Community Interaction

ecoreefguy

Supporting
Reaction score
It’s actually been a while since I’ve seen things like tour of tanks or tank of the quarter. We should definitely get it started again. Maybe once a quarter with a theme. Like LPS dominated, Tech Tanks, Old School Tanks, Lighting Differences tank. Whatever. Hell I’ll even sponsor the winner with 100 towards their prize. Would love to see reefers and their sets up new and old and get ideas.I suck at filmography or I’d do it myself.
I think 2024 would be a great year to do different lighting highlights. T5 vs MH vs LED vs Hybrid. Do a winner in each category per quarter.

I would be all for this. There are so many unique tanks in Atlanta alone, I would love to see more of them!

the administration of such things has been a challenge looking back. Theres a fair bit of "how do you keep things fair / people from being 'creative' ? " - and then operations. Seems simple, but it does take a bit of coordination and push.

It's all valuable and really needed for the community to move forward.

The biggest issue with this club is the lack of volunteers to execute such a great idea. Unfortunately, I fall in the same category of not being available, between 3 young kids, aging parents, and work, I just don't have time to help the club. I feel a lot of people are in the same boat.

I had high hopes when we had sky high doing those cool vids, but then he turned out to be a thief and a scammer.

Maybe this thread gets someone's attention that would be willing to volunteer their time.

I really just need a filmography student or something lol. An interview with different people would be fun. I can probably do transcripts of the interview, but unfortunately my pictures would look like a 4 year olds painting. And these events are nothing without amazing photos.

It’s just that the activities on ARC of late has been lack luster. Would love to see some interaction amongst folks and stem debates on experiences. I’d be happy to type up questions that I would assume people want to know and draft it for BOD to review.

I even want to go as far as using the extra money the club have towards a new build for a Valuable Community Member. Not just on arc, but their communities rather than just throwing it at the GA Aquarium. Nothing against the aquarium, but would love to see people get rewarded. Anything to bring people out

Let’s make it happen. Send over who you think can do the videos, all your questions, and ideas of where our yearly donation should go.

I really just need a filmography student or something lol. An interview with different people would be fun. I can probably do transcripts of the interview, but unfortunately my pictures would look like a 4 year olds painting. And these events are nothing without amazing photos.

It’s just that the activities on ARC of late has been lack luster. Would love to see some interaction amongst folks and stem debates on experiences. I’d be happy to type up questions that I would assume people want to know and draft it for BOD to review.

I even want to go as far as using the extra money the club have towards a new build for a Valuable Community Member. Not just on arc, but their communities rather than just throwing it at the GA Aquarium. Nothing against the aquarium, but would love to see people get rewarded. Anything to bring people out
Supporting members get rewarded for their support of the club with the perks of the discounts, aquarium tickets, raffles, contests, etc. It's been awhile since you’ve been one so it may not be realized by yourself personally. Also, the donation must go to a non profit so if you have any suggestions I’m sure the BOD would be happy to look into them.

Supporting members get rewarded for their support of the club with the perks of the discounts, aquarium tickets, raffles, contests, etc. It's been awhile since you’ve been one so it may not be realized by yourself personally. Also, the donation must go to a non profit so if you have any suggestions I’m sure the BOD would be happy to look into them.
As stated to the PM l, I think if the forum has that much money left over. ARC isn’t being involved enough with its members. Donations to a non profit is clear, but ARC can use the funds up on other things so theirs no left overs. Frag demos giveaways eating out etc. I think a lot of us were much closer when that use to happenz talking crap at taco mac at the Prada was good fun.

I speak as a non member, I’m really not concerned with discounts. Ever wonder why some of us have a decent amount of disposable income, yet not join? Because of the opinion that if someone is not a member , they must not care or their opinions don’t matter. It’s quite the opposite. The ones that voice their opinion are generally the ones that actually care.

But you know what, you’re right. I haven’t been a paid member in a while, I don’t understand anymore. I’ll keep my mouth shut and opinions to myself.

