Cynarina lacrymalis breeding project & study

Quick photo dump, all corals are recovering from the mini crash in my main tank, where the CUC can handle my generous feeding every night.
IMG_0708.JPG

We've had our second casualty, this time it's Fritter. Something ate her from the middle out, and no matter how hard she tried, she just couldn't regrow her mouth. It happened during a vacation in April, so I didn't catch the culprit, though I suspect it could have just been shock from moving.
IMG_0709.JPG
She will be dearly missed. Her and Dayglo are my absolute favorites, ironically both of them are/were C. macassarensis, which is the wrong species. Dayglo herself isn't looking better, restricted to a tiny ring of flesh around the central cavity of her skeleton. Still alive, just not loving it. I noticed today that she's regained some turf, so I've not lost hope.

IMG_0710.JPG
Other than that, I took in another sick Cynarina, this one is Celery. she's been inflating really well every day, except of course for photo day...

IMG_0711.JPG
This one is Iceberg, with her adopted children Gooseberry (left) and Thimble (right). I'll get back to that later.

IMG_0715.JPG
To the left is Cobbler, right is Doom. Peeking from the top is Cola, who has 100% recovered, and from below is Angie, who was never sick.

IMG_0713.JPG
And then there's this girl. Still don't have a good name, perhaps Medusa. Still kicking, however some hair algae has landed between her polyps, preventing her from opening all the way.

IMG_0714.JPG
And everyone's favorite, Big Pickle. She's slowly regaining her former glory, but is no longer sick which makes me more than happy.

Celery, Doom and Iceberg were acquisitions from The Aquatic Expo in NC a couple weeks ago, purchased for a microbiome swap experiment. Suffice to say, the three sick Cynarina that I exposed to the new ones (cola, Gooseberry and Thimble) all rebounded within a week, supporting my theory.

Doom was a purchase fromRiptide Aquaculture.
Celery and Iceberg were bought from Oceanic Gardens for a very reasonable price (220 for both!).

My multi-species theory has also begun developing a bit more. I've noticed three distinct 'genotypes' with my corals:

1-Many rows of vesicles, wrinkly, prefers laying out on the sand. large, rough oral discs (often of a different color). Tight, short septa and skeletons that come to a point. This type follows the description of Cynarina (=Indophyllia) macassarensis.
(Cola, Dayglo, Thimble, {Fritter RIP})

2- double or triple rows of long, irregular vesicles, no wrinkles, boomerang or figure eight shaped polyp. Large, slightly grooved oral discs. Large, tightly packed septa. Skeleton comes to a straight point, as opposed to a rounded point. This type slimes excessively when disturbed, unlike my others.
(Big Pickle, Iceberg)

3-Single or double rows of large, uniform vesicles, which are all translucent. Smal, smooth oral disc. Large, thick, sparse septa. Skeleton comes to no obvious point, almost always attached to coral rubble. This type is true Cynarina lacrymalis.
(Angie, Cobbler, Doom, Gooseberry, Medusa)

So we have three 'species' at play here. Two of which are formally described, one of which is not. I'm going to refer to type 2 as Cynarina f. "slimer". Perhaps we can get a formal description some day.
The goal of this project is to spawn Cynarina lacrymalis, which means the non-lacrymalis specimens will be left out of the project. They will stay in my possession, of course, but the last thing I want is hybrid spawn.

IMG_0729.JPG
The tank is ugly right now, but it's stable again. I need to do some serious work on it, as I did the whole drain system wrong. This process will be filmed for Youtube.
I plan to get a young rabbitfish for the tank, which will be moved to the main display when it gets too big. I need to adjust the spectrum and photoperiod very badly, however the controller for my Noopsyche died and I can't find the charger... Might have to get a different light if I end up unable to edit it.

On my to-do list:

Swap overflow
Add Kreisel or similar larval collection tank in-line with overflow
Work on better controllability

Thanks for tuning in, it's a huge blessing to be able to share this with my local reefers.

Last edited:
Here's my predicament:
Current overflow is just a hole in the back wall with a grate to catch algae. It's loud and not modifiable.
My goal is to install an overflow box on the right side of the tank that can flow directly into the larval rearing tank, then to the sump.nelatanka.png

Peristaltic pumps look the most promising for a pip-safe system, it would do minimal damage to escapee larvae or eggs that fall through the grates. I hadn't thought of that yet, thank you.
Just realized my last update failed to post, I'll have to get that put together.

Peristaltic pumps look the most promising for a pip-safe system, it would do minimal damage to escapee larvae or eggs that fall through the grates. I hadn't thought of that yet, thank you.
Just realized my last update failed to post, I'll have to get that put together.

I might have stolen the idea from Reef Beef but you're welcome! :)

If you do go that route make sure you get one rated for continuous operation.

I might have stolen the idea from Reef Beef but you're welcome! :)

If you do go that route make sure you get one rated for continuous operation.
Lol no shame in imitating the experts. I wish I had time to listen to reef beef, Rich Ross has so much good information about this stuff.

Back