would still go, but our first choice would be a more affordable location.

Or new idea; maybe we could even do an event space like a bowling alley, laser tag, whirleyball. Of those, bowling would likely still be in the affordable category.

And I support holding on GA Aquarium for our 20th anniversary!

Good point. We're looking at the first few weekends of December.

I like the idea of doing something somewhere fun in conjunction with dining and giving out holiday prizes.

Personally I'd rather see the event location more affordable with more raffle items this year. It seems to be an easier route but I do really, really like the idea of something at the GA Aquarium. My biggest concern at this point would be putting it together with the time we have.

I like the Affordable options or something like Main Event or Bowling. For next year I think the Georgia Aquarium is a great idea. I agree with @jcook54 it might be difficult putting it together for this year. What is the typical turnout for the holiday party?

I believe I recall hearing a normal Holiday turnout as around 35-40. And as mentioned above, that we would want at least a 100 for a GA Aquarium event.

(Please correct me if that is wrong)

Save the Aquarium for next year which gives plenty of time to arrange for the 20th! Something affordable for everyone would be great!

I like the Affordable options or something like Main Event or Bowling. For next year I think the Georgia Aquarium is a great idea. I agree with @jcook54 it might be difficult putting it together for this year. What is the typical turnout for the holiday party?
Last year - 42 forum members officially checked in. Quite a few bring a SO / family members and many of those are not forum members. More than likely a few check-ins were missed as well.

Top Golf is fairly affordable - I've brought my team from work there in the past and can do a fairly nice (small) event for under $50 per person - including play & food - no alcohol.

Yes I believe we had around 100 counting kids and significant others. Adam could confirm if he has a copy of the billing.

At least 100. The only downside is that we’re 18+ all the time. So long as there isn’t an Auburn game then Saturday’s in December should be fine. I’m waiting for confirmation from my owner that it’s okay to do our party here. I’ll stay in touch.

Meh - I could waive the 18+ for a event like this. So. Auburn's last game is 12.7. Bowl Games start on 12.20. On Sundays, we're a Carolina Panthers venue. So Sundays are a no-go as they're playing all through December. So our only real day to host it here at The Bucket Shop Cafe is Saturday, December 14th.

Meh - I could waive the 18+ for a event like this. So. Auburn's last game is 12.7. Bowl Games start on 12.20. On Sundays, we're a Carolina Panthers venue. So Sundays are a no-go as they're playing all through December. So our only real day to host it here at The Bucket Shop Cafe is Saturday, December 14th.
One day after my birthday! :)

Back