Cynarina lacrymalis breeding project & study

Update time.
The tank is doing really well! Algae has just about disappeared from the tank, and the sand is ack to it's crisp white state. I forgot how destructive turbo snails were! They've knocked my corals over more times than I can count. For now, I'm just going to leave them be, since the corals don't mind and it actually looks very nice with the polyps all pressed together.
IMG_0160.JPG IMG_0161.JPG IMG_0162.JPG
I'm beginning to raise temps and increase photoperiods now, the last increase will be in mid June when I get it up to 15 hrs per day @ 78 degrees.
I've noticed something very interesting over the past month. It appears that each polyp has gained a certain amount of a white pigment appearing on each polyp. The corals also seem to be less transparent in color, which is interesting. I assume that it's some sort of defense against higher light levels, so I'm curious to see if these white pigments diminish when I begin dimming the lights this autumn. So many things to learn about these animals! Hopefully I'll be able to decode some of it.
PS, I'm about to begin working on a timelapse feeding video that I'll share here in the next couple of weeks, I'll link it here for anyone interested.

Jikkerman -

have you given any thought to what kind of nutrition exists around the time that these guys spawn? Does the water and temps coincide with an excess in phytoplankton production or even and type of particulate foods that should or could be in the water column when these are spawning? I'm curious if a trigger is possibly things like "nights" followed by new moon etc the way that the guy spawning acros in captivity did it.

Jikkerman -

have you given any thought to what kind of nutrition exists around the time that these guys spawn? Does the water and temps coincide with an excess in phytoplankton production or even and type of particulate foods that should or could be in the water column when these are spawning? I'm curious if a trigger is possibly things like "nights" followed by new moon etc the way that the guy spawning acros in captivity did it.
I haven't thought of that! I guess I could try to find some plankton cycle charts for the area, perhaps they'll coincide. I have a feeling that temps will be the most important factor for these guys, since they are found deeper in the water/on reef cliffs where they don't have much direct light. I do still want to set up a lunar cycle for the tank, but for now I don't have the equipment to do it. I haven't found any lunar lights besides ones that need an Apex, so I will probably have to program some myself. Which I don't know how to do lol

Last edited:
A pretty shot from the tank. It looks like the red flat one is getting some yellow tints on the bubbles! It may develop into something really interesting down the road.
IMG_0209 (2).JPG

Updatorino Timorelli!

The frag swap on Saturday was a total hit, I had a blast and was even able to sell some artwork, which was really nice. In addition, I picked up a giant green Cynarina from @TRSCAQUATICS that is now settling in. And I'll tell you, she is massive! After only two days, she's opened up the same size as my two biggest ones. Hoping for some good genes from her, she's got a lot of weird hues and secondary fluorescents going on that I can't wait to see pop!
IMG_0235 (2).JPG
In other news, four of the corals somehow grouped together like this in the valley! Not sure if snails were pushing them around or if they are doing it on their own, but I guess we'll see as I moved them all back to their spots.
IMG_0236 (2).JPG
The maroon one is just jiving in the corner for now, however he has company! Somehow, aiptasia got into the tank and have moved in around it's mantle. Luckily, I've seen some ads for Berghias in the sale forum so I may get a couple to take care of them.
IMG_0237 (2).JPGIMG_0238 (2).JPG
Today also marks this system's first ever water change! I went ahead and siphoned out as much detritus as I could get, but I forgot I needed the water for another tank so big fail there. I'll have to get some more next week.
In final news, my main tank is at a point where I can begin putting my hammers and nems back in. The tank will be a cynarina-only tank once again.

how big are yours on average? I’ve got my first one coming next week with an acantho and trying to find out how much room I need to give them

We're officially on month 11 of the project, can I get a whoop. Unfortunately, I do not expect eggs this year. Let me explain.
It all began in April of 2022, when I purchased my initial broodstock pieces at the Aquatic Expo. My lack of thought lead to me putting the corals in the tank right away, which would normally be just fine. However, one of the animals had an Aiptasia stowing away on the base, and soon after the tank became infested with aiptasia anemones. Normally I'd just get a peppermint shrimp for this, however the aips were in the pipes and in my pumps, so no amount of biological weaponry would stop them.
Fast forward to September, and here's the dilemma. If I kept on going with my temperature and photoperiod cycles, there's no way I could prevent the remaining Aiptasia from spawning as well, and the aip pips would no doubt overcome the Cynarina pips! So I decided to halt my seasonal swings and await the proper time to dismantle the tank and start over. In November discouragement took root, I started getting lazy, all the good things, and I eventually shelved the project for a few months, moving the Cynarina into my other nano tank for the time being while I waited for the right time to re-run their tank.
In that nano, in which a Fungia had begun dying a few weeks prior, all five of my remaining animals contracted some sort of wasting disease, which particularly affected my two smallest and the largest one. Another 3 months of me not paying attention and here we are, back at square -1.
IMG_0505.JPGIMG_0506.JPGIMG_0507.JPG
As of last night, I have started treating all five (and an LTA) with a medium dose of Ciprofloxacin, which I will maintain over the next week or until the dears are looking better. In the meantime, I will be photographing their progress and filming the process of the tank reset on the main system.
IMG_0499.JPG
Tank is set up beside my Pinguicula propagation tank.

