Vermatid Snails

Patrick.Barnett

Supporting
Reaction score
Greetings, all, I am standing up a new tank, and purchased some used base rock recently. One would think the prior owners were trying to breed vermatid snails by the sheer volume of their tubes on this rock. Surfaces and crevices alike are covered. The rocks are all in a 10% bleach solution, but I am nervous even that may not kill them. Does anyone have direct experience with bleaching rock and successfully eliminating the vermin heads? I know the tubes will not dissolve, but just wondering how tough they really are.

You know, I think bleach will do it. I honestly never considered that it might not work. How long are you bleaching? Usually when I think about bleaching old rock, it's a day or two in bleach and then freshwater rinses. The whole process can take a week or more (if your like me).

I was going to bleach 7 days. I mean… those things are like roaches. Just do to own if they can seal off and stay alive for years 😭. And I personally can’t stand them.

I did 7 days in bleach, and 12 hours in an acid bath.

Id also run the system with bleach, suckers can hide in the pipes.

giphy.gif

Anyone got tips for how to remove them from a reef aside from manual removal and bumblebee snails? I've never seen my bumblebee snails actually go after any.

Acid only eats the top layer of rock off, the part that has new growth that is usually bound with phosphate when dealing with older tanks. You can also vary the amount of acid and time in the bath to suit your needs.

There is no way to get rid of them aside from going nuclear. Bumblebee snails might slow them down, but confirming they actually eat them is a grey area.

A regular dosing of diy coral snow has my numbers all but gone. I didn't spend a lot of time a couple weeks ago but couldn't find any although I'm sure they are still there..just not many. I had a ton before. I don't know if it rids particulates enough to starve them or what. They didn't harm anything before but were just unsightly. And yes..bumblebee snails do eat them..I've seen video. But the rate at which they eat them in any significant number is up in the air.

A regular dosing of diy coral snow has my numbers all but gone. I didn't spend a lot of time a couple weeks ago but couldn't find any although I'm sure they are still there..just not many. I had a ton before. I don't know if it rids particulates enough to starve them or what. They didn't harm anything before but were just unsightly. And yes..bumblebee snails do eat them..I've seen video. But the rate at which they eat them in any significant number is up in the air.
Good to know in case of any future outbreaks. I’m still probably not going to introduce into a tank and will start with fresh rock. Fire sale for anyone who wants about 60+ pounds of decent base rock… covered with Vermatids but now bleached for 7 days 😂

Good to know in case of any future outbreaks. I’m still probably not going to introduce into a tank and will start with fresh rock. Fire sale for anyone who wants about 60+ pounds of decent base rock… covered with Vermatids but now bleached for 7 days
Id take it

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

Whats your DIY mix? Ill try it out in the QT tank right now!

10 tablespoons of calcium carbonate and 475 ml rodi

Shake let sit for two hours then shake before each use

I use about 20 ml in a 125 gallon tank.

Here's a link.

Sourced from R2R

Good to know in case of any future outbreaks. I’m still probably not going to introduce into a tank and will start with fresh rock. Fire sale for anyone who wants about 60+ pounds of decent base rock… covered with Vermatids but now bleached for 7 days 😂
They are all but inevitable. It's not even anything I worry about really. I don't know how long it took for the numbers to plummet. It was like having berghia..one day a couple months or so later and you say "hey...wait a minute....where's the aptasia". I never would have correlated the snow helping with Vermitids but others have taken note of it in their tanks.

Back