Brown Jelly or sponge

1mbrews8

Market
Reaction score
ABD784F9-C1D6-4B75-9B55-867C1B356439.jpegNot the greatest pictures, but lights are not fully on. This has been bugging me for a little while. Is this brown jelly on the head of the Duncan or sponge like is on the rest of it?

Basically same color as sponge, but it is on a head, but there are smaller, newer, Duncan heads growing there and the “brown jelly”, if it ishat, doesn’t seem to be getting any bigger?

I’d really hate to take it out and try dipping it since it’s relatively big.

Could cut off that piece just to be sure I guess?

thoughts?

25E53DD9-5219-4D3B-B074-67D535ECD3B6.jpeg

My guess would be sponge. It doesnt appear to be killing the head, just annoying it. Brown jelly would just take the whole head and fast. It also appears to be growing down the skeleton which brown jelly wont do.

Im gonna go with the old "poke it with a stick" to verify.

My guess would be sponge. It doesnt appear to be killing the head, just annoying it. Brown jelly would just take the whole head and fast. It also appears to be growing down the skeleton which brown jelly wont do.

Im gonna go with the old "poke it with a stick" to verify.
yeah, I tried not to kill the sponge and all when I got it since = good... it's growing along my sandbed and everything lol! not sure it that is a good thing..

Just hit it with a tooth brush to keep it "pruned" away from the heads if you want to keep it. Maybe even peal some off and relocate it.

Just hit it with a tooth brush to keep it "pruned" away from the heads if you want to keep it. Maybe even peal some off and relocate it.
but then worried about the horror stories of the stuff spreading if that is what is is?

Trying to avoid taking it out, but not sure if it ever lays "dormant" for a while then gets going if that is what it is?

If its brown jelly you will want to suck it out. It will blow off just as easy as cyano so you dont remove the coral just siphon the head off. If the stuff is still there its sponge. If not remove the coral, snap that head off and give it a dip.

If its sponge, you can always remove the coral and scrub in a bucket, or let them battle it out and see who wins.

Personally if it shows to be evasive enough to take out a coral head, Id remove it and scrub all of the sponge off.

Back