Cynarina lacrymalis breeding project & study

Jikkermanccini

Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
Hello there. This thread will be documenting a research/passion project that I have been developing for the past year or so, involving the coral Cynarina* lacrymalis.
All of my spawning data is collected from this one research paper from the 90's, so I've not got much to work on besides egg size, count, & spawning periods. Thus, the first year or so of this project will be observation and testing, after which I will attach a kriesel to the display to catch eggs come next spring.
The setup in question will be a 40g long maintained at 73f most of the year, spiking up to 76-77f in the late spring to coincide with spawning release dates. I plan to test out a variety of different foods to see if there is any noticeable difference across egg quality & count.
This is a 100% personally-funded project. I planned to use money from the frag swap, but since I was unable to attend I will make due with what I have. if any vendors or importers would be willing to partner with me, I would be eternally grateful as my current budget limits me to brown and green specimens which, while beautiful, will most likely produce offspring of the same color. But who knows, this is the first time anyone's attempted this as far as I know. After success (or just completion) of this project, I hope to move on to Cynarina macassariensis (=Indophyllia) or Acanthophyllia deshayesiana, whichever works out best.

This thread may go stagnant from time to time, but rest assured something will always be happening behind the scenes. If I'm successful, then I may be bringing captive-bred Cynarina to future 2023-2024 frag swaps!
Thanks for tuning in and following along! Have a nice day and God bless.

*Pronounced KIN-uh-REE-nuh, after the Latin Kinara, or artichoke. Cynarina = artichoke-like.

I have two immediate thoughts: First, that's awesome that you're doing this. Second, thank a ton for putting the pronunciation for Cynarina at the bottom. I would have pronounced it wrong 10 out of 10 times otherwise.

Post up some of the frags you made for the last event in the sales thread. I'd be happy to pay top dollar to contribute to this project of yours. I think it's pretty cool.

I have two immediate thoughts: First, that's awesome that you're doing this. Second, thank a ton for putting the pronunciation for Cynarina at the bottom. I would have pronounced it wrong 10 out of 10 times otherwise.

Post up some of the frags you made for the last event in the sales thread. I'd be happy to pay top dollar to contribute to this project of yours. I think it's pretty cool.
This means a lot, thanks! it took me a while to discover the pronunciation for myself, it's not very obvious xD

I'll do that then! I really appreciate the interest and the support. I'll keep the thread updated often to make it worth your money xD

I'd be really curious to see your setup for this. I think it's great from a reefing standpoint and when it comes to research, our very own @ActiveAngel does a whole bunch for his graduate program at GA Tech.

I'd be really curious to see your setup for this. I think it's great from a reefing standpoint and when it comes to research, our very own @ActiveAngel does a whole bunch for his graduate program at GA Tech.
As of right now, none of it is set up yet! I need to build a stand this weekend to put the tank on, and then I'm good to go. I'm hoping that this project can help me get into Tech, that's one of my major goals! Cool to hear that some others here go, my oldest brother graduated a few years ago as an electrical engineer. I visited him at campus once and I fell in love lol

Awesome! Best of luck with your research!!!

Id love to get into Acanthophylia breeding... but i have too much going on atm to take on such a big project.. Keep us updated!

I found some resources for sun, moon, and temperature cycles for the region I plan to base this aquarium off of. Interestingly, places such as the GBR and Palau have a double fluctuating temp/day length (small drop in summer, leading to a 'double rise') while the Red Sea only has one right at the height of summer. This coincides with my findings that Cynarina begin oogenesis in sept-oct, when the temps drop, and release the eggs in april-may, when the temps rise.
Red sea, Egypt - Average Annual Weather - Holiday Weather (holiday-weather.com)
Sunrise and sunset times in Red Sea Governorate (timeanddate.com)
Here's the original paper I forgot to add to the first post:

Awesome! Best of luck with your research!!!

Id love to get into Acanthophylia breeding... but i have too much going on atm to take on such a big project.. Keep us updated!
That's my dream goal! If I can manage more space, and if this experiment is successful, then Acanthophyllia is next on my list. They get so big that I'd need a lot more room for the broodstock, but it's definitely on the horizon.

