Coral placements.

mumra

Supporting
Reaction score
I want to glue my hammer, kryptonite and the red zoa that is currently behind the hammer in the pic. I was thinking of spinning around the rock on the far right and putting the hammer there, keeping the zoa where it is and the kryptonite on the rock in front of the cabbage leather.

I'm not committed to keeping anything but the cabbage and plate where they are. Those 2 seem super happy there and so does the hammer but I want to move it before it gets much bigger.

Thoughts?20230512_131955.jpg

If things are happy then move them to a similar spot for lighting/flow. Looks like you have one light in the middle so that spot is your highest light intensity spot with the edges being milder. I only see a gyre on the bottom left of the tank. It may help to put that toward the surface and crank it up for some surface agitation and it will tumble the water. The surface agitation will give you better gas exchange. But again..if things are happy it may be best to leave things alone. Just keep an eye on the kryptonite be ause your taking it from the lowest intensity to about the highest intensity spot you have but I'm not sure how heavy your par is there.

Screenshot_20230517_060446_Chrome.jpg

That is the heater on the left. The pump is in the back of the tank and there are 2 outlets at the top about 2" off center.

I've only had the kryptonite a few days so I'm not sure how it will do. Perhaps I should put it on the rock next to the zoa to keep it from being in a stronger light spot.

And yes, 1 AI light. Here are my current settings.Screenshot_20230516_102322_myAI.jpg

You might want to adjust your light channels some. The red channel you typically want very low to reduce algae. 2-10% would probably be ok. Green also should probably be reduced. You probably don’t need moonlight channel during the day, but probably won’t cause any issues. You could then adjust your white to what is pleasing to your eyes… too much white can also contribute to algae from my understanding.

you may want to read from other users who use this light and see what they recommend for different channels.

You might want to adjust your light channels some. The red channel you typically want very low to reduce algae. 2-10% would probably be ok. Green also should probably be reduced. You probably don’t need moonlight channel during the day, but probably won’t cause any issues. You could then adjust your white to what is pleasing to your eyes… too much white can also contribute to algae from my understanding.

you may want to read from other users who use this light and see what they recommend for different channels.
Thanks! I'll readjust and post back. Lighting is kinda tricky for me. I'm not color blind or anything but for example some blues and blacks are hard for me to tell apart etc.

Last edited:
in regards to my zoa. it's on a plug and the plug fits fine in a hole on one of my rocks. do I need to glue it down? are there any benefits to it as opposed to letting it grow over the rock on it's own?

You don’t need to glue the zoa. If the plug stays in the rock well it’s good. Makes it easier to move later. Eventually it’ll grow off to the rock if it’s happy.

that light adjustment looks better, corals grow in mainly the blue spectrum so they should be happier once they adjust.

Also in case you don't know, you needn't be worried about gluing under water being permanent, superglue gel and epoxy glued plugs and corals are both easily removable when done submerged. Done outside the tank on dry material and well cured is a much stronger bond.

Back