Green color morph of red macroalgae

chaples55

Supporting
Reaction score
A couple months ago, a green tip started growing on my red macro. I didn't think much of it at first. Maybe it was just some unhealthy growth or it had been exposed to air too long. But the green portion just kept growing, and it's definitely healthy! Aside from the color it looks identical to the rest of the macroalgae. It's even still attached to the rest of this red clump. You can see the 'junction' is old growth with some coralline algae on it.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Did I just witness a genetic mutation? I'll definitely save this and keep growing it out. Gonna try to keep the red and green together but I'm sure it'll break off eventually. Curious to see what happens from there.

Attachments

• IMG_20231030_004746.jpg
    IMG_20231030_004746.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20231030_004807.jpg
    IMG_20231030_004807.jpg
    474.8 KB · Views: 29
That's so fascinating! It's like variegation in normal plants, where a section of the plant stops producing red pigments for unknown reasons. I recall that a lot of Gracilarias' good proteins are tied to the red pigments, so I wonder if this greened out version even has any of them.

My nitrates were at 0 and phosphates 0.4 when this started. I've since started dosing KNO3, and now my nitrates are around 20 and phosphates down to 0.04. Aside from the red maybe getting a little darker I haven't noticed any other changes. I also dose Tropic Marin trace elements so I assume there's some iron in there.

Interesting thought on the pigments/proteins. Might have to do some reading on what causes variegation in plants.

I just shared a small piece of the green macro with another member, very curious to see if it stays green and survives on its own!

Back