Now comes the fun part, making a new plan.
_I'm going to install a proper krisel in-between the tank and sump to collect eggs as they flow through the system. I forgot to plan for this in the initial build.
-The center baffle in the sump also collapsed, rendering it pretty much useless until I can repair it. I have no room for a grow out area anymore so tweaks will have to be made.
-A light with better controllability will be needed, so I'm going to be swapping my Noopsyche to another tank and replacing it with an old AI Sol. This can be tweaked and reprogrammed far easier.
-I will be considering flow direction in addition to lighting and temperature to further mimic seasonal currents.
-Current rock and sand will be replaced with new dry rock & barebottom to keep the tank cleaner.
-Biological filtration in the way of filter feeding organisms will be employed to a greater degree.
IMG_0509.JPGIMG_0510.JPG
I've experimented with using filter feeders to collect waste.

So thank y'all for sticking around so long. Though I may not get pips this year, I will hopefully have the framework ready for them by next spring. Expect great things in the coming year.
Have a wonderful day and God bless.

Attachments

• IMG_0500.JPG
    IMG_0500.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0501.JPG
    IMG_0501.JPG
    207.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0502.JPG
    IMG_0502.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 5
how big are yours on average? I’ve got my first one coming next week with an acantho and trying to find out how much room I need to give them
On average, a happy Cynarina will have extend outwards 1" per 1/4" of skeleton, so m for example my 5" Cynarina all have 1" skeletons. This isn't totally universal though, as mine have also expanded to over 7" on the past with no prompting. I would say give it a good 3" perimeter to keep it safe from other corals falling on it. They can co-habitate with Acanthos, so it's safe to keep them closer, however your Cynarina will appreciate being in a rock cradle as opposed to on the sand.

Day three of Cipro, and things are looking wonderful. Far less exposed mesentaries, and far more expansion. No more gaping mouths either.
IMG_0520.JPGIMG_0521.JPGIMG_0522.JPG
This morning, each coral was encased in a sheath of greying slime, which appears to be leftovers of whatever pathogen was taking them down. I attempted to take some microscope footage of the mucous, linked below.

Cynarina Lacrymalis microbiome (Microscope footage) - YouTube

For a transcription, it appears that there is some sort of dinoflagellate in the slime, which I suspect to be dead, as it is present in the stomachs of almost every creature I found in the slime sample. Notable ones are a larval spaghetti worm, a tardigrade (not filmed), several small flatworms (not filmed), and thousands of nematodes (not filmed) and what I expect to be rotifers. Coral microbiology is absolutely nuts.

I'm preparing to film the tank teardown this week, so I suppose stay tuned.

Day four, everyone looking better than ever! More expansion, less slime, tightly shut mouths, and almost no exposed mesentaries. The corals who had exposed skeleton are now re-inflating around those regions. The only one I'm worried about is my smallest one, which I've started calling Dayglow. She's almost totally retracted still, though this morning she did shed a big sheath of slime & now has a couple vesicles inflated. I supposed we'll see how she fares.IMG_0530.JPG
For fun, I've named them all for easier ID: Left to right, Cola, Angie, Fritter, Dayglow, Big Pickle.
IMG_0531.JPG
Cola looking much better today.
IMG_0532.JPG
Big Pickle almost filling her container!

Day 5, everyone looking better except Dayglow. She was the farthest gone when I started, so I'm not too surprised. Fingers crossed that she pulls through, she's one of a kind.
(Quick aside for any moderators, I would like to request an image size editor when importing an image into the text box. Choosing between edge-to-edge filling or a tiny thumbnail is a bit limiting.)
IMG_0542.JPGIMG_0544.JPGIMG_0545.JPGIMG_0546.JPG

No update today, my MicroSD decided to fry itself. Attempted to shoot some video twice now and the card glitches every time I put it into my PC.

Update, day 11. almost done with the whole Cipro cycle, about to get the main tank gutted and cleaned.
Saturday was the frag swap, and I came with the intentions of trading some stuff between members and saying hi. Of course, I ended getting four more new Cynarina for the project! Two are more typical brown specimens, one is a cherry red one with glass-clear vesicles, and the fourth one is a coveted four headed specimen! Nothing too fancy color-wise, though she has some wonderful leopard spots. I went ahead and threw these into the Cipro tank to clear out anything they may have been carrying. Thanks @TRSCAQUATICS for bringing Cynarina to a local swap, you've made my life a lot easier.

Cola and Dayglow are looking better than ever today. Dayglow's mouth is starting to shut and she's finally inflating, and Cola is almost totally healed over her exposed skeleton!
Makes me happy to be able to do this, whether or not I make a living from it. It's such an amazing reward to know you brought something back from the brink of death to live another day.IMG_0611.JPGIMG_0612.JPGIMG_0613.JPGIMG_0615.JPG

Quick, pictureless update.
I can't seem to catch a break with this tank. After medicating the corals for a month and deep cleaning/hard resetting their system, everyone looked great for a while until a massive bloom of hair algae took root. It's incredibly weakly rooted, but it grows fast and was clearly irritating some of the corals. After this, Dayglow, Fritter and Cola, as well as one of the new ones I'm calling Thimble, have started going downhill. Seriously downhill. They went from full color, puffy with tightly closed mouths to a thin layer of ripped flesh stretched over a skeleton. I think the long Cipro treatment was unwise, I fear it actually hurt their microbiomes and immune systems beyond what I can repair.
So my plan of action is to do Flux to wipe out the algae, do a massive water change to replace whatever is irritating them, and to get another Cynarina or two to transplant slime (and hopefully good bacteria) to my sick corals. I'm going to start amino soaking their foods & feeding them whole animal food (krill) to include the gut and bacteria within, to hopefully give them an edge back.
I'll be at The Aquatic Expo this weekend in NC, so I will bring home some more Cynarinas to add to the project and update from there. I will also get a new SD card and card reader for my new PC so I can share pictures again.

Thank you all for tuning in! This project has been a mess, but I've learned enough through it that I'm confident I'll get a spawn next spring.
have a wonderful day and God bless.

Back