That's my dream goal! If I can manage more space, and if this experiment is successful, then Acanthophyllia is next on my list. They get so big that I'd need a lot more room for the broodstock, but it's definitely on the horizon.
Yeah, up in Chicago we had a ~16" one. Absolutely massive.

An update, I can't build the stand until the 26th, so for the time being I'll have to store broodstock in my 24g frogfish tank. Not an issue, as it runs at the temp I plan to run the brood tank at. MACNA can't come soon enough!

Built the stand and put it in place! I painted the interior with FlexSeal to protect against humidity. The tank will be drilled & put in place today, and I'll build the sump tomorrow. Getting closer by the day!IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0042.JPG

The whole system is together! I haven't installed the light yet, but I do have it ready. I've started making water & hope to get it partly full by tomorrow, when I'm going to go ahead and buy the rest of the water I need. I'll also go ahead and get some rock and sand tomorrow, since I don't want to transplant flatworms & bryopsis to yet another tank!
Super excited for the aquatic expo! The tank won't be ready by Sunday, so I'll have to put my broodstock in my other tanks for a couple of weeks, but it's getting there. I really hope I can keep up with the Red Sea biotope, it'll be difficult to find CUC from the region but I'll try my best.
IMG_0070 (2).JPG

The first polyp has officially been purchased for the project, a 7" monster who will probably be the primary egg producer for a while.IMG_0078 (2).JPG
IMG_0080 (2).JPG

I also purchased a Sicce Voyager 4000(?) and a Flipper magnet cleaner, but as things would go I forgot to get rock & sand (which is why I went to the store!) so I'm about to head back and pick those up.
In other news, if this wicked orange polyp is still at the shop next week (when I'll be picking up a radiant from them) then I'm going to have to pounce on it.
IMG_0079 (2).JPG
I'm pumped for the show tomorrow! I hope I can find some weirdo, oddball pieces there.

Wow, that was amazing. I just finished dripping everything from the show, and I couldn't care less about updating the thread, but this is school so here we go.
I had some of the most fun I've ever had today. I ended up staying the whole time, which was amazing, and met some really amazing people! Jake Adams, Mark Van Der Wal, Felicia McCauley, Marc Levenson, and many more local reefers who I hope I will form lasting relationships with. I ALSO found some really unique genetics that I'm thrilled to be adding to the project. I'll share some pictures of them, however my lights are about to go out so they aren't great.
IMG_0085 (2).JPG
Also, a sneak peek of the spawning tank's scape:
IMG_0092 (2).JPG
I'm gonna go to bed now. I'll do a full update tomorrow. Goodnight reefers, and God bless.

Good morning. Here are some better shots of the corals & the tank.
IMG_0100.JPG
IMG_0094 (2).JPG
IMG_0101.JPG
I also got a big ol' tuxedo urchin and a double star to eventually add to the tank.
IMG_0097 (2).JPG
IMG_0098 (2).JPG

I've also added the first test animals to the spawning tank. Three hermits, a Leptastrea, and a Lithophyllon. If the tank holds up over the weekend, then I'll be adding everything else to it.
Y'all have a great day and God bless you!

Attachments

• IMG_0102.JPG
    IMG_0102.JPG
    300.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0103.JPG
    IMG_0103.JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 8
Update, I moved the Cynarina to the spawning tank and they all seem to be doing well. If anything goes wrong they'll let me know, which is the benefit of such expressive corals. The colors really pop under the Noopsyche K7 light!
IMG_0106 (2).JPG
IMG_0107 (2).JPGIMG_0108 (2).JPGIMG_0109 (2).JPGIMG_0110 (2).JPGIMG_0111 (2).JPG

I also bought some Halymenia from Frost Corals (who I got the second Cynarina from) that I plan to put in the tank's fuge section. However, I don't have a fuge light set up yet so in the display it goes.
IMG_0112 (2).JPG
I'll put out a list of all the vendors I got the broodstock from soon. I have to go back over my receipts.

Back