Marks on clownfish

chibils

Supporting
Reaction score
Hello everyone. My clownfish have recently (last 2w or so) developed some marks on their head regions. So far they seem confined to the white stripe just behind the eyes but I’m concerned. At first I chalked it up to abrasion from constantly swimming around, wiggling on, and fanning their eggs, which they laid on a rock after a spawning attempt about 2w ago, because I figured they might be scraping themselves on the rock. The spots are getting worse though. Sorry for the terrible pics. It’s hard to get a good shot of two moving fish with an iPhone. The marks are irregular in shape and look to be slightly indented. Does anyone know what to make of this? They are the only fish in the tank at the moment.IMG_0115.jpegIMG_0118.jpegIMG_0120.jpegIMG_0124.jpeg

The best person I know for stuff like this would be @Adam You may also want to check out Humblefish's website. That's a mainstay for all thing fish related in my opinion. I wish I could help and hopefully you can come up with some answers soon. I know I hate the not knowing.

It does kinda look like abrasions. With no other fish in the system and them being in there alive long enough to spawn you can pretty much rule out most of the bad stuff because they'd be dead by now. Brook looks like the fish is covered in snot and Uronema doesn't usually show up in front of the gills but in the mid-body section. Both of those kill in much less than two weeks.

Makes me wonder if the fish scraped themselves fanning the eggs and keep making it worse. Or if the abrasions got infected.
I would still post up the last two pics on Humblefish's site for better clarification.

That's exactly what I forgot to mention!

"With no other fish in the system and them being in there alive long enough to spawn you can pretty much rule out most of the bad stuff because they'd be dead by now. Brook looks like the fish is covered in snot and Uronema doesn't usually show up in front of the gills but in the mid-body section. Both of those kill in much less than two weeks."

Long story short, the bad still kills pretty quickly and keeps on killing. So, my guess is whatever is going on is not a 911 level infection.

The spots did end up healing with time. It was after their first batch of eggs, so I do think it was simply abrasion from fanning them.

Back