FYI non of the funds for the club are used on board outings or dinner. 100% of the proceeds are used for the club members. Each one of us board members are completely voluntary.

Great ideas!

FWIW-
The money donated to Georgia Aquarium was derived from a MACNA show ARC sponsored years ago. The resulting profits were placed into a charitable trust and are required to be donated annually to a hobby related nonprofit. The funds do not come from club members or other activities. The trust dictates that the nonprofit recipient be selected annually by the ARC BoD.

I'm all for ideas but we need help. There are 5-7 people that do 100% of everything and we are doing everything we can to keep this Club moving forward. The ideas that you just posted are great but we can not do this alone. We are a group of smart people and good ideas abound. This Club could really be something again but everyone has ideas and when I ask them to lend a hand...crickets. I've been on the BoD for 4 years, President for 2 and I'm tired.

1696381135885.gif

Not once did I say your opinion doesn’t matter. I responded to your comment about wanting to see people get rewarded.

We don’t run a zero based budget approach to the club. The yearly donation is also completely separate from operating budget. We like to keep things is reserves to set the club up to be sustainable and handle the ups and downs.

Great ideas!

FWIW-
The money donated to Georgia Aquarium was derived from a MACNA show ARC sponsored years ago. The resulting profits were placed into a charitable trust and are required to be donated annually to a hobby related nonprofit. The funds do not come from club members or other activities. The trust dictates that the nonprofit recipient be selected annually by the ARC BoD.
I am uncleared about the ARC bylaws. I have always been under the assumption that donations must be made after operating cost and expense are met. And as long as funds are used within the community of ARC, it was ok. It’s been like that on other non profits I’ve been part of.

I am uncleared about the ARC bylaws. I have always been under the assumption that donations must be made after operating cost and expense are met. And as long as funds are used within the community of ARC, it was ok. It’s been like that on other non profits I’ve been part of.
As I mentioned. The MACNA funds trust is a completely separate legal entity from ARC.

The only real ‘connection’ is that the ARC BoD decides where the annual trust donation is made. Donations cannot go to ARC and must go to a hobby related nonprofit.

Eventually those funds will be completely donated/disbursed and the trust will be closed.

Talk about volunteering…. Yes, the ARC once put on a MACNA show here in Atlanta, and almost all of it done by club members! It was HUGE!!!

We have had Coral Expo’s and numerous meetings with nationally renowned speakers.
Again, run by volunteers.

@ecoreefguy has a great idea for a Tour of Tanks re-do and is asking for photo/video help doing it. He has even offered $100 in prize money!

I’ll match any donor(s) with $50 for a 2nd round quarterly prize of $100.

Now, who’s in? We need photo/video help…

I can take the photos/video for something like that. Would just need enough heads up to plan around it.

I, personally, would like photo contests to come back. Haven’t had one in quite a while now. There was even a thread asking for ideas, and plenty were given. If that’s something I can help with, I’m more than willing to.

I should be able to post on the ARC Instagram page here shortly. It could be cool to to take pictures/videos of peoples tanks to then feature on the IG page. Which I’m also willing to do. Maybe more social media presence will help grow the club some more as well.

Where can we offer suggestions for where the club makes a donation to? I work with several marine conservation programs in the Caribbean that could use the help. It'd be used directly for coral conservation and has local connections.

Where can we offer suggestions for where the club makes a donation to? I work with several marine conservation programs in the Caribbean that could use the help. It'd be used directly for coral conservation and has local connections.
Steve, as long as the group is a US based 501(c)(3) entity under IRS guidelines they are eligible for consideration.

You can submit requests via -

Or, to BOD members directly.

I would suggest doing so now, as that discussion is imminent.

Well no matter your goal @ecoreefguy, this thread has drawn more community attention then most in the last few months lol I would love to be a part of this project wherever I am able, I'm fluent with video editing and could assemble any footage shot by @Hunna, plus I am also a fairly ok photographer/videographer.

Back